What do you do with your photos?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jpcairns, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Simple question here: what do you do with your photos?

If you aren't a professional, do you simply just store them on your computer and never look at them again (or maybe go through some every couple months)? Do you put them on your computer and get a couple printed each year, such as your best ones?

I'm just curious as I feel that I do "nothing" with my photos (other than travel ones or the odd ones which I quite enjoy and do get printed). Of course I enjoy the capturing and editing aspect as a hobby, but after that I feel they just go to waste.

Is there anything particular you do with yours? Something to make them a little more worth while in essence?
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've recently started printing a few of them. I think this will only increase. They really look more like photos when they are printed.
  3. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    For the most part, I just enjoy the process of creating something and sharing it with anyone who might be interested. I also live in a very artsy town and have been offered a few spots in some local galleries and restaurants. It's fun to see your work displayed. I'm still an enthusiast, and I don't do this stuff for money, just fun. If I sell a print here or there, it's just gravy.
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I print quite a few 4x6 shots for family members....:smile:
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was amazed at how many I never look at again, but in no way can get myself to "cull" more viciously.
  6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I print a handful of recent favorites every few months and hang 'em on the wall.
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I print as much as I can, preferably as big as possible (or as big as I can afford, depending on the circumstances). Sometimes, I feel like I've plastered the walls with

Other than that, the majority of my photos are rotated every 30 minutes as my computer screen background.
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    To keep the gear dollars flowing I print photos of the grand kids for my wife. I call 'em 'refrigerator prints'. Goes a long way in keeping discussions about the price of lenses to a minimum. :biggrin:

Vacation photos, zoo photos, air show photos, etc. I selectively print (mostly 4x6 but some 8x10), frame, and hang. I rotate those as new photos are made.

Family gathering photos I burn to DVD/CD and send to family members. Generally these are well received, although sometimes I have received grief because I refuse to do weddings. (There have been times I have relented, but those have been few and far between; I hate photographing weddings).

I purchased an "electronic photo frame" awhile back, one of those modern marvels that displays a slide show of photos stored on a memory card. The results were...indifferent. Prints framed and hung will sometimes garner comment ("Nice shot of the bear, did you take that in Alaska?" or - more common - "How in the heck did you screw that photo up that badly? Is your printer broken?" :wink:) but the "electronic frame" was apparently ignored by both residents and guests.:43: It's stored in the basement, unloved and not missed.

A few years ago I started a FlickR account and uploaded photos for friends and family to view. I got some nice comments ("Charity begins with me..." :biggrin:) but I found I prefer sending disks or prints to folks. I closed the FlickR account.

I do my own printing (which, of course, is more expensive than using a service in most cases) because I enjoy the process.

I find I enjoy looking at prints more than I do looking at computer images.

Of course YMMV.

9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I print a few select images on 40" canvas for the wall, as well as smaller sizes like 8x10. All my processed images go on Flickr into organised sets so that if I want I can view them wherever I have an internet connection on Flickr or Fluidr.
  10. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    I put my favorites on my blog, which is shared primarily with family. I rarely print, but always love it when I do and wish I did more of it.
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I like to enjoy old photos in a few ways..sometimes sharing here on flickr, or just to friends, and i also enjoy making photobooks after trips. I try to make prints every month. Its a good way to have a hard backup of your work and something tangible to enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  12. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Same here, this is the one thing I always do. Especially with online ones you can do through Photobook Canada and whatnot, they are pretty fantastic, easy, and cheap.
  13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons

Print some, sell some to people that contact me for prints or files. Mainly it's just for my own enjoyment.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    I generally view them on screen and post them on facebook. The wife recently bought me a large collage frame, so I need to print some out, but this will be my first attempt.
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Some go up on Flickr, a few on Facebook, a lot are rotated every 2 minutes on my desktops (I run 4 virtual desktops on all my Macs), and a large number just sit on my drive until I decide to go through. But the nicest stuff gets printed. Printed images are my favorite way to view things.

Most are printed at about 24"x16" (60x40cm), often mounted on foam board with a self adhesive layer. it's cheap, easy, looks clean and simple, although it can warp if humidity shift too much. Adding some aluminum angle can help (double-stick tape). I also really enjoy panoramas, so I've got three stupid-large prints (2 of Antarctica, 1 of Cape Town), and by 'stupid large' I mean between 70" and 82" wide, differing heights. One behind acrylic with aluminum dibond backing (looks fantastic for that image, a kind of 'dreamy' ice seascape with ominous clouds) and two direct print on dibond with a matte cover which also look really good and are significantly cheaper. And lighter.

If you've never printed large, do yourself a favor and try it out. Really makes things come to life. Try different papers, and a good quality printing center as well. My 'standard' is gloss Fuji paper, and Fuji Pearl paper for shots I think can take it (things with high contrast, sunsets and sunrises look amazing on pearlescent papers). Still looking for a local place that does metallic prints, interested to see how some black/white conversions work. Those already look great in pearl..
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm a professional photographer so not much help here - the obvious use for almost all my photos is whatever I was paid to shoot them for. The only non-professional venue I use for my photos is Fickr, and for wallpapers (phone and computer). On Flickr I'm part of a group where we have these games - A theme is picked and 4 players post up a related photo from our Flickrstream, then we all vote on our favorites.
  17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Some on Flickr, every now and then I'll print a few and put em on the wall. But at the end of each year and sometimes more often (like after a particularly epic trip/adventure) I print a photo book of my best stuff. That way I have a hard copy and in a format that's easy to just sit down and flip through, which I'm not apt to do on my computer. And sometimes I'll send a copy of the book to close friends / family that seem to like my stuff. Not as oppressive as making them sit through slide shows, as my Dad sometimes did in the old days - the shots are there to look at, or not, at their convenience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    great question! :thumbup:

I do the following ...
    - print some 4x6 of the kid's photos to put into album for "coffee table"-type reading for guest
    - print a few bigger sizes and frame as gifts for friends/relatives
    - i pick a few to put in our digital picture frame
    - some I post in flickr to share in various websites
    - share some at facebook for some remote friends

over the weekend, I ordered an 8x12 canvass print with the portrait of my kids. if it turns out good, I might get into doing this more to hang around the home and to give grandma/grandpa :smile: