1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What can I do video capture from EP3 to computer?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ke7dbx, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    What can I do video capture from EP3 to computer? I have tried HDMI to the computer. No luck with that. I know the Canons can do it with HDMI. The only thing I can think of is A/V capture card of some type that has RCA cable support. Unless there is a setting in the camera I don't know about.

Anyone have any ideas?

All I want to do is use my computer for monitoring purposes.

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Not sure I have a happy answer for you, but your question seems a bit confusing... Are you trying to (1) play back shots you've already taken with the camera? Or are you trying to (2) use the computer to see what the camera sees as you take the shots?

If you want to (2) use the computer to see what the camera sees in real time as you shoot, I don't believe the PENs can do that. Olympus's (regular) Four-Thirds bodies can be connected to do so in what is called "tethered mode." This requires using Olympus Studio software. But I think Olympus did not include this ability in any of the PENs.

I know I can't use tethered mode with my E-PL2 but I can with my E-5 and other full 43 bodies. Perhaps someone else can verify whether or not the E-P3 has this ability.

3. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    That is why I am confused. I saw a tech/gadget guy on youtube, by the nick of Blunty3000. He said he was using his E-P3 as a live monitor in one of his videos. I messaged him and all he said is read the Manuel. I already did with out any luck. I even when back to it after that message. Unless there is a reamed feature I don't know about.

I think the only option at this point is a AV capture card.

4. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Aha! Just found an answer for you on another forum...

... but I don't think it's gonna make you smile. :frown:

5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Ya it it does not do video. :( That is why I want tethering. Sense the E-P3 does not come with a flip out screen. Like the say the new Sony Alpha A77. I need monitoring for a pod cast I want to do.

6. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I don't think an AV card is going to help you. Olympus PENs do not output a video signal when they're in record mode. So if you plan to connect the camera to the AV card, there will be no signal for the card to see until you set the camera to playback mode.

You might try an eye-fi card instead of your standard SD card. But unless the data is being sent as it's being written, that won't do what you want, either.

Maybe you could try a mirror? That sounds ludicrous, but it actually might work.

7. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I don't need to record to the computer. I have the SD card for that. Like I say the pen has no flip screen. So if the pen is facing me. I have no way of framing anything. That is the whole point for me.

8. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    The E-P3 and the A77 don't seem like they are the right tool for a pod cast... HD web cam might be a better option...

9. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Then tell Digitalrev from stop using them. DLSRs are taking over a lot of video productions now. HD web cam to does not give you any lens options. No f-top options. HD web cam would be the last thing I would ever use.

10. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    For a Pod Cast...? spend more than $50 for a camera to shoot video that gets viewed on an iPod/iPhone... and your wasting your money...

11. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Here is Blunty3000 using E-P3

Here is the video I was talking about were I clearly states he is using the E-p3 and using some type of monitor. And his interesting experience buying on another compact system camera.

The Stupid Story of My New Pentax Q - YouTube

12. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Podcast is a generic term now days. It does not mean just Ipods or phones.

13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
  14. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Thanks for the idea.

15. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I found a work around.

This is what I discovered. I can get a small Rearview Reverse Car Camera Monitor on ebay. It uses the standard VGA cables.

This guy is doing what I want to do with his Canon DSLR. He is useing one of these small monitors.
    Dirt Cheep Monitor project! | DSLR Film Noob

Yippie!

16. mjones41

mjones41 New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2012
    it easy to monitor what you are recording

Perhaps I don't understand what you want, but to view what you are recording or still capturing (either) on a monitor or television, you just use the supplied AV cable and plug it in to the camera and the other end in to the AV on the TV or monitor.

It's easy, it works really well, and the E-P3 produces great quality video, especially when sitting on tripod (no jello effect).

As I said this works for recording video or stills, so it is not tethered in terms of capturing the data on your computer, but it acts as a remote monitor and you record to the SD card in the camera.

Cheers
    Matt