What do you collect?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Both photography and non-photography, I collect:
- Photobooks. I buy a large number of independent and published photobooks. Kickstarter is a gold mine.
- Various coffee making apparatuses, this isn't intentional, I like to experiment with coffee
- Some old film cameras, but not really, time and money that would be involved here doesn't really help

In the past I have collected:
- Warhammer/Warhammer 40K miniatures, did this for a couple of years during high school. Warhammer is expensive for adults, prohibitively expensive for teenagers, so it didn't last that long. If it'd been more reasonably priced I probably would've stuck with it for longer.
- Music. I used to be a trance DJ. I have a large collection (1500ish) of trance and progressive house records
- Coffee tasting note cards. I'm obsessed with coffee, I used to keep a journal of coffee I'd tasted and used to keep the tasting note cards if there were any.
- Imperial stouts and porters. I also love beer, imperial stouts age quite well. I've only got a couple of bottles left now, (by choice, I don't need a large collection of alcohol in my life)
- Nintendo Switch games, rare games and collectibles. I bought a Switch last year and sold it earlier this year, I LOVED the Switch and loved collecting games and collectibles, but was ignoring other hobbies (especially photography) and was putting on weight. I got to a point where I knew that in 10 years time, I would regret spending so much time with video games now so made a conscious decision to have a clean break.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Minolta SR-mount lenses. There's still several I haven't gotten hold of yet.

Photo books... Have a few so far, all 20th century photographers. Last acquisition was a large set by Julius Shulman.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
My better half tells me i collect Junk ..... she's probably correct :)

In the past I have collected:
- Warhammer/Warhammer 40K miniatures, did this for a couple of years during high school. Warhammer is expensive for adults, prohibitively expensive for teenagers, so it didn't last that long. If it'd been more reasonably priced I probably would've stuck with it for longer.
Interestingly her second youngest son paints said miniatures for sale, i've been wanting to do a project to photograph a lot of them but haven't got to it yet...

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Music. I used to be a trance DJ. I have a large collection (1500ish) of trance and progressive house records
If you have anywhere you've listed out some top trance selections that are maybe a little off the beaten path, you should clue us in - I, for one, really enjoy good trance (oddly enough, it's my favorite "thinking" music for writing or doing other thought intensive work) but I feel lost trying to find really good stuff that's not the same few artists.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
If you have anywhere you've listed out some top trance selections that are maybe a little off the beaten path, you should clue us in - I, for one, really enjoy good trance (oddly enough, it's my favorite "thinking" music for writing or doing other thought intensive work) but I feel lost trying to find really good stuff that's not the same few artists.
TBH I pretty much only listen to late 90's/early 00's Gatecrasher, Global Underground, Renaissance compilations now. Trance really went downhill in the mid-late 00's as it became more popular. It's glorified pop music to me now :(

It hurts a bit. It was a culture I used to love and live for.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
When I was a kid and everyone went through a basketball and football (which was more common in Australia) I wanted to be different and collected Harley Davidson cards.

Which was just plain weird because I've never actually liked Harley Davidson in my life.

Real Name
Roddy
Minolta SR-mount lenses. There's still several I haven't gotten hold of yet.
Lots of Minolta gear here in Europe. The flea markets are full of it. Let me know what you're looking for.....and if you ever find anything that won't ship to you on fleabay or similar have them send to me and I'll post on for you.

OldRex

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
Closest to qualifying as "collecting" would be
  • Lego - 80 Sets making up about 65,000 parts
  • Watches - Better not to quantify this one :)
I also have a small pen collection but I stopped collecting since I actually hate writing. I blame that on the nuns and their "methods" of encouragement.
And a small number of various knives made up of mostly pocket knives including one from my WWI that was my grandfathers - nothing fancy, just sentimental.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
  • Fast older Olympus lenses, OM and 4/3rds.
  • Farm machinery, mostly not working very well, which I fiddle with until it works even worse. :)
  • Goat milk, twice a day.
  • Data. My daily weight since 1981, the food that we harvest and sell, over 8,000 of my favourite quotes, characteristics of over 10,000 plants, inventory of my camera gear, farm machinery, books, etc.
  • Old technology that I think will survive after the coming bottleneck event, like scythes, hand tools, etc.
  • Books, over 1,200, all catalogued by Dewey Decimal System, along with some 30,000 in electronic form. (The latter are easier to sneak past my wife, who is busy collecting sewing fabric…)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
I collect stuff that might be useful someday.
It drives my wife nuts.
I ignore her, and carry on.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Photography seems to be my biggest collection of anything. I'm very good though as I sell what I'm not using so I don't have too much.
I did acquire a couple of old film cameras and even though a couple were like new I don't think they functioned properly so I sold the bodies and kept a couple of the lenses as I can use them in manual focus on my Sony. Canon 50mm f1.4, 28mm f2.8, 70-200mm f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, 135mm f2.8 and a mid range zoom.
BUT ... I did acquire a beautiful PEN-F which I will not part with. I don't shoot film but I just love it.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I collect postage stamps, and in particular mint unhinged stamps from between 1876 to 1966 from the former British Guiana. My collection is actually better than the one held by the postal museum in Guyana, which came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom