What do we want in a possible Pen F successor?

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
I could live without 4K (although a new model would definitely have it) but would like a better viewfinder.
I can live without it too and would love a better viewfinder but the ergonomics and look of the current body is really great. Some minor tweaks to the current body is all I need to buy another one. Making it bigger and changing the look might not be for the better.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My entire Mu43 holdings at this point are all Pens. I have an E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 (two of those actually), E-PM1, E-PL7. and an E-P5. The first four are not really worth selling and I still use the last two. I still love the build of the E-P1.

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
I love my PEN-F, currently using it primarily with the 17mm f1.8 prime and sometimes outdoors with the old 12-42mm EZ and auto lens cap. A few years ago, I took the PEN-F (with a JB Custom grip attached) and the 12-100mm f4 PRO as my primary gear on an overseas trip. The combo worked well.

It's a fun camera.

What I would like to see first is another firmware update for the current PEN-F similar to what was done for the e-m1II.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Leica CL $3,095.00
Pen-f $999.95
I’ve written it just to know the bigger evf is possible in similar body
Price isn't the difference. The difference is no IBIS, a fixed LCD, and the placement of the LCD.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If they don't release another Pen F model can we then call the nonexistent model the "Pen FU from Olympus"? :laugh1:

Vivalo

Olympus loser
Some ideas here. I don't own a Pen F neither have used it; just thought this video could help with another view of the issue.

I like Darren's idea of a new Pen, but how Olympus could put the E-M1 mkiii features in a Pen-F body?! Is there really so much space wasted in E-M1 mkiii? Because that is essentially what he is asking Olympus to do.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I like Darren's idea of a new Pen, but how Olympus could put the E-M1 mkiii features in a Pen-F body?! Is there really so much space wasted in E-M1 mkiii? Because that is essentially what he is asking Olympus to do.
Well, Oly could theoretically bring the Pen F up to E-M5 III standards. It's about the same size, just a different form factor.

Yeah, think he is reaching, but weather sealing is a great add. The 2 card slots I don't really care about, and the extra one does take up some space that isn't to hard to see how much either. Camera has to be thicker or taller to do it. I have never had any lens on my Pen-F that makes the tripod mount placement an issue, but I have read that 100's of times, and should be easy to move, but keep it solid. Not asking for much more. But I'm still a fan of a camera with interchangeable LCDs, where you can have a flip out, or a tilt only version, where you can add the one you want for the adventure you are going on, or just get the one that you need/want. Interchangeable option could be a good thing.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Weather sealing should not be a big issue, but a lot of other suggestions in the video would make the camera a lot bigger. Adding a battery grip means the connector plate and running power to base area. A second card slot with weather sealed door needs space.
Perhaps rather than a E-M1 Mkiii in a PEN body we should be thinking of a E-M5 Mkiii in a PEN body, with (horror from some quarters) the BLS-50 battery.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
I wouldn't mind the BLS-50 battery as long as it features the USB-C fast charging from E-M1 mkIII. That was maybe the biggest reason why I upgraded from E-M5 mk2 to E-M1 mk3 not mk2 since E-M1 mk2 didn't have that feature.

A tad off topic, but the Pen-F is by FAR the hardest bit of Olympus gear that I have tried to sell. Not that no one would pay the price, but that I just can't post the pictures and write the for sale words. Doesn't get enough use, doesn't give me a good feeling to not have one. That kind of thing.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
A tad off topic, but the Pen-F is by FAR the hardest bit of Olympus gear that I have tried to sell. Not that no one would pay the price, but that I just can't post the pictures and write the for sale words. Doesn't get enough use, doesn't give me a good feeling to not have one. That kind of thing.
Can understand. I like having a non-SLR looking camera, and it is the best looking by far.
Had one, as well as a P5. Tried to sell the P5, with no takers, and needed to get some cash, so decided I had to sell the PEN-F. Then a local shop had brand new ones at half price so got another (black) one, and this time managed to sell the P5. This one will be a keeper.
The thing with the PEN-F is that it is superb engineering, with not a single screw visible. Looks great, must be a nightmare to service.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Olympus releases a Pen thag is trying to be the best general camera (dual cards, PDAF, large battery, grip, etc) it will fail. Their best bet to to release something that is unique. They could stay the Pen F course and focus on design or go another way, but it can't just be an E-M5/E-M1 rangefinder and nothing else.

My thought would be to release a new non PDAF sensor maybe around 30mp. It wouldn't have the best AF or read time, but it would be a great way to show that new tech is being developed.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I'm just hoping when the mark II comes out, they don't use plasticy material like EM5 III. New sensor and trupic would be nice. Oh and i hope it still using the legendary BLN-01 battery....because i have four now for my beloved Pen F hahahaha :biggrin:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Can understand. I like having a non-SLR looking camera, and it is the best looking by far.
Had one, as well as a P5. Tried to sell the P5, with no takers, and needed to get some cash, so decided I had to sell the PEN-F. Then a local shop had brand new ones at half price so got another (black) one, and this time managed to sell the P5. This one will be a keeper.
The thing with the PEN-F is that it is superb engineering, with not a single screw visible. Looks great, must be a nightmare to service.
I asked Olympus Finland what is the repair price for all faults in PEN-F and it was something like 185 €. They also clean it.

But yeah, the feeling to handle and shoot with PEN-F is something special. I didn't buy it because of the design or build quality, but it surprised me how it makes you feel. Pure joy.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom