1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

what can replace my E-PL1? a very broad question...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mesmerized, Jun 27, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Dear All,

I'm not a serious photographer, I'm just an amateur who likes to grab the camera from time to time and take 150pics just to choose one afterwards. I've got my E-PL1 with two lenses and this set is going to be sold most probably.

To be honest, since I bought my E-PL1 I haven't really followed the market development and I'm... totally lost now. I really don't know what to choose from a large variety of cameras. Nor do I have enough time to read carefully about every single camera that has appeared on the market since I bought the E-PL1.

Therefore, I'm asking for your advice. I've always been fond of mirrorless cameras and I've always liked Olympus best (for some wierd reason) Yet, I've noticed that there are lots of interesting cams on the market right now...

What do you think I should invest in? Should I go for another m4/3 cam or a DSLR or perhaps something like Sony NEX?

I know my question is way too broad but... Here are some cams that have attracted me in one way or another. Which one would you recommend? I love taking pics of people, ancient Chinese buildings and... yeah, landscapes.

Olly OM-D E-M5 (it's priced reasonably... with 12-50mm kit lens)
    Fujifilm X-M1 (I don't know if it's out yet or not)
    Pentax K5 IIs
    Fujifilm X20 (no possibility of changing the lens... :/)
    Fujifilm X-E1
    Sony NEX7
    Samsung NX series (APS-C sensor)

I know I'm asking for a lot here but... I'd be much obliged if you could drop a line or two in this thread.

Thanks

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Based on this I'd say the cheap Lumix GX1 or the Olympus E-PM2 :smile:

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    The E-PM2 is just awesome!!! :D

With that said, if only Sony have better lenses that Nex-7 would have been very attractive to me, good ergonomics, controls etc and IQ.

4. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Well, I guess I don't really wanna limit myself to E-PM2... as a matter of fact I'm looking for something more advanced... with a viewfinder... I mean, I wanna get a major improvement over my E-PL1.

What do you think about those Samsung and Fuji products?

I'm leaning towards OM-D but... well, how does it stand against DSLRs or NEX's?

5. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Why do you want a new camera? Is your EPL1 limiting you?

-An EPL1 shooter

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Again, based on this and your stated preference for a viewfinder, I'd say a Panasonic G5 or Sony NEX 6... or possibly the Fuji X20 if you don't mind results from the smaller sensor. If you're going to sell your two lenses with the E-PL1 then you're certainly not locked into any one system.

If I were you, I'd ask myself: Do I really want or need an interchangeable lens camera? If not, maybe the X20 may do it for you. But if you'd actually get use out of two or three lenses, you might want to go for the NEX 6 with the kit 16-50 power zoom lens. You can always add the inexpensive but surprisingly good Sigma 19mm and 30mm prime lenses later if you find you need or want them.

The G5 is available at closeout prices right now (but not quite as cheap as the GX1). If you buy a G5 body only, I would start with the Panasonic 14-45mm zoom (not the 14-42) and add the 45-150 zoom and 20mm f/1.7 zoom as I needed them.

Based on your stated shooting style, I don't know that I'd bother with a full-blown DSLR or one of the $1,000-plus Fuji X cameras. But if you decided you really wanted a DSLR, I'd go for either the Pentax K-30, which is now being closed out at $499 or less for the body only (maybe start with the 18-135 zoom, which has weather resistance just like the K30 body) or perhaps the brand-new Sony SLT A58, which goes for $599 with kit 18-55mm zoom (about the same price as the X20). You can add the Sony 55-200mm zoom, which is crazy good for the price.

7. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    My EPL1 is damn slow... the autofocus takes ages...

At the same time I'm totally aware of my poor shooting skills :)

8. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Yes, absolutely.

I was thinking of going for OM-D plus Olly 45mm... I love taking pictures of people.

Perhaps I'm just not aware of the existence of a better set here.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I added a couple of DSLR options to the final graph of my message. I just can't see you buying a camera body for more than $1,000 given the rather casual nature of your shooting (which is just fine, by the way).

10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Buy the Panasonic G3 (great price - great camera) body or the G5, you already have the lenses.

11. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    How does OM-D stand against Pentax K-30 or Canon EOS 600D or NEX6?

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The OM-D stays right with them up to and including ISO 3200. Then the APS-C cameras begin to pull away. The phase-detection auto-focus of the Pentax and Canon (and Sony A58) give them yet another advantage in the form of much better tracking auto-focus.

13. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    IQ wise in good light the OM-D is very good. While not as smooth as a Fullframe DSLR, the DR is almost as good and probably is on par with most APS-C sensors in IQ.

I think you need to consider whether you want to have an interchangeable lens or not, certainly the m43 group is the best when it comes to that. Since you mentioned a viewfinder, an E-M5 or G5 (a lot cheaper) should be good options. If you want a totally different system, Nex-5/6/7 are nice, although their lens selection is quite limited, far (due to being an APS-C) and not up to par with almost any of the Oly sharpness wise. Samsung NX is still playing catch up at the moment AFAIK, although they have some nice lenses on their system now.

All of the ones I mentioned above have good, quick AF-S but not very good when it comes to continuous AF (AF-C). If you want continuous AF look at the Nikon 1 offerings, again limited lenses and smaller sensor.

14. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    I think that interchangable lens are the only possibility for me since I want to take portraits as well as pics of architecture and landscapes... I don't know if there's a camera that could give me all of that in one lens...

On the other hand, I don't think I'll need more than an Olly 45mm and a kit lens 12-50mm...

Is there a competetive portrait lens for NEX?

By AF-C you mean the autofocus that is used in shooting videos?

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy the VF-2 viewfinder. this will be a major improvement over your bare e-pL1.
    Your leses are good, any other system is likely to take a step down in sharpness with their own kit zooms.
    Later buy an e-pL5 and an mZuiko 45mm lens.

All set.

16. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Hmm... sounds reasonable... how about VF-3?

I think I have to get rid of my Panny 45-200 lens...

17. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I see...

AF-C as in continuous focus, when your subject moves your camera will refocus as long as you press the AF button, you have this function in your camera but it is not very good at doing it, all m43 sucks at it.

DSLR cameras and the Nikon 1 series can do this properly though, in fact that is the only real weakness I can think of on the m43 system.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    A DSLR like the Pentax will probably give the absolute best image quality. However, the O-MD E-M5 will be nearly as good (and probably not a visible difference) and since you seem to like Olympus it's a good choice. It's a great camera and many seem happy with there choice. The AF speed, IBIS, and IQ will please you.

19. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Stay with the e-pl1, unless it is hindering your advancement. Unless you think getting a newer camera with quicker AF will prompt you to get out and shoot more, there doesn't seem to be a reason to buy another, besides stimulating the economy :smile:

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I see a comment regarding slow AF with the E-PL1 but I see little talk about size and packaging. As such, I would recommend a DSLR with PDAF. None of the mirrorless cameras using CDAF have the same AF performance the tried and true mirror-based PDAF systems.

I would ~not~ recommend the Pentax (and I am a Pentax fan). Unless you are totally invested in older K mount lenses, the lens section from Canon and Nikon are far better and easier to find at good prices.

Second to the DSLR recommendation, I would give the OMD E-M5 a thumbs up. Still no where close to my DSLR (Canon 1DMarkII). in terms of AF but everything else is competitive. Its a nice blend of features and quality. It commands a premium price relative to other m43 cameras. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Third to the OMD E-M5, I say the Panasonic G5. I've seen them go for way south of $500 and that's a major bargain for what you get. The price for a G5 (body only) + a 12-35mm f/2.8 is only slightly more expensive than the OMD E-M5 w/ the 12-50mm kit lens. You end up with a much better lens.

Last Fuji has really made great headway into their cameras. Probably topping out the original list in terms of IQ but again... slow AF. They a unique sensor that I like.

I have never been a fan of the Sony NEX series. Again, limited lens selection that interests me as well as their UI.

PS> My E-PL1 still gets a lot of use even with the OMD available. I op for it at times when I simply just want something a bit easier to carry... and not worry about breakage, loss, or theft. Still a great camera and sticking with the E-PL1 is certainly a viable option.