What do u think of this Olympus OMD ad?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys .. As we all know Olympus and Panasonic suck when it comes to marketing their cameras specially MFT. This is an ad which Olympus Australia thinks is brilliant but in my opinion it's just crap and pathetic and undermines such a brilliant camera . Have your say please .

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=St1LFoA4Fz0]YouTube - Olympus OM-D. The Beginning of the New. Photography Redefined.[/ame]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i think if Kai from digitalrev was the model for the CV i would buy one.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It was cool at the beginning, but at the end he looked like a geek!

Would rather see him in something cooler, and rather than hanging the camera around his neck (like the old days), he should sling it over his shoulder like you carry a coat, and he should be walking fog and you see his back with the camera facing you.

Or, have the camera hanging off the side of his belt.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Bhupinder your just upset because they didn't show it with the 45 and didn't state it was the king, and the benchmark for m43. If you want to see a crap ad check the north American Olympus campaign.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You mean this one:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHc4zHDYrQ]OLYMPUS - Office Party - YouTube[/ame]

With the guy on the right with the lipstick, and the guy on the left in the dress in the donkey, all I can think of is perverted stuff, like illegal dog & pony shows. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're too innocent (which isn't a bad thing). Sorry to lead you down the gutter, but that's what I think of every time I see that ad, but let's not discuss that part of the ad further.

But did you notice at the end where they talk about the "Olympus PEN Series" and they show the E-M5 with the PENs.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Ah the perverted stuff... they know their market, they're doing all right :p
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Hahaah really ? Don't tell me it sucks more than this ? I tweeted and Olymous Australia responded that they can't please everyone :rofl::rofl:.I didn't know that a MNC like Olympus will make ads to please people rather than highlighting the main points of the camera and marketing it well.
  8. Bhupinder2002

This is still much better as least there is something in it.
  9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    As ads go, both of those are examples of one of the current advertising styles of selling the product with humour, which I suspect is supposed to create an association with fun, and also with style. I actually think both ads deliver what they were intended to do.

They're not going to sell cameras on TV by stressing the technical points or image quality. The people interested in those things are aware of new cameras before they're released and know all that they need to know about those aspects by a week after the camera's release at the latest, and often before the official release date through reviews and early announcements.

These ads are designed to sell those cameras into a broader market and I suspect they do quite well. They're not concerned about what anyone here thinks because we're not the market they're trying to tap.
  10. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I don't think the ad is that bad. They are just trying to reach another demographic which is the younger hipster crowd. I guess the people who bought the camera before the ads new the merits already, so they don't need convincing. The camera has a retro design to it which is going to attract this type of market segment. They are trying to draw new customers from Nikon and Canon in another perspective, might as well carry a smaller camera that looks cool.
  11. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I rather suspect Bhupinder is upset because Olympus didn't ask him to be the model in the ad. :rofl:

Seriously that model should be in front of the camera rather than behind the camera. You don't have to be hip to be a photographer. Just ask Bhupinder.

Oops, sorry I did it again. :redface:
  12. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    This type of ad is designed to peak interest. They are hoping consumers see it and say," hum... What's this new camera?" and then go to the net and learn about features. It's the way all advertising is going these days. With the net consumers can find out every thing they need to know on a product. Ads only need to "push" consumers to look for more info. I actually thought the ad was brilliant!
  13. Bhupinder2002

May be I am more hip than the model in the camera ,you never know!!::wink:
    But seriously Its a plain and uninspiring ad actually .
  14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Classic advert. If I buy the camera, I will have a better, more muscular body, a cool pad and a hip new wardrobe. Must buy new camera.

You can't tell people in 30 seconds WHY it's different the rest or better or more compact. You CAN show them that it is NEW and COOL and they will become BETTER LOOKING and more successful!
  15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I'm going to show my age here, but also a little old-school photography education, so it'll be a good balance.

There was a movie in the 60s called "Blow Up". Sort of an "Alfie" meets The Beatles kind of thing. I swear that's what popped into my head when I saw the first commercial. Certainly made more modern, but with the retro vibe of the camera and then that commercial, I wonder if there isn't an intentional homage in there somewhere...
  16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the ad is spot on considering the market they are aiming for....

* You rarely see commercials for the top end cameras from Canon and Nikon. Professionals rarely pay attention to those commercials anyways. Despite what we want to think, the OMD is still best suited for the consumer market... albeit for the more demanding photographer.

* The lower end cameras from Canon and Nikon are marketed in much the same manner. Often using celebrities such as Nikon's Ashton Kutcher. To me, those type of commercials are ... CHEEZY. But the american market is so driven by image that it is appropriate.

* People with a true interest in photography are outnumbered 100s to 1. If we want these companies the succeed, we shouldn't expect any differently.

* I think it is a well done quality wise...

* Sex sells.

* RANT and RAVE.... Bhupinder rarely seems to be somewhere in the middle.
  17. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Allthe Canon ads I've seen lately have to do with adding capability (lenses) to your camera, done without celebraty endorsement. In the commercials they promote that if you want to take portraits you should have a "portrait lens"...then they go to a soccer fied of kids playing showing how you can get closer to the action with a telephoto lens, and it ends how you can get wider cityscape night shots with a wide angle lens. This ad is good because it educates the consumer of what can be possible with their camera if they throw some more money Canon's way.
  18. Bhupinder2002

19. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Lifestyle ad.

The only people nowadays who can afford a sexy retro styled $1000 non-pro cameras with $800 lenses are single male high income no wife no kids!

They did a good job with the wardrobe. Guys who wear Armani suits every day aren't buying big cameras (relatively big), guys who are high income hipsters (likely to wear a bow tie) are.
  20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gotta dig deeper and cast a wider net (remember the commercial being discussed here is from Australia). The latest US ones start out like dreams and fantasy... those suck. The message is completely lost and disjointed.