What can D5000 do that GX1 can't?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by panyuser, Feb 8, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I wonder if you guys could help me sort out some thoughts I've been having.

I've had a D5000 for a few years now, and love it, but find myself not wanting to take it places because it's big and bulky and heavy, so ended up trying to rely on my S90 compact.

I recently got the GX1, and it's wonderful. In my own image comparisons, ISO noise is about equal with the D5000 at 3200 and 6400. It's also so much more fun to carry about and actually take photos with.

I love using natural light, and often take photos of friends and things in low light, so like fast primes, something m43 seems to excel at.

I can only think of keeping the D5000 for 3 reasons:

1. Its intervalometer, in case one day I want to use this function (it sounds fun to do, but I've never got round to it).
    2. Better AF for non-pro sports (though I have no long lenses to help here anyway).
    3. Flash photography.

TL;DR: How do you guys find using the GX1 and its siblings (E-P3 etc.) for these things?

Have you had good results using the continuous AF?

If I want to go down the strobist route and learn more about flash photography, will the GX1 be as open to me as the D5000?
  2. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    For strobing... The GX1 will only sync up to 1/160, so it may be a little more of a challenge to balance ambient... You could always stop down or use an ND filter though.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-P3 is the closest thing you'll find to the GX-1. The E-P3 has world-class S-AF but no better C-AF than the GX-1. The new OM-D E-M5 however, has a new 3D AF system which is meant to work in 3 planes to allow tracking objects coming towards or away from you... just like PDAF! That technology, if it works as stated, essentially takes away the last of the DSLR advantage (Our EVFs have already trumped the OVF in many ways, and the OM-D is now offering a more pro-grade build).

However, why can't you shoot sports with S-AF? I've never had a reason not to. Even MF works fine if you're an experienced sports photographer, but the blazing fast AF of the E-P3 or GX1 will get you more than enough fine shots! In fact, I'd wager it'll do better than C-AF as it'll make you the photographer learn to time your shots with better technique. You'll be able to capture amazing photos and not waste a card full of images.

As far as flash control... there's nothing the D5000 does particularly better than the PEN or GX1. It's all the same basic system, all across brands. The only system cameras that CAN'T handle flash properly are the ones which have totally disregarded external flash usage, such as the Panasonic GF-3, Sony NEX, Nikon 1, etc.

There is only one thing that the Nikon system currently (emphasis on "currently"!) does which the Micro Four-Thirds system doesn't, is to offer a full lens collection to include fast telephotos and zooms, while still using native mounts with fully optimized AF. With the rate the m4/3 lens collection is growing though, this will soon change. In the meantime our choices for long, fast lenses are Four-Thirds arena with less-than-optimal AF or with legacy lenses with MF. That's the one thing we have to live with for now.

Since you say you don't own any Nikon telephoto lenses though, then this is completely irrelevant to you! There is nothing your GX-1 can't do that your D5000 can, in that case.

The Nikon D5000 is not that much better. Its X-sync is only 1/200s. The closest is the Olympus PEN at 1/180s, though the newest Olympus OM-D is now 1/250s like the E-5.

I've never found it to be a big difference going from a 1/250s X-sync to a 1/180s X-sync. Stopping down is the natural thing to do when working with strobes.
  4. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Thanks; you've all pretty much convinced me that I should sell my D5000 and kit while it's still got a half-decent value.

The cheap Fotodiox intervalometers on amazon: are they compatible with the GX1? It seems to be just a standard type of release cable (jack)...
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That unfortunately I don't know... I only know which will fit on an Olympus.