1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What did I buy ... and can I use it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MikeR_GF1, May 28, 2013.

1. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I picked up this beast of a lens assembly on Monday, at a flea market.

P1010067small.

It looks like the front end of an old broadcast TV camera. Canon brand, but BVP-350 only yields Sony results. I wonder if, stripped of all the electronics and motors surrounding the lens, I could adapt it?

Here is the mount end of the lens:
    P1010071small.

As is, the thing probably weighs as much as three E-PL1's!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    canon j18x8.5 reveals more hits on google :)

K

3. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    2/3" video zoom, B4 mount, with 2x extender. That should cover the m4/3 sensor with the 2x extender engaged.
    If adapted and adjusted properly, it will be parfocal.
    Nice find.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Interesting find, Mike. Looks like a B4 mount, which is a 2/3" video camera lens. You'll find adapters on eBay (e.g. from Ciecio7) mostly in the $300 range. Since this lens is made for a smaller sensor, it will vignette on :43: unless you use a 2x extender (some of these lenses have a built-in extender) or shoot in ETC mode.

Deciphering the numbers, the "18x" indicates the zoom ratio and the "8.5" is the focal length at the wide end, which makes this a roughly 8.5-153mm zoom lens.

I found a video on Vimeo (see below) demonstrating a similar lens on a Panasonic AF100 video camera (which uses the :43: mount) mounted via an almost $6,000 optical adapter which allows the image to cover the :43: sensor and maintain a similar field of view as it the lens would have on a B4 camera.

In short, it CAN be adapted, but you're probably going to have to invest some more funds (I'm guessing more than you paid for the lens?) in order to do it. Unless you're really serious about shooting video, or just want a challenge, I'd say you might be better off just flipping this lens.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/19839954"]Using 2/3″ Lenses on the Panasonic AF100[/ame]

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Found a "support group" on Facebook (their tagline reads "For those crazy people who want to put B4-mount ENG lenses on Micro4/3 cameras") in case you need help in adapting this lens.

6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you. That helps. I'm usually pretty good on Google searches, but I dismissed that J18x8.5 as mere description. Using it, on eBay I've found really beat up looking ones selling for a surprisingly hefty sum.

7. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for all that good info. I just priced B4 adapters, and WOW! The cheapest one I found comes from Poland, and costs $200. Most others sell for well North of $300.

That's kind of steep for "playing." I think I'll try to sell it on eBay.

8. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Looks like Rainbow Imaging isn't going to do it for me this time.

Much, much, much more. I think you are right ... it would be fun, but there are other things I'd rather do.

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I enjoy a challenge as much as the next guy, but I think in this case I'm presuming you can probably make a small profit by flipping this thing.