What do you hope for in the G1 replacement?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's hard for me to think of improvements for the G1 replacement to offer. Video capability is a given, but what else?

Highly doubt that Panasonic will incorporate in-body IS any time soon, though I would love to see that. I'd also like to see better auto ISO implementation with manual focus lenses, although if someone would come along and give us a fast 40-50mm lens native to the :43: mount, I'd be happy enough.

What would other G1 owners like to see improved or changed?

2. jesse

jesse Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Hong Kong
    I would like to see if they can improve noise of image, at least up to ISO 1600

3. Ranger9

Ranger9 Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I'd like to see better high ISO performance, shorter shot-to-shot blackout times, and a one-button option to bring up the manual focus assist. That's about it...

4. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Shorter blackout would be great!

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    An electronic shutter, zero shutter lag, zero shot to shot blackout.

Even better build quality.

A slightly stronger AA filter / smoother detail.

Improved ergonomics.

Cheers

Brian

6. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All would be worthy improvements, Brian. I prefer the AA filter as it is, but that's obviously a matter of taste and, from my standpoint, not a big deal either way.

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I think the electronic shutter may be a bit further away, and I agree that AA filter strength is a design decision Panasonic are likely to continue... I guess a smarter image processor could achieve a better result actually.

I wonder whether they could infact completely do away with the AA filter and go to a software method of filtering out moire and colour artifacts?

Cheers

Brian

8. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's definitely possible, and I would love to see that. Hasselblad's Phocus removes aliasing artifacts and gets very good reviews for the way it handles that. In time, I suspect that this will be a feature of Lightroom and other "comprehensive" RAW processors. It may be difficult to do a good job of that in camera though, and I doubt Panasonic/Olympus will want to sacrifice in-camera JPEG quality.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    does anyone believe a "G2" will be developed, or if the G/GH1 will merge into a single line? The exclusion of video seems a bit ridiculous at this point.

It also might make room for a "pro-am" m43's a step above the G/GH1.

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm not sure about a G2, the GF1 is a slightly improved & repackaged G1 with video... so I guess a GF1 in G1 shell could be a G2.

I suppose the defining factor of a new generation camera for me, is one with a new sensor / imaging pipeline which clearly demonstrates an advance in image quality.

That would be the G2/E-P3/GH2 of interest.

Cheers

Brian

11. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree and feel that there is room for improvement. However, in the absence of other factors, one generation of improvement in image quality is rarely enough to make me upgrade.

It's interesting to compare the 7-year-old Canon 10D with the new Canon 7D and Panasonic G1 in DxOmark (link). There are only minimal differences amongst them in signal/noise, color sensitivity, and tonal range. However, along the way, between the 10D and 7D, Canon made a jump in dynamic range. I'd like to see Panasonic make some progress in this area.

Attached Files:

• SNR.JPG
      SNR.JPG
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
    • TR.JPG
      TR.JPG
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
    • CS.JPG
      CS.JPG
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • DR.JPG
      DR.JPG
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
  12. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Sensor improvements are always welcome, but I'd be happy with a few firmware tweaks on the G1. My biggest wish would be a way to set a minimum shutter speed that auto-ISO would try to maintain. This would be useful with manual lenses where the current limit of 1/30 may be inappropriate due to hand-holdability, and in situations with subject movement.

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    You raise a good point - I really don't think that Panasonic or Olympus are doing anywhere near enough to continue supporting their released cameras with firmware upgrades.

They're missing a huge opportunity, to enhance customer satisfaction and encourage customer loyalty imho.

Cheers

Brian

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My guess is, the reason why PDAF SLR's don't have the black out issue is simply because they are not updating the LCD realtime. Updating the LCD at the same time trying to read the sensor and the write the picture to flash is no easy task for a processor. Even if it had more ram to buffer pictures before writing them, it would take some significant horsepower to do all this while updating the LCD. This is my guess as why the LCD goes black after a picture is taken.

15. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    For me a few things would be nice. I think it would be nice if a body/lens were weather sealed.

Dj

16. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's a touchy situation to say the least.
    You buy a camera, fall in love, use it and then start to really depend on it only to find out that as Brian stated, it's an orphan. No firmware updates come it's way...
    This upsets me to no end with OLY......now I hear Panny is doing the same thing....

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Perfect example... GF1 gets the '1 button MF assist' fix, which we asked for when the G1 was released. Why are we still waiting for the G1 firmware upgrade?

Things are equally, frustratingly quiet on the E-P1 firmware front... there are a number of improvements due there too :horse:

Cheers

Brian

18. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It is strange, isn't it! When I saw an announcement about the GF1 firmware update (and a bunch of lens updates), I raced to the Panasonic site to get my G1 and GH1 updates. No love there :confused:.

19. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    I don't see them as much different than any other camera manufacturer. You'll get an occasional bug fix, but generally what you buy is what you're going to have. There are occasional exceptions though, like Panasonic's last LX-3 firmware upgrade.

20. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In my business(un-related to photography mind you), we always have updates, even on legacy products. It simply is demanded of us if we wish to stay in business. But, on that same level, we don't have new and replacing products out every 6 months, either. Even when we are in a situation where we have similar products on similar platforms, it sometimes is up to the marketing department and bean counters to decide if a firmware upgrade is necessary on an older product, even if we can make the fix for the products. It simply becomes a choice for the company to force our customers to buy the new latest and greatest product with the fix, even though there have been lots of customers complaining.

My guess is, its a business decision. Its not always a case of whether they can do it as it is whether they want to.

Dj