What do you do with all your photos? (for non professionals)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by manju69, Dec 13, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I have been loving getting back into photography with the discovery of this format, adding to my collection of over 2k photographs. The thing is they mostly sit on my hard drive! So here is the question... Apart from storing them and occasional viewing, i am looking for some creative ideas as to what do you do next? Any ideas and challenges welcome!

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    nothing creative but I keep / display some of them on both
    flickr & Pbase as well as posting to facebook & google+.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  4. Digital Playback!

Put them into long slide shows by theme, play back on my 42" wall mounted TV as an alternative to having pictures in a frame. Great at a dinner party, although it can be a bit distracting. Better than having a blank screen sitting there though!
    We have a blog that belongs to our extended family, perhaps 20-30 people view it regularly. We all upload quite often, and it is a great way of being there for birthdays, weddings, holidays etc, when we are scattered all over the world.
    And of course, there's Facebook for all the other folk!

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Well it's not creative, but I finally got around to printing out some of my favorites from this year and they're now hanging on the wall.

This Kickstarter project looks cool too for a real-life photostream at home.

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Well I've got them all over the place. The cloud. External drives. Old computers. Disks. I used to have many framed prints but that box got lost somewhere. Maybe one day I will make up some albums. Somebody might look at them one day after I'm gone. Probably not though. :rolleyes:

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I delete them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Well, first I buy a two- or three-terabyte hard drive. I fill that up with photos (shooting RAW+JPEG makes it easy), buy a pair of new shoes, toss the shoes, and then put the hard drive in the shoebox. Then I put the shoebox under my bed where it sits gathering dust.

Just kidding there.

• Like Like x 3
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    4x6 & 5x7 prints for scrapbooks, etc....

10. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    I post to Flickr and just play with them in Lightroom.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I had to buy an additional 2TB external hard drive for photo and video storage. I have google picasa account where i store selected photos for sharing with family and friends. Very convinient for viewing on iphone and ipad (there is a good app myPics HD). I rarely print, everyone prefers to view photos digitally these days. By the way, ipad is unforgiving, double tap and here is your noise...Imagine what will happen when they'll double the resolution next year. The noise will be seen w/o double tapping, lol

12. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I do the 4x6 and 5x7 scrapbook thing RT_Panther suggests. The books often are themed since my wife likes to browse them that way and show off the grandkids' birthdays / summers / Thanksgivings / Christmases / etc. to her friends.

I also print many of them in large format (11x14 or larger) to hang in the den, office and other "gallery" spaces around the house. It's much nicer to see some favorite memories in those spots than some non-descript color-matches-the-couch "decorator art." :rolleyes:

I print one to two shots each month for hanging (on average). Then we cycle them around the house and in-and-out of storage every few weeks or months or whenever the mood strikes one of us.

For sharing with family I usually burn a "collection" to CD or DVD (depending on quantity). In the past when we printed them (and even now when we show print albums) folks always ask "Oh, can I have this one?" or that one. And soon we only have a short handful of the worst shots for ourselves. Now I just hand them a disk with everything in the album. Let 'em take it to WalMart and pay for their own prints if they want prints! :tongue:

Now, if I could just figure out how to index all these 5TB hard drives on contact sheets to place in a three-ring binder for future reference...

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Create digital albums for the iPhone, iPad, parent's iPad and digital photo frame, in-law digital photo frame,

Backgrounds and screensavers for aforementioned devices

And hard drives. Lots of hard drives. It funny how things are growing. There was once a time when a decade's worth of digital photos would fit on a single 1TB drive. Now it's one 1Tb drive per year, excluding video.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, for years not much of anything with most. But I'm in the process of going through a lot of them in LR, and I'll be putting together a slide show that can play on an older monitor on my old laptop in the family room. I'm putting some online and sending links to family and friends who might be interested. M mother-in-law and wife got digital photo frames a couple of years ago, so I update those from time to time, but mostly with pics of the family. I'll be printing some to display at home and at work, and rotating my "gallery" periodically. Oh, and this year I've had a couple of photo calendars printed as gifts (Shutterfly - they did a good job) and I've ordered a photo book from Adorama, also as a gift.

Unless you're a lot better photographer than I am (very possible), I suspect some / many of your images may not be worth keeping. Weeding out bad and marginal shots, I think, is as important as keeping and displaying the good ones. There's no point in wading through images you know you'll never do anything with over and over again.

15. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    All of the above. I love digital photography. :smile:

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    This is my struggle as well. It's just too easy to keep the shots that simply are not keepers. For 2012 I am committing to at least sorting out the "good ones" and making them more accessible.

As it stands now, I share stuff on line through SmugMug and Picasa, display on digital devices at home, print and purchase small and larger prints for display, and still share quite a few 4x6s with family (especially my 90 yr old grandmother who is not going to go digital in this lifetime).

17. I sort all my photos by year, by date/place/event, and by camera, and save the original images in these folders which have been subject to a mild cull of the truly bad and the truly average. Any image that I want to take further will go into a "processed" folder (one per year) and be sorted by camera/lens. These images eventually get uploaded to my flickr account which I tend to use as something of a file management tool.

From there I might occasionally print some, but mostly I would view them electronically either on flickr or flickriver or as a slideshow on the TV.

18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    By coincidence, just last night I set up an old TC1100 tablet computer in its dock on a living room table. It's running this screensaver: Amaze Multimedia and Image Slideshow Screen Saver Software - Leading digital photo slide show screensaver!, which is pointed to a folder of "favorite" photos on my NAS server.

Kind of fun, seeing a new photo every 15 seconds. The software has lots of options for timing, transitions, etc. if you like wipes and dissolves. It will also show videos and access photos on the web.

There are many cheap "all-in-one" computers that could serve in this role, some with quite large screen sizes.

19. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I have about 10 boxes of prints under a spare bed that hardly ever see the light of day, so storing digital stuff is easy. Since I'm new to this medium, I just toss the bad ones and keep the good ones (not too many of those, yet!)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Also, I once saw a TV commercial for Kodak ... it had a house where nearly every square inch was covered with a framed photograph ... so that is what I did to my house.

G

• Like Like x 2