What digital camera was your first love?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D7k1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Writing this on phone. I have been thinking about the camera that sold me digital. It was the D200. There was just something perfect in the D200. It's feel in the hands and the colors meant that I liked using it and could just shoot. I feel very similar about the gx8 but it was the D200 that started my love of digital cameras , which digital camera made you love digital?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Olympus E500. Great colors OOC and great features. Great value at the time and images hold up today (lower ISO).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Canon S3 IS :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Nikon D50. My first foray into a digital SLR, having come from an N90s before in film. Ancient by todays standards, but back when I got it new, I ran the heck out of it with a Tamron 28-200 and a Nikon 50/1.8D. It had 5 AF points, which was HUGE compared to the N90s, which just had the one dead in the middle. Tracking was great, I used it for many sports events. ISO over 800 was pretty mushy, but having the the ability to switch up the ISO at will was a Godsend then.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Canon 30D. Usable at all ISO (maxed at 3200) and had great AF and performance. By far the best sensor in the industry at that time. It had excellent controls and ergonomics and a good viewfinder. It also worked with some really great and cheap zooms in EF mount. (Sigma 17-70, 30mm f1.4 and Tokina 50-135mm were my favorites.)

I could honestly go back to that camera again if I had to and be just fine.

6. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    EM5 was my first digital camera romance ;) I'm definitely old enough to of owned a DSLR before the EM5 came out and have a Minolta SLR but I never liked the big clumsy DSLR body so i never bought one.

7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    The Panasonic DMC-FZ30. It was a huge step up for me from point-and-shoot, and opened my eyes to what I could really get out of a digital camera.

6110714438_f9414b881b_b.
    Lady Liberty
    by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've loved so many, I'm a camera slut.

What sold me on digital? Nikon D70. But sold is probably the best word for it. I really didn't have any SLR gear and was looking for to take the next step. I went looking for something like the Nikon FM10 / Canon Elan and the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70 had just come out. The Rebel felt like a plastic toy, the D70 had a nice solid feel. It was about $650 more than the film body, or about 65 rolls. It was a simple choice.

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I used one of those up until I bought my E-M10.

10. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    My first was a Fuji. It was one of the smaller point and shoot varieties, but it had an electronic viewfinder, which satisfied my extreme dislike of shooting off an LCD. :D This would have been around 2002-2004 time frame. It was my entry into the digital world.

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I was given a 35mm SLR in the mid 80's & enjoyed using it. Sometime in the nineties I switched to digital which gave a huge convenience boost but I gradually realized the affordable models I got just didn't give the same thrill as an SLR. (It took at least 4 models with improving capabilities to realize this!)
    While working in Kuala Lumpur I tried a Pentax K100d & it felt as if it could rekindle my love of photography, but the price was more than I could justify & no cheaper than I'd seen them in the UK.
    Back home I eventually brought a used copy & it did indeed live up to expectations.

12. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    My first digital SLR the Canon D30.

13. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I have actually two first love digital cameras, The Olympus e-p1 and the Pentax K-5 which I've owned many and still use a K-5.

14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My first digital ICL camera was the E-M10. It finally fulfilled the promise of digital imaging I'd been reading about. I'd had a couple of digital P&S cameras over the preceding decade or so and found them difficult to use effectively and ultimately frustrating. I've since added an E-M1 Mk.1 to my gear and don't have any reason to change except the ever-present gear lust.

15. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I've had a couple I liked, but the Olympus E-PM1 was the first digital camera I really clicked with. Truely compact, decivingly simplistic, but actually quite capable. Once I had wrapped my head around how to use it (which didn't take long), it was loads of fun to shoot with ... Sadly, a couple of weeks ago, I literally killed it (let it drop onto a concrete floor - now it doesn't write files anymore). Sure, I own more sophisticated cameras that also take better images - but none gives me so much simple pleasures as the E-PM1.

Next in line (to be loved, not to be dropped, of course)? Can't decide, really. Probably the GR - great little beast.

M.

16. Same as I, except I added another E-M10 and then the E-M1.2. My first digital P7S was an Olympus D550Z. I got some great photos with it, especially close-ups. It and it's P&S predecessors were still lacking though.

17. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    For me it was a Nikon D70.
    Although I had a hard time with the 1.5 crop factor (and a limited budget for fast glass which resulted in the 50mm 1.8 which makes for a focal length which I've always struggled with).

I sold all later Nikon gear but kept the D70 and 50 1.8 for nostalgic reasons.

18. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    In 2001 my coolpix 995, I loved it. My first digital camera with manual control. frontview. inhand01. inhand02. topcontrols.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Without a doubt, the Nikon D700. I had many others, including a Fuji S3 Pro, but the Nikon was full frame and could see in the dark.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Olympus C5050 was the one that convinced me that digital was on its way up. I had a few fuji digicams before that but they couldn't compare to the Oly.
    I have since been through a few DSLRs started with a Canon 300D and moved on to Pentax 10D and then Nikon D40 and eventually D300 which I only sold a few weeks ago along with my Nikon lenses.
    The rest is M4/3 history.