What car brand you drive? POLL

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
We are a long time Volkswagen family. But this Passat TDI is headed back to the dealer in the next couple of weeks. Not sure we will get another VW at this point.
View attachment 522005
You environmental killer!

Haha, it's pretty remarkable that VW would willingly lie to the authorities and their customers about the TDI engines. While the gas/petrol powered cars are fine, it makes you question whether you want to support a company that operates that way.

How will you make out on buyback, pretty well? Any clue what you'll get to replace it?

griffljg

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Larry Griffiths
Loved owning them for the most part. It's a diesel and is being bought back by VW as part of the whole emissions cheating scandal. As a long term owner, I feel incredibly poorly about how they did the whole thing.

Aah! That explains it. My last TDI was a 2007 VW Jetta, which was unaffected by the emissions scandal. But, judging by the lack of criticsm by other motor car manufacturers, I find myself wondering how many other manufacturers were also involved, but just weren't found out. ;) Sure, I am also disappointed in how VW handled the scandal, but that wouldn't stop me from buying another one.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
You environmental killer!

Haha, it's pretty remarkable that VW would willingly lie to the authorities and their customers about the TDI engines. While the gas/petrol powered cars are fine, it makes you question whether you want to support a company that operates that way.

How will you make out on buyback, pretty well? Any clue what you'll get to replace it?
Ha! Did you notice how we took it off-road in a National monument!!

I think we will come out a couple of thousand ahead on the whole thing. I have actually had the papers ready for a few months, but haven't figured out what to get to replace it. As a 5 person car (vs. minivan or SUV) family, we are somewhat limited in our choice (or have actively limited it). Probably an electric car for in town driving with my BMW 3-series wagon becoming more of a highway car. Though I am tempted to get a Miata with a stick shift.

Last edited:

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Aah! That explains it. My last TDI was a 2007 VW Jetta, which was unaffected by the emissions scandal. But, judging by the lack of criticsm by other motor car manufacturers, I find myself wondering how many other manufacturers were also involved, but just weren't found out. ;) Sure, I am also disappointed in how VW handled the scandal, but that wouldn't stop me from buying another one.
To my mind, VW occupied a unique spot in the US auto market. Fun to drive semi-luxury. My 2003 Passat wagon was built like a tank and could turn on a dime. The newer ones seem to have moved down market and are definitely poorer in build quality. The handling of the emissions scandal was to me an added insult as a customer.

Having said that, we are considering an e-Golf as one of the replacement options.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Ha! Did you notice how we took it off-road in a National monument!!

I think we will come out a couple of thousand ahead on the whole thing. I have actually had the papers ready for a few months, but haven't figured out what to get to replace it. As a 5 person car (vs. minivan or SUV) family, we are somewhat limited in our choice (or have actively limited it). Probably an electric car for in town driving with my BMW 3-series wagon becoming more of a highway car. Though I am tempted to get a Miata with a stick shift.

We have an EV for city driving (ironically, a VW e-Golf) and it is fantastic for city driving. It is a lovely thing to drive around the city. No noise, no gas stations, and it is actually fun to drive.

On the other hand, I also have a stick shift Miata - can't go wrong with these either. Of course, an old Miata is very cheap and they are easy to care for.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
We have an EV for city driving (ironically, a VW e-Golf) and it is fantastic for city driving. It is a lovely thing to drive around the city. No noise, no gas stations, and it is actually fun to drive.

On the other hand, I also have a stick shift Miata - can't go wrong with these either. Of course, an old Miata is very cheap and they are easy to care for.
Sounds like you like the e-Golf. That's good to know. I think that it makes a lot of sense for us as well, but my wife is currently a little skeptical of VW. We will be taking some test drives over the next week and that is the first car on the list.

The Miata does not make practical sense for us, but I would love to own one. Once we have this purchase sorted out, I will start looking for used ones. Either that or a late 90s Z3. We used to a be a all stick-shift family until a couple of years ago and I would like to be able to teach my kids how to drive one. An archaic, forgotten skill, but why not. Sort of like manual focus and M-mode, I guess.

uscrx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
2011-10-01_08-38-53_921.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andrew L
Sounds like you like the e-Golf. That's good to know. I think that it makes a lot of sense for us as well, but my wife is currently a little skeptical of VW. We will be taking some test drives over the next week and that is the first car on the list.

The Miata does not make practical sense for us, but I would love to own one. Once we have this purchase sorted out, I will start looking for used ones. Either that or a late 90s Z3. We used to a be a all stick-shift family until a couple of years ago and I would like to be able to teach my kids how to drive one. An archaic, forgotten skill, but why not. Sort of like manual focus and M-mode, I guess.
I had a manual Mitsubishi Eclipse that was my favorite car by far (technically my third car, but the first one I had the money to shop for instead of buying whatever was cheapest and most expedient). Mind you, it wasn't new, it was nine years old when I bought it, but it brought me much joy. It was my first manual, and I bought it in southern California, 900 miles from where I live, and had to learn to drive stick in a day and a half before driving the car back up to Oregon. That trip was a learning experience!

Now both my car and my wife's are automatic, and when I replace my Jeep it will 100% be with a manual transmission. My wife doesn't like the idea but I'm putting my foot down (no pun!) and agreed that I will have whatever amount of patience is necessary in teaching her to drive it. I hate being so unengaged driving with an automatic. The camera comparison is apt!

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
I had a manual Mitsubishi Eclipse that was my favorite car by far (technically my third car, but the first one I had the money to shop for instead of buying whatever was cheapest and most expedient). Mind you, it wasn't new, it was nine years old when I bought it, but it brought me much joy. It was my first manual, and I bought it in southern California, 900 miles from where I live, and had to learn to drive stick in a day and a half before driving the car back up to Oregon. That trip was a learning experience!

Now both my car and my wife's are automatic, and when I replace my Jeep it will 100% be with a manual transmission. My wife doesn't like the idea but I'm putting my foot down (no pun!) and agreed that I will have whatever amount of patience is necessary in teaching her to drive it. I hate being so unengaged driving with an automatic. The camera comparison is apt!
I learned to drive on a manual, and up until July 1, 2017, I always had one. I have all automatics now. I love the auto in my F150, but a couple of the others are rather outdated. The older I get, the harder it is to move my knees at times. I'm probably safer with the auto.

Aperture Don

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've owned more cars than cameras, but this one is fun. My current 2015 Mini Countryman All 4 is a fun car, but overpriced, and I'm probably going to get killed on resale. These were taken with a Nikon Df at 35mm, f/4, ISO 100 and 360 respectively, 1/1000 and 1/100 respectively.

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

Real Name
Andrew L
I learned to drive on a manual, and up until July 1, 2017, I always had one. I have all automatics now. I love the auto in my F150, but a couple of the others are rather outdated. The older I get, the harder it is to move my knees at times. I'm probably safer with the auto.
Automatics are definitely not all the same. Specifically a lot of modern ones are a big pain to drive. They have too many gears, and are always shifting. Add to that they're designed for optimum fuel economy, not optimum power or driving comfort. The Chrysler 200 rental I drove a little while back annoyed me. On the other hand, our '09 Civic has a five-speed (forward) automatic that has plenty of pep, is very predictable and easy to work with and doesn't shift every few seconds whether it needs to or not. Honda kept that car's fuel economy excellent by keeping the car light, and as a result I still enjoy driving it.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer

I learnt to drive on a manual as well and until I got my BMW 3-series wagon in 2015, I had never owned an automatic. My wife drives stick as well, so we were an all manual family for a long time. In fact, back in 2003, I got a special order stick shift Passat wagon and the salesguy told me that I would never be able to resell it. Sadly, it was totaled in an accident which is when we replaced it with the Passat above. VW no longer sells sticks in their higher trim levels (and BMW doesn't sell sticks in the wagon), so we are all automatic now. While I enjoy the fact that I don't always have to keep shifting in the bay area traffic, I miss the involvement I had when I drove a manual. While we will probably not go all manual again, having one around and teaching the kids how to drive it seems like a good goal.

As an aside, the first car I bought with my own money was a used 2-door Nissan Sentra SE which I sold to a friend after 8 years of driving it. He burnt the clutch on US 101 driving down to SoCal the next day! I did the decent thing and paid for the new clutch, but I am sure that I could have saved some money by giving him driving lessons instead :)

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
1980 Grumman step van with Cummins 4BT diesel, running on vegetable oil, painted with my signature image, printed on stencils:

VeggieVanGogh.jpg

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
This is the image I painted on the side of the van:
99AO08-18 17"x5.9".jpg

Which was a composite of 13 separate images, shot (portrait) on Kodachrome with a panorama tripod head, scanned, and hand-stitched in Photoshop. Olympus OM-4T, Zuiko 24mm ƒ2.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Skoda Octavia Stationwagon and a WV T4 Multivan Syncro pop-top.

The Skoda replaced a Passat of the same ilk after I wrecked the gearbox on a timber road while out hunting beaver, and the T4 a like T3, that again replaced a LR Discovery, the last of giving 15 years of Solihull product the benefit of the doubt and the better parts of my income trying to keep them running...

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
After 8 years I said goodbye to my Toyota Aygo.
He will be remembered as an always smilling friend, a nice companion.
We shared great times together.
Hope he finds a new friend

Latest threads

Top Bottom