What digital camera was your first love?

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
When The E-PL2 came out, I still had my Nikon FM2 35mm film camera. I knew that I have to have that Olympus and I did love it. Fast forward, then came EM5 and last year EM1.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Canon G5, after I shot with an S50 or IS50 (can't remember what it was called now :)) of a friend. I think that was 2004. By the end of 2005 I then got a 350D, and in 2011 I got my first MFt camera, a Panny GF2. I gave that away about half a year ago, but by then I had gone through an EM-10, an EM-5 II, and owned a Pen F and EM-1 II :).

Funny is that I sold the G5 a year or so after I got the 350D, but within a fairly short time I got a G10 to replace it, because I missed it. The Pen F replaced the G10, but it actually is so advanced, that I also got a GM5 literally a day ago - quite an amazing little camera for snapshots etc., and I just love the fact that it is an ILC.

My analog cameras (3 Pentaxes and well over 20 lenses) I sent to a friend at the same time as the GF2; I never used it after I went into digital, and I don't really miss those anyway. For the just in case I still own an EOS5 :).

Kind regards, Wim

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
Gopro Hero5 black, not sure what I will use it for yet but should come in handy while on holiday, and when I am out on the bike :)

relic

Hobbyist
My first love in digital cameras was the Olympus point-&-shoot C-7000/C-70. I still find it a beautiful machine and produces very nice pictures. Among other things it has a zooming optical viewfinder, manual focusing with a distance scale on the LCD, time-lapse capability, and a remote IR shutter release. (Off topic and much older-- my first love in electronic calculators was the gorgeous and very capable HP-25).

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I think the first one that really got me around to just shooting was a Canon Digital Elph S110 (course when I first bought it from Target and walked out the door, opened the box and saw no camera, and immediately took it back in they gave me the hardest time claiming I could have taken it out myself). Not a whole lot of function, but much nicer and smaller than the Kodak DC3200 I had before that (1.3Mp)

416M17SSX4L._SX355_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But I would say the first one that really got me into actually 'using' the camera even remotely manual-like would be the Powershot G3 (though I really wanted the 10D DSLR, this was before the 300D digital Rebel came out).

41B56GYQMNL._SX355_.jpg

Kind of just took off lens wise when I got the 6.3MPixel Digital Rebel, including manual focus adapted lens etc.

I didn't have any personal milestones until I went Micro-4/3rd with the Olympus E-P3 (ditching the Pentax K10D I had prior) pretty much changed the way I shoot or thought about shooting.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
The Fuji F10 for me. It wasn't my first digital camera, but it was the first one that convinced me that it should be my primary camera.

Yes, it was a compact camera. But it took great pictures (for the time), as high as 800 ISO! I knew then that I wouldn't be going back to film. Naturally, I've had cameras I've liked more since, but I still have fond memories of the F10. (My sister-in-law uses my old camera to this day.)

RogerM

Mu-43 Veteran
I had a D70 Nikon as my first 'real' Digital cam, I really liked it and also the Olympus C8080 WZ and Nikon D200 I had later.
I *LOVE* :inlove: the D300 Nikon; It's a total brick but really gets the job done.
I must say I also feel the same way towards My GF1 & GH1. :2thumbs:.

_1130116.jpg

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I was in love with the first digital camera I used, a Sony Mavica-something that wrote JPEGs to 3.5" floppy disks. The camera was owned by my high school and I got to us it in a class where we built the school's website. I was immediately fascinated by digital photography.

I'm sure it was terrible.

AdamK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Adam
I was enamoured for awhile with a Fuji FinePix S602z - it was my first digital and I stil have it. But the digital that really got me excited and back into photography was my E-PL1 shooting old Hexanon glass. I still enjoy using it today, even as the OM-Ds have become my workhorses.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
I came back to photography after a break with the Nikon D70.

Did some great pictures of lots of interesting places with this camera and the 17-80 kit lens before it was replaced with a D300 and some 2.8 zoom glass.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
my digital age started in 2004 with a toy camera, then I got a couple of P&S, and then m4/3 in 2012. but it wasn't until the G6 have I truly made my best work with that camera, so not the GF3, G5, EPL5, but the G6.

having said that, the G6 has the worst quality among all the cameras I've owned.

Lunatique

Mu-43 Regular
Canon 1D Mark II. It was my second digital camera, and it was night and day compared to my first (Olympus C3030Z), since I went from small compact to professional body and lenses, as well as from jpg to RAW.

wlewisiii

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
William B. Lewis
Haven't loved one yet, at least not anything like what I felt for my Speed Graphic, Leica IIIf or Canon T90.

u4/3 are nice and easily the best on the market for me, but I can't say love like the best of the real cameras.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Haven't loved one yet, at least not anything like what I felt for my Speed Graphic, Leica IIIf or Canon T90.

u4/3 are nice and easily the best on the market for me, but I can't say love like the best of the real cameras.
Loved my T90; it was the best handling camera I ever used. Still miss the breech lock bayonet mount, too.
The E-M1 is sort of close to the comfort of the T90 but the E-M1 Mk.2 will hopefully equal it in that 'falling to hand' category. When pricing improves I'll find out. :026:

Real Name
Walter
My first digital was an Olympus Stylus D-550 Zoom. It was a remarkable feeling to be free of the 36 exposure roll. Then I went to a Canon PowerShot and then a Canon Rebel XT as my first DSLR.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend

Been thinking the same myself but did not want to be the first to admit it. I have some film cameras 30+ years old that still work, I really doubt any modern stuff will work that long even if you can get a battery.

To me digital cameras are only tools. But I must admit I like the look and feel of the Olympus cameras and would like a Pen F. But I doubt I will love a digital camera like my old film ones.

Mattyh

Mu-43 Veteran
It may not be my first love, but this morning I've been messing about with my Pentax Q, the original, and it's the one and only camera that makes me smile every time I pick it up.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
I eschewed digital, early on - mostly since I'd just spent a pile on a Canon film SLR. My wife then got a Canon Ixus P&S, which gradually (over about 3 years) led me to no longer using the SLR. But at that time I couldn't really afford/justify a DSLR. Then a few years on, I got a long service award at work (in 2012) which funded a Panasonic G3 and so I guess that would be what got me started properly in digital. I still use it regularly, although I've never entirely gelled with its ergonomics.

Rob

Latest threads

Top Bottom