1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

what do we need/want?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    There is a difference between what we need, and want. Years ago, I shot for a weekly newspaper and covered the local high schools sports. I shot along next to the major local papers photographers. They often gave me pointers to improve my work. They had the latest equipment with large pro flash units. I had good camera and lens, but only a Sun pack flash. Their flash kept up with their motor drive, while I could only take one shot of the action. I never could afford what their paper furnished these shooters. So that was a want and not a need, as I still filled up two inside pages most weeks shooting sports with what I had.

Because people saw my work in the paper, I started shooting weddings. I had two of everything. All Nikon equipment, including two bodies, two flash units, external battery packs, and 5 Nikon lens. This wasn't because of want, but was because I needed the back up that this gave me. Did I ever need that back up camera? Yes, on more than one occasion I needed to reach for the second camera.

Today the publishers of magazines will sometimes use the image from you cell phone. So what do we need as opposed to what we want. I use my G3 and the 20mm lens most of the time I am out shooting. My next most used lens is the 14mm. This is the first time I can remember that I am not lusting after the next great camera or lens. I have a good scanner and a great printer. So I have what I need, for now. Still, I look at what the latest camera offering is, and just today looked at the full frame mirrorless reviews. But is it a need or want? Publishers are still using what I took with my D200. Do I really need more than I have. It really depends on what you shoot and how much you are able to spend. If I had the funds, I would own most of what is in a camera store. But, I don't so I am happy using my G3.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    If you can afford it, and want to have it, what does it matter if you need it or not? Since when is "Need" the criteria that must be met for purchase? I would think "Want" and "Afford" are more important.

All most of us really NEED is Air, Food, Water, Shelter, and basic healthcare.

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well heck, I'd say anything > 1 camera and 1 lens is technically a "want" for anyone not relying on their equipment for income :tongue:

But, it's a lot of fun upgrading cameras, adding lenses and going out and using it all to capture images too. I got by for a long time with a GF2, kit zoom and 20mm prime. Then again, if I'd stopped there I'd never have gotten some of my very favorite images that were done with wide angles and telephoto lenses. As you said, it's all about your budget... I'm blessed enough to be allowed to use a variety of equipment to pursue my hobby. But if I wasn't, I'm sure I would make do with what I could afford.

I think the important takeaway here is no one should feel like they can't take wonderful images because they don't have the latest and greatest gear. The legacy of thousands or millions of photos out there - done with older gear - that are better than any I've ever taken just goes to show that :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    There is basically no stopping GAS unless you stop reading gear forums OR use your significant other as the gate keeper.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I want AND need them all!

Alas, I can't have them all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wikoproductions

wikoproductions Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2012
    For lenses, all I really "need" is the 7-14mm for tight volleyball gyms, but the "want" side of me is going to eventually budget for the 25mm summilux, the 12-35mm, the 35-100mm and the 100-300mm. :(

8. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    +1 bazillion!

Great thoughts here Chuck and a place I have recently found myself at too. As Jloden states, the great megapixel race of the latest gear doesn't guarantee exceptional results. I came to that conclusion too as I found myself "underexcited" by the upcoming GH3. Don't get my wrong, I think it will be a terrific camera. It's just do I "need" all the tech wowee zowee that its going to offer?

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across something on the Fujifilm S Pro series cameras from a few years ago. As I investigated I found most of the "then current" reviews on them claim they produce stellar results. Most all claimed that it was probably the premiere portrait camera of everything that was being produced. As I did more investigation I found even more rave claims from owners including links to some wonderful images.

So for a week or more now instead of pre-ordering a GH3 I have been chasing an 8 year old discontinued camera. I am doing this because all I have found from my investigation is it appears to fill the bill for the purpose I have in mind and "it is all I really NEED". :smile:

9. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    A sister of a camera forum member made a statement: "Your camera takes really good pictures." He said to her who is a baker: "Your oven bakes really good cakes." ;-)

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good article and mostly accurate I suspect.

The part about avoiding gear forums is spot on... unfortunately mu-43.com is one of my favorite places to hang out, and I seem incapable of avoiding the gear threads. Before I joined up here I only had 3 lenses and one camera :eek:

11. thomastaesu

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    So, how about now?

12. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    5 of the best photographer for Our State magazine, N.C.

I used watch for one of the photographers whose work I liked. We both sold photos to Our State magazine. A buddy and I used to see if we could make it into the magazine each month, and every so often we sold them a few pictures. But this one guy was selling them over $1,000 worth every month, month after month. Then one month they published their list of the five best photographers for the magazine. Well, some used Nikon, some Canon, one used an 8x10 camera. But this one who was in the magazine almost every month, used a fixed lens point and shoot. So, thousands of dollars every year, from the simplest of cameras. That P&S was all that he needed.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 1
  13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There's a mostly complete list in my gear list under my profile if you really want to know, but short version is "too many!" :tongue:

14. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I find that GAS builds up the more time I read gear forums and the less I actually use my camera. This happens every time it gets cold up here.

Sometimes I cave and buy something (like this X-E1 in my hands)

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I WANT everything!

I probably only NEED a superzoom P&S. Or maybe just my new cell phone (a Galaxy sIII, sitting on my doorstep at home as I write this).

16. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Sometimes I think I need what I want, because if I don't have what I want I can get grumpy. Ohhh what a petulant soul I can be... :biggrin:

17. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    12-60 f/2.8-3.5 from Oly for native m43 mount. That's what I want! Weather sealed and undercutting the 12-35/2.8 Panny by, oh, $250.

I can dream, right?

18. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Spin the logic, GAS is what certain peoples need to have fun. Problem is if they're under the illusion that they’re having it for another more “braggable” reason they can be proud of.
    Also, how much trouble is needed to be able to fulfil the need with just what’s available.

“Thanks. Wouldn’t be possible if I were to use a microwave oven.” :)

Then goes on explaining all the features of the oven for hours before continuing to the latest oven catalog.
    …it’s impossible that there’s no kitchen gearhead in this world. Even flashlight and pocket knives have their fans. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. thomastaesu

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    My GAS was quenched at the moment. Today, I received OM-D and 14-150mm, and Friday, PL25mm will come.

My gear pull will have $100/month. Have to wait 5 months before I can get O60macro. ;-)

20. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Haha I've delved into candlepowerforums.com in the past. There are connoisseurs of +$1000 flashlights there.