What do we want in the new OMD EM-1 Mk2 (Em-1n)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ashburtononline, May 28, 2015.

1. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Need the following .....

1. Twin SD cards
    2. The ability to shoot while the images are being written to the cards. This drives me nuts !
    3. better battery life .... but NOT a new battery.
    4. NOT a new battery back ... use the 7 like the EM1 but IF a new pack is necessary, let two batteries fit in it.
    5. NOT a swivel screen ....
    6. better high ISO would be great but that's an evolutionary thing
    7. 20mp would be great as long as high ISO performance is not a penalty

Personally, I don't care about video (EM5 can cover that) especially if it effects image quality in any way.

Discuss :)
  2. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    1.) A swivel screen (finally want to be able to use the foldout screen in portrait orientation again)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    1. Faster autofocus for action
    2. Wider dynamic range sensor
    3. Improved high ISO performance
    4. Faster write to SD cards (faster buss & processor)
    5. Keep the existing button layout
    6. Keep the existing tilt LCD system
    7. Keep the existing battery system unless a much improved alternative comes along
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    1. Keep existing button layout
    2. Improved video codec and features (yes, some of us do use it for video)
    3. Same battery and grip.
    4. Flip out screen
    5. Further improvement to CF for action
    6. Improved CF for video utilising the phase detect to stop the little jump the contrast detect gives.
    7. 20mp would be nice but only if noise is not increased

Will add more as I think of them.
  5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    - the new 20mp Sony-sensor (or similar) with less noise
    - 4k video and new codec
    - better tracking
    - better battery life (hopefully with same old battery)
    - handheld High Res Shot (with wider range of options, e.g. ISO3200)
    - ISO50
    - lighter (50-100g if possible)
    - better looking in silver :biggrin:

and the most important (possible deal breaker)
    - flip screen!!! :crying:
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    - dual SD (one standard and one micro?)
    - better C-AF (and Pana DFD sounds nice on paper)
    - NO shutter shock
    - No EVF blackout during AF burst (or no blackout ever)
    - assign ANY function to ANY function button!!
    - some menu' review (MySet for example is a mess, in-camera raw development too)
    - Small labels for MySets
    - possibility to configure/backup/restore camera settings using a PC/mobile application via USB
    - usb charge and usb power while shooting?
    - wifi that does not disable all controls on the camera (and flash RC mode too)
    - public/open API to control the camera via wifi
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    1. Definitely a fully articulated screen; it is better suited to a large body. When the E-M5 MkIII comes out in two-and-a-half years time they can convert that model back to a tilt-only screen.

2. Continue using a non-Sony sensor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    1. Ergonomic menus and screen controls. Design the touchscreen controls for touchscreen use. Not just for up-down arrow use. EG 1 tap ISO selection. 1 tap shooting mode selection. User SCP. All menu options that have an on/off setting, to toggle. Removing the submenu.

2. Myset use to be clearer. EG. "Save" +"Confirm" and "Use" or "Apply".

3. Screen that flips up as well as swivels. Making the camera appeal to more people. Increasing its market share. And spend the increased income on better sensor performance. Oh. And make sure the EVF sensor works when required.

4. EM5ii type bounce-swivel flash.

5. Hand held 40mp wiggle sensor.
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1. Electronic shutter with equivalent raw bit depth of mechanical shutter.
    2. Sony style swivel/tilt LCD.
    3. Better C/AF + TR with zones, including for video.
    4. Better noise performance.
    5. Better video codec - 1080P is fine but it needs to be excellent.
    6. Hold button and spin dial to change MySets rather than mode dial or single toggle button, so I can have activated MySets but override P/A/S/M, without going through menu.
    7. One handed on-off and shutter operation.
    8. Anti-shock time set by pressing Info in drive mode setting rather than having to dig through menus.
    9. Panasonic style touch screen AF select even while using EVF.
    10. EM5II style flash, get rid of accessory port.
    11. Solve the mess of purple flare with Panasonic lenses...
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    1. 4K and new codec

For me, it would need to be any one of the above. :)

Any thoughts on when E-M1 mk ll might be announced? I forgot when the current version was announced.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Venser

