What car brand you drive? POLL

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
@BosseBe the general rule for permanent drive AWD or activated 4WD cars is that when anything happens, first move aim with the steering wheel, second move floor the throttle pedal, third move adjust steering&throttle accordingly

of course there are myriads of conditions/space available/power-output-vs-grip exceptions that nullify the rule but in general it works, the car stops wobbling around and, like a cat slipping on the floor in the wrong direction, grabs with all wheels to the direction dictated by the steering wheel and saves the day- of course some times it is better to bang on a wall than fight to avoid it and end up over the cliff or try to keep on the road and face a 38 tonne truck head on vs ditching softly on a plowed field

this is the problem with AWD, it feels so well planted in adverse conditions until it is not which happens all too late and fiercely to be able to save it (unless you drift it on command in advance which mess up the groceries in the boot) - on rough conditions never rely on AWD, just forget it is there and drive like a 2WD car so AWD will be giving you headroom in the background to avoid bumping on the obstacles and you won‘t be cought off-guard
I like to drive back wheel drive cars in any condition, even on slippery surfaces, because they are consistent in how they behave, you feel the rear end going away and you know how to control it.
Now with traction control in the car, you just steer it to where you want to go, as long as you are not on ice!
On ice all bets are off! Drive slowly and don't loose grip! If you loose the grip, let up the gas and try to find traction by steering and applying a little gas.

Sometimes it is better to do a 360 in that condition because the your speed will be lower and you have time to prepare for getting straight again.

There have been situations when I have gladly put the side of my car into the snow wall at the side of the road to help getting out of a spin! Better some scratched paint then a crash.
Driving the car as if it was a back wheel drive sounds like good advice!

Real Name
Melissa
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@BosseBe the general rule for permanent drive AWD or activated 4WD cars is that when anything happens, first move aim with the steering wheel, second move floor the throttle pedal, third move adjust steering&throttle accordingly

of course there are myriads of conditions/space available/power-output-vs-grip exceptions that nullify the rule but in general it works, the car stops wobbling around and, like a cat slipping on the floor in the wrong direction, grabs with all wheels to the direction dictated by the steering wheel and saves the day- of course some times it is better to bang on a wall than fight to avoid it and end up over the cliff or try to keep on the road and face a 38 tonne truck head on vs ditching softly on a plowed field

this is the problem with AWD, it feels so well planted in adverse conditions until it is not which happens all too late and fiercely to be able to save it (unless you drift it on command in advance which mess up the groceries in the boot) - on rough conditions never rely on AWD, just forget it is there and drive like a 2WD car so AWD will be giving you headroom in the background to avoid bumping on the obstacles and you won‘t be cought off-guard
Most "AWD" cars are AWD on demand - by which time it's generally too late. Full-time AWD with a torque split of roughly 50:50 is infinitely preferable.

Viscous LSDs also work far better than mechanical ones in most normal driving circumstances, and often in many off road situations too. They get a bad rap because they are not noticeable in operation the way a mechanical LSD is.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Full-time AWD with a torque split of roughly 50:50 is infinitely preferable.
a zillion systems out there, other doing the job seamlessly and others quite clunky and incosistent but on most modern cars they have ironed out response times to make lesser systems behave much better than the past - look at the latest haldex system or what that new Mini 4x4 has... on my loved Subaru front, the 4EAT logging Outback guys discovered that the MPT automatics seriously interlock the two axles only at full throttle so full time AWD from the proven and iconic AWD brand is not that different from Haldex-5 after all and this was many years ago (ok the haldex system had quite less thermal capacity to withstand prolonged slippage but we are talking safe normal driving and not constant high performance driving)

The OP made an interesting suggestion that m43 users might lean away from the mainstream - I certainly like to think so. The makes of car which I drive tend to be Japanese - mainly Mitsubishi, thanks to childhood family car history. I would own and drive many more cars, but they cost a lot more to buy, maintain and store, and are harder to sell, than cameras (which I buy and store or sell quite a lot more of)!

Here's a current selection:

1980 Mitsubishi Chrysler Scorpion:

1984 Daihatsu F20 Scat (TAFT):

...and a weird French goddess of '74:

I decided that British cars aren't my thing, so I sold this earlier in the year:

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
The OP made an interesting suggestion that m43 users might lean away from the mainstream - I certainly like to think so. The makes of car which I drive tend to be Japanese - mainly Mitsubishi, thanks to childhood family car history. I would own and drive many more cars, but they cost a lot more to buy, maintain and store, and are harder to sell, than cameras (which I buy and store or sell quite a lot more of)!

View attachment 848240

View attachment 848239

View attachment 848241

I decided that British cars aren't my thing, so I sold this earlier in the year:
View attachment 848238
A manufacturer actually named their vehicle “scat”? 🤦🏻‍♂️

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@MichailK AWD really needs to be working before you get into strife, not even a millisecond after
that is why most modern systems have the transfer clutch precharged to always have some torque delivered to the other axle, the same way the MPT Subaru system has been working while cruising

(I also understand that it is not always a story of transfering engine torque to both axles but, when off the throttle, to also have the axles relative speeds in check thus dictating each wheel to have a rotating speed not much different than what is proper for the vehicle’s speed over the tarmac, this way improving control when on the limits of traction inside a corner - if I remember well, maximum traction is present with the wheels rotating slightly faster or slower than the vehicle’s speed)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

View attachment 848240

View attachment 848239

View attachment 848241

View attachment 848238
Growing up, my neighbour had a Rover 2000TC in the garage/shed at the end of his garden. It was an awful yellow/green colour, but was his pride and joy. Taking 'the Rover' out on a Sunday was quite an event in 1975. I lived about a mile from the factory and practically all of my friends' parents worked there in between strikes.

My dad bought an old P5 in the 80's and that was a good car (his car history was Jags - XKs and XJs). The P5 felt like you were driving your favourite armchair.

My car history is less impressive. A Hyundai Ioniq (good car/expensive wheeltrims) has just gone back, leaving a 2017 Nissan X-Trail which I can safely say is one of the worst cars I've ever had the misfortune to drive. Press the accelerator and.....it may or may not decide to lurch forward eventually, which is interesting at roundabouts. Huge car, cramped interior with crap suspension. Lease is up on that one soon thank God.

Wife uses a wheelchair so we need a car big enough to accommodate a crane in the boot, so a VW Sharan (Ford Galaxy/SEAT Alhambra) is ordered. Not exactly cool but it cannot possibly be any worse than the Nissan.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid..... not much power but like the 60mpg. Hit 67mpg cruising back roads at 55mph
Sport mode is good for surprising other motorists at traffic lights.

Battery performance is adversely affected by low temperatures.

About 55mpg in the winter, but up to 80mpg in the summer.

Our gallons are bigger than your gallons though :)

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This will probably only make sense to the English but here is my little list (which I think is in order of purchase but my memory ain't wot it woz ... and I also may have missed out the odd short time ownership) -

Ford Popular 100E
Triumph Herald
Wolseley 1500
Volkswagen Beetle
Ford Cortina Mk1
Hillman Avenger (estate)
Ford Cortina Mk111 (estate)
Fiat Strada
Rover 214
Rover 25
Renault Modus
and currently - Suzuki Vitara (new style)

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
True story! I like to think Scat in this instance means 'to get away', as it's a great vehicle for all terrain. I prefer the acronym TAFT, as it's known in most other markets, which is a much better description: Tough Almighty Four-wheel-drive Transport.
I guess it’s still a better name than the Mazda Laputa (ask any Spanish speaker what that means)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom