What do we want in a possible Pen F successor?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Since Olympus is considering a Pen F successor:
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-15...duction-halted-but-successor-might-be-coming/
I thought we could start a new thread to make our suggestions easy to find. It was a beautiful camera and there were many easy upgrades like better AF that would have made it so much better. I always saw the F as a combination street and travel camera. Despite the "knob" controversy, the ability to dial-in jpeg profiles was amazing. It would have been great to see in-camera raw processing.

So, what do we think?

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm not sure even an updated Pen F would replace my E-M1.2 but.....
  • Basic weather sealed would be nice.
  • Latest sensor / processor with phase AF.
  • Could be a bit simplified, there are a lot of things that really aren't needed*
  • Customizeable knob. I like the knob because it allows for color and mono profile control independent of shooting mode. It also changes the functions controlled by the lever so that's a plus. Bracketing, keystone, ......
  • I'd prefer a tilt screen over the articulated

* For example does anyone really need the option to define and save 4 size/quality JPegs combinations from 4 different qualities (SF, F, N, & B) and 3 different sizes (L, M, & S)? AND the option to define the "small" from 1 of 2 options and "medium" from 1 of 4 options?

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Translated from German: "Olympus asked to customers what they think should be improved on a future PEN-F model"

How have Olympus asked customers? Have emails been sent out, or is there a survey on one of their websites?

I'm interested because I'm a potential Pen-F.2 or Pen-FN customer.

Last edited:

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Keep: Silver color option, C1-4 on mode dial, front dial knob, included flash accessory, 20mp is enough.
Change/Add: ECG grip with actual grip, not as slippery. PDAF, modern EVF

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I would go for one if they made it a bit smaller than the current one, preferably about the size of the EPL-9 but that probably not possible.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
For me, weather sealing, the best EVF they can put in there and PDAF with the latest and best algorithms. Anything else would be nice but not necessary - at least for me. And keep the size and build quality the same.

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
I´m registered at the Olympus page and got an email with a customervoice-questionaire.
i answered that i want a successor of the PEN-F, and got a email from customer service that they will forward it to the RD

For me leave the PEN like it is, but:
  • reduze size a little bit (+1 for StefanKruse)
  • Latest sensor / processor (+1 davidzvi)
  • much better AF (but anyway for me it works pretty good, but my wife gets killed by it)
  • weather sealing would be nice
the rest is just great!

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
E-M1 MarkIII performance/futures in a weather seal Pen-F body with joystick and bigger, higher res EVF would be a instant buy for me.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Sorry to be a contrarian but I have to say, as a recent owner (of a lightly used Pen F, acquired from a fellow mu-43 member) I honestly don't really have anything I truly 'want' that the Pen F isn't already doing: in addition to being, literally (not just figuratively) one of the 'funnest' (aka most fun) cameras to shoot with that I've used in some time - it also is capable of producing rich, complex images (which I give kudos to the Olympus engineers for, and whoever made its sensor).

Sure, I guess a weather-sealed body might be nice but, hell, I've shot with mine in the Oregon rain and it has survived quite nicely so far, knock on wood (or magnesium).

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I'm in the "leave it mostly as it is camp" too. If I had to create a list it would be:

- Improve CAF. It'll never be an action camera, but the current CAF is really bad.

- Tilt screen, not flip out.

- Much better connectivity.

- Much easier way to import jpeg recipes. I only ever shoot raw, but I think from a rmarketing perspective, the fancy image styles are a nice feature - but if we could download new ones easily, it would increase the appeal a lot.

I personally doubt Oly will bring another Pen-F to market though, so I wouldn't get your hopes up!

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
As per others, I'd say keep the shell and improve the guts - faster processors, buffers, AF, video etc.

At some point I'd also like Oly to revisit their original concept models - maybe release a Pen DEE (like the old EES but 'Digital' or their 'EED' but reversed) at a lower price point (like the old E-PMx series).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

soundfanz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I’m very happy with my Pen F, and think weather sealing is a bit overrated as far as cameras are concerned. Mine’s been wet many times with no problems.
My capabilities as a photographer will likely never match the full capability of most current cameras going around, so I find it challenging enough exploiting what can be achieved.

My FIRST reaction to the question was.... weather sealing. That is it. If it had that, I'd be happier using it anytime. End of story.

But, there is always sequels, so while adding the weather sealing, update the focusing speed, especially in C-AF.
Does the EVF and LCD need more pixels or better color/contrast? If the E-M1mkIII or E-M5mkIII is better, simplify models and make the Pen-F2 have the same one.
Tilt, or flip out LCD is always going to upset a certain amount of people, but I like the tilt style of the older models, but then the LCD cant flip in and protect itself.
Video, eh, leave it, or just put the E-M5mkIII in it, but...
They won't do it, but it doesn't need color, so half that front dial can be reworked. Make it just B&W shooting and call it a day. Add some better true B&W modes (that means none of the massive departures like some goofy LR presets do).
But then again, it can't be a E-M5mkIII in a Pen-F sized body because then what is the purpose of the E-M5mkIII.

The Pen-F problem is its looks, style, and that it is a product that doesn't fit. It is in the middle of the E-M10 and E-M5 line and they don't need 4 lines. They need it to be unique and different outside its looks. So make it B&W only, weather sealed, and enhance the B&W looks it can do natively to a point that the E-lines can't do B&W...

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
Improve the AF, & make it weather resistant, although my only weather resistant lens is the 12-40/2.8. I would also like to see the thumb rest be basically the same as it already is but without the rubber pad that many users, including myself, have had come loose. I find the VF & physical size of the camera to be just fine. I would be totally put off with any new model that incorporates any plastic/polycarbonate body structure since one of the key factors in my love of the Pen F is it's solid body structure. At its current 15.3 oz weight, it's already light enough. If you need something lighter in weight, there are plenty of other options already available.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have had a Pen-f since the first month they were available. Love the camera. have had it in a wide verity of weather conditions with no problems, yet. That said, the things I would like in a updated Pen-f are
  • Weather sealing
  • Focus stacking
  • A more substantial battery door
  • Improved thumb grip

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom