what did i do wrong?? kinda disapointed em1.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by genesimmons, Mar 17, 2017.

1. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2017
    i took my em1.2 and 12-100f4 to a local gym for some shots of inuit games, i know the m43 suffers from iso issues so i didn't want it to high, tried to keep below 3200, thats my set limit in menu, i used af tracking as the subject ran to the point then jumped to kick, i used continuous low 18fps. almost all were out of focus, my tracking was spot on as he moved but it seemed to imidietly focus on the seal he was kicking and not the subject i was tracking, should i have adjusted the looses and tight features of af? i hope to get back and get some more shots as i wasn't very happy with these ones. also was 125 shutter to slow for this type of shot, maybe ill try 250 next time, P3150635. P3150549.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Low light with a lot of movement in subjects. Also DOF is not large enough for all to be sharp. You might have done better with an f2.8. Actually the movement makes the pictures more dramatic.

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Nice images.

You are seeing motion blur which is due to the low shutter speed. I typically go much higher (minimum 1/640, usually 1/1000 or 1/1250) to freeze motion. I actually like the motion blur in your shots as it adds a nice sense of movement.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    using a 2.8,would have caused less to be in focus though right? larger aperture = less dof. i really wanted the child to be in focus and he was tracked perfectly but then it seemed to focus on the stationary seal not the child, kinda front focusing i think,

5. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    yes i believe u are correct, especially with the adult here, he was moving fast, i should have bumped her up to 1/500. i wanted the iso low though so i made the mistake of sacrificing sharp for clean haha, ill try again with a higher shutter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    I don't own the mark II, but I've read in several blogs that the tracking is not (yet) reliable, even if it pretends to be so in the view finder. As I said I can't comment this first hand, but the next time I'd try to track manually. And 1/125 is certainly too slow for this kind of action.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the first one did catch the boy in focus....it's just that it focused on his hand. The photos are good. People on photo forms obsess WAY too much about sharpness. I can feel the ACTION which is the intent of the photos (IMHO). If you want to come closer to freezing the action, 1/500 may work. Of course, you may run out of light at ISO3200 at that point. That's the problem with shooting indoor sports...low light and fast action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    i am choosing my next lens for this cam, i enjoy shooting stuff like this, would a 40-150 2.8 have helped me in this situation? would one stop of light have maybe helped the tracking, also would face tracking have made a slight difference in the child shot. i need to experiment with these features

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Doubtful. As others have said, your issue here was shutter speed. 1/125th isn't even fast enough to freeze my 4-year old's hands when she is playing with Play-Doh.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    From my experience, a f/1.8 prime is best suited for these poorly lit indoor events. I would look at either the 45/1.8 or the 75/1.8 (ideally both) for the 2 stops you will gain. Focus, of course, become trickier since DoF is narrower, but one can do pretty well with it. Also, ISO6400 should be completely useable on the E-M1mkII.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    funny u mention that, i am looking at the 75mm f1.8, one on sale now on amazon, thanks for the tips and info so far,

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Yeah, this might be a case for a prime (45mm or 25mm) or possibly a flash (which would stop the action, but might not be appreciated in this environment.)

13. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Nothing to do with EM-1 II, all to do with too slow shutter speed. Do notice that the item they are trying to kick, and the wire it is hanging from / pole & wire it is hanging from, are sharp in these images. Not a lot of DoF, but sharp nonetheless.

In short, you need a much faster shutter speed, say 1/500th if not 1/1000th for this type of action.
    I'd suggest you use max iso in such circumstances, and switch to B&W to overcome the worst noise issues, if there are any.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You need at least 2 stops more exposure so you can get the shutter speed up to 1/500-1/600. So you can either shoot ISO 6400 with your f4 lens, or switch to an f2.8 lens and shoot ISO 3200, or switch to an f1.8 prime and shoot ISO 1600.

