What do we want in a possible Pen F successor?

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
An interesting prospect..... what if the new Pen-F had the 17mm f/1.8 fixed to it, and the entire thing was weather sealed...

Would you buy it then?

Nope, because the current Pen-F and a 20mm f1.7 (sold my 17) plus an umbrella or cover is in my hands already. Otherwise they make a Fuji X100 for that.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
weather sealing
Focus stacking
Latest sensor as per EM1.3 [or better] with the PDAF.
Keep the mechanical external shutter release, really like it.
Keep the same battery, not the EM10 / EM5.3 one
better EVF would be nice
I also like the control layout but possibly make the front dial programable.

would like some menu improovemets as well.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since Olympus is considering a Pen F successor:
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-15...duction-halted-but-successor-might-be-coming/
I thought we could start a new thread to make our suggestions easy to find. It was a beautiful camera and there were many easy upgrades like better AF that would have made it so much better. I always saw the F as a combination street and travel camera. Despite the "knob" controversy, the ability to dial-in jpeg profiles was amazing. It would have been great to see in-camera raw processing.

So, what do we think?
Off topic for the PenF but I hope that is not a picture of the 150-400 on the rumor site
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I was never a Pen F owner, but I certainly admired from afar (and in hand, a little) the looks and the exceptional quality and attention to detail. That said...

The Pen EP5 was a pretty great camera, and to me there is still a case to be made for a slightly more streamlined, cleaner and a bit cheaper Pen camera. So, I'll go all out with what I'd like in a Pen F 2:

- joystick replacing 4 way controller, fewer buttons or at least buttons placed further apart giving more back grip/thumb room

- just give in already and put a shutter speed dial on the thing, and an aperture dial. People don't mind them on the LX100 series. Maybe make the aperture a second dial on top like it was on the Konica Hexar AF and Ricoh GR1 etc. (EDIT: even better, make it recessed in the left corner like the mode dial on the EP1, remember how cool that was?) Then make the third dial recessed above the thumb rest fully customizable and easily changed with a switch for EV Comp, ISO etc.

- steamlined creative abilities and a bit of a removal of the Olympus kitchen sink menus. Make the EVF/LCD just display either color or B&W when shooting RAW only. Enhanced in camera RAW processing, perhaps using a new version of the creative dial. Olympus is mirroring camera features with their software now, why not bring advanced RAW processing into the camera?

Okay, those are radical and perhaps impractical wishes, and they're certainly not going to bring out TWO new Pen models in the near future. But, if they were, an EP6 would be pretty cool. Tilt screen, same profile as the EP5 but a tad smaller/thinner, still an optional EVF, but maybe carry over the creative dial as a fully programmable front dial. Just shake things up!

And I'm not altogether losing sight of my dream of a fixed lens Olympus Trip type digital camera with a 38mm-40mm lens...

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Nope, because the current Pen-F and a 20mm f1.7 (sold my 17) plus an umbrella or cover is in my hands already. Otherwise they make a Fuji X100 for that.
This is a really interesting point. Olympus had real problems with the price of the Pen F, but Fuji has had success with the X100 series. I think one problem was Olympus' lack of a really nice pancake prime for the F. I also think people just expect mu43 cameras to have lower prices that larger sensor cameras with similar capabilities, and that is not going to happen.

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
New Pen F camera would be a good chance for Olympus to try out a new sensor, similar to how Panasonic did with the GX8.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
Weather sealing
USB-C charging
Electronic external shutter release port like the Em1.2
Ports for external mic and headphone
Tilt screen

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
weather sealing
Focus stacking
Latest sensor as per EM1.3 [or better] with the PDAF.
Keep the mechanical external shutter release, really like it.
Keep the same battery, not the EM10 / EM5.3 one
better EVF would be nice
I also like the control layout but possibly make the front dial programable.

would like some menu improovemets as well.
The problem with all Olympus batteries, apart from the one used on the E-M1ii, E-M1x, and the E-M1iii is that none of them have a chip that tells the camera their state of charge. As such, all you get is some approximation, usually accompanied by abrupt changes such as dying on you from an apparently decent charge level. If they had any sense they'd ditch the batteries in the E-M10, E-M5iii, Pen-F and everything before the EM1.2 for something that has some decent charge level logic built in.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Make it a fifties-style rangefinder with digital back.

no AF
no P,S,A, only M
no colour
no communication between lens and body whatsoever.
24 MP sensor
No screens or monitors or viewfinder
As small as the sensor allows
Always connected to internet (like a smartphone)
No frills: a manual of 4 pages max
Price, max €$ 4000,-

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran

no AF
no P,S,A, only M
no colour
24 MP sensor
Price, max €$ 4000,-
I think you're confusing Olympus with Leica here. ;)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing

no AF
no P,S,A, only M
no colour
24 MP sensor
Price, max €$ 4000,-
Every time we're tempted to ask for something this radical in M4/3-land, we have to remember that the lenses in the system are all focus by wire, with no feedback and abysmal manual focus rings. The optics are great, but take away AF and you suffer.

Now, if Olympus decided to toss an M-mount camera into the world, a lot of us would be all over that!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom