1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What do you guys think of this bag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by thebigham, Nov 5, 2011.

1. thebigham

thebigham New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2011
    I have been looking for a bag to store my camera/lens/laptop/folder/1-subject notebook.
    I found this one that seems pretty good.
    Tenba - Messenger: Mini Photo/Laptop Bag

or anybody have other suggestions for me? Thank you.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    zomg its HUGE
    but i guess yer carrying enuf to fill it
    but id rather ditch everything but the camera and an ipad, and have a smaller bag ;)
    but it seems to suit YOUR needs well :D

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I have both the Mini Messenger and the Small Messenger. Before I got the Small (and before I had very many m4/3 lenses) I used the Mini version like this:

P1000686.

P1000683.

P1000682.

Now I use the Mini as a daily carry bag (man bag) which carries the iPad, sunglasses, wallet, checkbook, iPhone, LX5 camera, wideangle lens for LX5, pens, notepad, reading glasses, small flashlight, and Glock 19 w/spare 17-rnd mag. Wherever I go, this case goes. Keeps me from having a bunch of stuff in my pockets and I know I've got everything I need in one highly transportable case.

I use the Tenba Small Messenger for my m4/3 kit now. It's a bigger bag, in spite of being called "small", it's not exactly small. It holds GH2 or G3, E-PL3 & EVF, 7-14, 14-140, 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 20/1.7, Canon 50/1.4, Zeiss 85/1.4, various remote releases, filters, step up rings, lens hoods, spare batteries, flash cards, etc. This is the case I take when I know I'm going to want to do make some images and want to have all my bases covered.

I also use a much smaller bag (Nikon brand) which can carry the E-PL3, EVF, 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 when I want to travel "lite" and make images.

The Tenba Messenger line are exceptionally well made and designed cases. I love mine.

4. thebigham

thebigham New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2011
    WOW! Thanks for the pictures! They are really helpful. It seems like there's plenty of space for me. Which is a good thing! I always bring everything with me everywhere I go. The one in the picture is the Mini version right? I read some reviews on Amazon. Some complained about the metal in the shoulder strap broke easily. What do you think?

5. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yes... the pics are of the mini. I haven't had any problems with the strap hardware.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's an ugly bag.

7. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I jad the Tenba for a while, definitely a good bag. A bit big for me at the time, so I sold it. In the meantime, I got a Vanguard up-rise and love it. Definitely an alternative, even if it is a few $$ more. It's just a little slimmer but can be expanded when needed, comes with a raincover (not that I ever used it, but nice to have), plenty of pockets, the same top access option as the Tenba, and a sleeve so that you can slde it over the handle of your carry-on which I love for travel. I don't have pics but you should be able to find them on the web. I have the up-rise 33. You can also take out the camera insert (doesn't work with the Tenba mini) and use it as a regular messenger bag.

Stefan

8. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Where are you putting the Glock? I don't see it in the bag and would expect it to imprint badly in a flap pocket.

I ended up with a Tenba Small from a eBay auction. The seller didn't realize he had a mini. When it arrived and the error was discovered he offered to take it back but the price was good enough I kept it.

The small is a bit larger than I want for every day but I do want something that will hold an iPad, E-PL2, and several lenses. I've been debating between the Tenba Mini and a Clik Traveler but nowhere close has either in stock.

Thanks for the pics of the mini.

9. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Hmm, from reading the specs, I would think the Mini is noticeably smaller than the Vanguard which (according to the listed specs) is almost the same size as the Tenba Small. This is why I wish places like B&H and Amazon would offer a way to compare bags side-by-side (visual images) online. It should be possible to require companies to submit photos done to a certain size for easy comparison.

10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    WJW... you're welcome. Yes, I love these Tenba Messengers. Having both the Mini and the Small, there is a lot of flexibility depending on the particular need/application you have at the moment. The G19 in a High Noon Mister Softy holster (and a spare mag) ride in the top right compartment as you view the image showing the open bag from directly overhead. This way I can quickly and easily transfer the holstered G19 between my inner waistband and the Tenba, back and forth, as desired. No printing issues.

11. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    One difference between the Tenba mini and the Vanguard is that the Tenba is wider at the bottom, so that you can get two lenses next to each other like in the pics above. The dividers don't come up all the way. In the Vanguard, the dividers are coming up higher, and I stack my lenses in there - I epoxied rear caps back to back so tnat they don't scratch each other up. That keeps the bag overall a bit slimmer, purely personal preference, I guess. If the dividers had been temporarily removable, I would have kept the Tenba. As it is, the Vanguard gives me more flexibility to use it in other situations.

Stefan

12. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

Looks good and fitted lot of equipment, i just got my lowepro compuday 150 with additional padded partition, it can fitted my laptop,epl+3-4 fix lens+external hdd and my future 2nd body dslr in it:)

13. madvette

madvette Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 2, 2011
    El Monte, CA
    I actually have had the Large Tenba Mess bag for 2 years now, Its a great bag, I carry my 15inch macbook pro, Canon 7d, 17-50 tamron, 35mm 1.4L, 85mm 1.2L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. I also fit 2 GF2's with 20 and 14 attached to each one.

Dont have any issues with the Shoulder strap.