I'd at least try the ISO 6400 @ f4 option first, as that doesn't require additional cash. Depending on how large you like to print, ISO 6400 isn't as bad as it sounds.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'll just echo what other have said, as there are many issue with these images. Too slow of shutter speeds, trying to shoot indoors with an f/4 lens, etc.

Buy some of the <f/2 primes, shoot at a higher shutter speed, and then judge your satisfaction with the camera.

16. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Or if you want fast zooms, look at some of the 4/3 lenses like the 35-100mm f2.0 or if you want a fast telephoto prime the 150mm f2.0.

I don't see a need for tracking. I would have just used SAF and focused on the seal......if needed you could just switch to manual focus and set focus just in front of or behind the seal if the subject isn't profile like the adult photograph (this is easy with focus peaking, just follow the little peaking dots on the floor to know where your focus is). But, if you look at the photograph of the boy......you had enough DoF because his back hand and the seal are in focus.....his hand is just a little blurry from motion blur. Also, shooting in SAF would allow you to shoot at 60fps......which would almost guarantee getting the perfect foot on seal shot.

Personally, I would have shot this with SAF for the 60fps. I only have the mk1 and while 10fps is great, most of the time it is still pure luck getting that perfect foot or bat or racket on ball or seal. The 60fps is one of the main reasons I want the mk2. Will make getting that perfect bird striking for a fish so much easier. I really want that perfect shot as the beak just starts breaking the surface of the water or when it's coming out with the fish just after breaking the surface when you have this really awesome coat of water still on beak and fish. Right now it is more pure luck at 10fps, at 60fps.......it will happen many more times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Forgot to talk about face tracking..............

I know on the EM1mk1 it takes so much processing power to use this that trying to use it with CAF is going to cause problems......it just doesn't have the processing power to do all of that. Now, I know they upped the processing power of the mk2 but I would still suspect that using face tracking and CAF is going to stress the system to the point of lower hit rate. Maybe some who have tried it with the mk2 will speak up about it.

To go along with that and what I posted above. I personally would use just CAF without tracking if I wanted to use CAF. But I started shooting sports in the film days and I am use to keeping the focus point on the subject (we didn't have tracking). I try the tracking on occasion and when it works it is nice, like when I shot a DockDogs competition it worked very well and I was super happy because you never knew if a dog would jump high or low. But, it doesn't work more often then it does so I always tell people to learn to use just CAF and work up to where you can move the focus point so you can set up better composition in camera. In your shot of the adult......if I was using CAF I would move the point to the left side of the viewfinder so I could get a good composition and not have to crop as much. This kind of action it is pretty easy to do as you have time to prepare for what they are going to do. Working up to changing on the fly, like when shooting soccer takes a bit more practice but is very easy to do once you work on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    In the first shot the target and the child's hand are both in focus. So focus and depth of field are fine. The face, and most of his body, are blurred from motion not mis-focus.

Only a faster shutter shutter speed will correct this. Going from 1/125 to 1/250 is probably not enough so simply going to the 40-150/2.8 won't fix the issue. You may need to go to faster lens AND a higher ISO at the expense of more noise.

The main problem is the horrible light. It's not just dim, it's also just plain bad light. And it's out of your control. Getting a pristine, motion stopping exposure may not be worth it because the light will still be bad.

I'd continue working with what you have and learn to capture emotionally charged exciting images under the prevailing conditions.

Or get a strobe or two ; )

Fred

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    You might like this. It is not as heavy as the 40-150 f2.8. I wonder if light gathering power of lens improves CAF. I don't understand the technology.

• Like Like x 1
  20. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    i never thought of using the flash, i was using 18fps low though, wouldn't a flash only fire on the first initial sequence, to get the shot i have i prob had 10 i didn't use just getting up the point he was close to his target, would a flash have helped me here, this wasn't a professional enviroment so i could get as close or as far as i wanted, yes the lighting was terrible, old fluorescent lights, some schools are using newer led lights, may have given a nicer glow