Venser Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    On switch on the right side of the camera.
    That is all.
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    8. The ability to get the name right, ... I'll get me coat ...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    4K 96/60/30/24 fps and a very good codec - something like ProRes and make the HDMI 10 bit 4:4:2

That's the one thing the DSLR can not compete on, look what the Gh4 has done for Panasonic - lots of awareness in the opinion makers. I'm going to buy either a GX8 (depends on the codecs they give it) or a EM1 II or Gh5 and it will be my last camera for a while and I'm willing to spend up to $1800 for the right feature set. Honestly I'd really like the EM-1 II to be the one but this time 4k video and it's fps rates and codecs are going to determine who gets my money.
  14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    September 10, 2013. I would imagine there will be an announcement some time around September, especially with the price drops on the current E-M1. Here in Korea, the E-M1 now sells for less than the E-M5 II.

15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Regardless of my wish list for the new camera, my guess is that the new E-M1 II will be an evolutionary product, adding the enhancements seen in the E-M5 II. I also predict that the camera will be ever so slightly bigger as a means to balance the larger PRO lenses that they've been adding and will probably continue to add. IMO, it will NOT be the revolutionary camera that everyone is hoping for.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, you are probably right that it will be evolutionary. However, they can easily add 4K but turning off IBIS when 4K is selected. I think that you are right about a new E-M1 ll being announced in September.
  17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Very Simple. Make it as good as the GH4 but with added IBIS (Stills and Video quality). Also up the 4K to 60fps minus the crop factor = WINNER!

I'd also like to see more than 96fps in video mode that the GH4 currently has. I"d sell my EM-5 Mark II in a heartbeat and pick up the EM-1 Mark II!
  18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If it's not a revolutionary camera - which is to say, it doesn't have a notably improved sensor - I think Olympus will be in big trouble. There's simply no reason for them to keep churning out iterative cameras with very little to distinguish between them. And with the way the camera market is going (reduced demand, longer cycles, lower margins), they won't be able to afford to have a sensor that is functionally equivalent to the original E-M5 sensor for another 2-3 years. At the end of that life cycle they'll be putting up a 6-7 year old 4/3 sensor against APS-C and FF sensors that have had multiple refreshes in the intervening time. It'll be like the 4/3 days all over again.

That is, unless they plan on releasing a new sensor on an E-PM3, E-PL8, or E-M11. Which is a bizarre and nonsensical business strategy that would undercut themselves at the knees...
    • Agree Agree x 4
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen any notable improvements in APS-C or FF sensors since before the current 16MP batch of 4/3 sensors was put into production. The current 24MP sony sensor being used in most of the APS-C cameras was launched in 2012 in the NEX-7. That's when the E-M5 came out. Canon just barely got there this year with the Rebel T6s. Fujifilm hasn't had a sensor update since they launched the system. 2012 is also the year the D600 and D800 launched the 24 and 36MP sony FF sensors that all the major FF cameras use. Canon has a 50MP FF sensor, but it goes backwards in some areas to get that resolution, so it's hard to call it progression.

What more do we want out of the sensors anyway? I have exactly zero complaints with Olympus and Panasonic 16MP sensors. What could be "notably" improved?
  20. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    That's a bit dramatic. The fact is, the original E-M5 was a revolutionary camera when it was released and it was one that pretty much set a path for Olympus to be reckoned with on a serious level. That was just three years ago. Fuji has been churning out the same sensor cameras in recent years with the very same X-Trans sensor. That includes their latest X-T10 which is due to hit the stores in June. I don't expect either Olympus or Fuji to come out with a new sensor camera until at least next year's Photokina (September 2016) and in the case of Olympus, most likely not until 2017 when the E-M1 III and E-M5 III will be released. Typically with cameras, the second iteration of a model is usually minor updates so I don't expect to see a major upgrade until the E-M1 III or the E-M5 III.

I enjoyed my one year time with the E-M1 and I'm currently enjoying my time with my E-M5 II. I don't believe for a second that either camera held me back in terms of getting the images I wanted within my expectations of the camera itself. These two cameras are more than capable in their current state. Do I wish for this and that? Sure, who doesn't. But the reality is that I don't expect to be amazed by every iteration of an OM-D camera that comes out. In the camera industry and the tech industry as a whole, jaw dropping "wow" products are few and far in between.

• Agree Agree x 3