1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What camera would you suggest 2nd hand for around £300?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wab, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I currently have the Olympic E-PL3 and a bunch of very nice prime lenses. I'm looking for an upgrade though.

I would like a tilt screen and an integrated viewfinder.

I'm interested in street photography and I spend a lot of time photographing runners, but my understanding of M43 cameras are that their tracking autofocus systems aren't that good, so I normally just pre focus and wait for the runner to enter the zone.

Anyway, what would you recommend? An OMD5? Or a different brand? The Panasonic GX7 looks nice.

I don't know a lot about cameras, but you can probably tell. :-(

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Get an original E-M10 if your budget is tight. It will give you the same image quality as the other E-M cameras and has a tilt screen. I used one for 1-1/2 years and got good results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    Thanks, mate; it's an attractive looking camera too. I love that retro look.

Thanks.

4. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've just read the reviews; it looks just what I was looking for. I'm pleased I asked and you answered.

That's a beer I owe you.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I just bought a used E-M10 for my wife at under £200. It's an excellent camera.

6. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    A used E-M10 would be my choice too...it won't be a squeeze to get it within budget at all!

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    used GH1

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think the GX7 does what you're asking for and there is a cracking deal on now for £345 including a choice of lenses at Cameraworld. (I have no affiliation with them but I have bought from them in the past).
    Cameraworld - Search results for: 'gx7'

So you don't even need to go used.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'd go for the E-M10 too.

The E-M5 could be interesting if weather sealing is important to you, maybe you leave in a rainy country or do water sports. This requires a weather sealed lens too like the 12-50 for example. Compared to the E-M10 you'd miss wifi, focus peaking, integrated small flash, a little smaller size but you get a little better IBIS.

If action shots are really a priority consider the E-M1 or a recent Panasonic camera with DfD (G7, GX8, works with Pana lenses only) even if price is different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I'd get a GX7, but then I'm totally biased as I have one! :laugh1: Seriously though, if you like the rangefinder style, then that is your best option in that price range, and it is a very good camera.
    However, you don't say which lenses you have, and that may affect your choice in terms of stabilisation (in camera vs in lens).

11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Wab
    What country are you in ?

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The GX7 is an extremely nice choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    E-M10 has made me very happy - only thing I miss is the weather-sealing.

But honestly I dont think there are any bad buys as far as cameras go in the m43 world right now.

14. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    None of my lenses have stabilisation, so the Oly in-body stabilisation is a bonus.

I'm in Wales, in the UK, but in my defence when I ended up here, I was an active alcoholic.

I've ordered an E-M10 for £249; I'm looking forward to getting it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    In that case, I'd suggest a weather sealed body :laugh1::hide:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've got an old film Olympus; the OM10; it's a SLR. I think the E-M10 looks very much like the OM10. I know Olympus kept the same kind of style for a lot of years.

[​IMG]

17. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    The camera arrived yesterday; really pleased with it, Carbonman - thanks.

And my suspicion that the E-M10 really like the 1979 OM10 is confirmed. The OM10 was a dumbed down version of the OM1, and I believe the E-M10 is a similar product in relation to the E-M1.

P1015360.

And by a weird coincidence I have the OM10 too; I found a working body at a car boot sale for £5.00 (I like to play about with film too).

• Like Like x 4
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you have Oly primes with no OIS the EM10 will have better IBIS that might be an advantage. I also wouldn't hesitate on a GX7 if the deal was good. I had both these cameras and they are a pleasure to use. For WR, there are lots of really good EM5 deals right now, at least on my side of the pond.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds V204040BU000 B&H

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M10 has a little better stabilization (and it works in video), but the GX7 has a lot of very nice features for manual lenses. For example, high quality focusing peaking that auto enables itself when you mount a manual focus only lens (based on a setting) and goes away when you mount an AF lens. Also has one click focus magnification if peaking isn't precise enough for your subject. I love that it prompts you for the focal length automatically when you mount a manual lens so the IBIS is always set right. Little things like that make shooting manual lenses a treat.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    E-M10

• Like Like x 1