What camera would you suggest 2nd hand for around £300?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wab, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I currently have the Olympic E-PL3 and a bunch of very nice prime lenses. I'm looking for an upgrade though.

I would like a tilt screen and an integrated viewfinder.

I'm interested in street photography and I spend a lot of time photographing runners, but my understanding of M43 cameras are that their tracking autofocus systems aren't that good, so I normally just pre focus and wait for the runner to enter the zone.

Anyway, what would you recommend? An OMD5? Or a different brand? The Panasonic GX7 looks nice.

I don't know a lot about cameras, but you can probably tell. :-(

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Get an original E-M10 if your budget is tight. It will give you the same image quality as the other E-M cameras and has a tilt screen. I used one for 1-1/2 years and got good results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    Thanks, mate; it's an attractive looking camera too. I love that retro look.

Thanks.

4. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've just read the reviews; it looks just what I was looking for. I'm pleased I asked and you answered.

That's a beer I owe you.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I just bought a used E-M10 for my wife at under £200. It's an excellent camera.

6. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    A used E-M10 would be my choice too...it won't be a squeeze to get it within budget at all!

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    used GH1

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think the GX7 does what you're asking for and there is a cracking deal on now for £345 including a choice of lenses at Cameraworld. (I have no affiliation with them but I have bought from them in the past).
    Cameraworld - Search results for: 'gx7'

So you don't even need to go used.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'd go for the E-M10 too.

The E-M5 could be interesting if weather sealing is important to you, maybe you leave in a rainy country or do water sports. This requires a weather sealed lens too like the 12-50 for example. Compared to the E-M10 you'd miss wifi, focus peaking, integrated small flash, a little smaller size but you get a little better IBIS.

If action shots are really a priority consider the E-M1 or a recent Panasonic camera with DfD (G7, GX8, works with Pana lenses only) even if price is different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I'd get a GX7, but then I'm totally biased as I have one! :laugh1: Seriously though, if you like the rangefinder style, then that is your best option in that price range, and it is a very good camera.
    However, you don't say which lenses you have, and that may affect your choice in terms of stabilisation (in camera vs in lens).

11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Wab
    What country are you in ?

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The GX7 is an extremely nice choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    E-M10 has made me very happy - only thing I miss is the weather-sealing.

But honestly I dont think there are any bad buys as far as cameras go in the m43 world right now.

14. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    None of my lenses have stabilisation, so the Oly in-body stabilisation is a bonus.

I'm in Wales, in the UK, but in my defence when I ended up here, I was an active alcoholic.

I've ordered an E-M10 for £249; I'm looking forward to getting it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    In that case, I'd suggest a weather sealed body :laugh1::hide:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've got an old film Olympus; the OM10; it's a SLR. I think the E-M10 looks very much like the OM10. I know Olympus kept the same kind of style for a lot of years.

[​IMG]

17. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    The camera arrived yesterday; really pleased with it, Carbonman - thanks.

And my suspicion that the E-M10 really like the 1979 OM10 is confirmed. The OM10 was a dumbed down version of the OM1, and I believe the E-M10 is a similar product in relation to the E-M1.

P1015360.

And by a weird coincidence I have the OM10 too; I found a working body at a car boot sale for £5.00 (I like to play about with film too).

• Like Like x 4
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you have Oly primes with no OIS the EM10 will have better IBIS that might be an advantage. I also wouldn't hesitate on a GX7 if the deal was good. I had both these cameras and they are a pleasure to use. For WR, there are lots of really good EM5 deals right now, at least on my side of the pond.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds V204040BU000 B&H

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M10 has a little better stabilization (and it works in video), but the GX7 has a lot of very nice features for manual lenses. For example, high quality focusing peaking that auto enables itself when you mount a manual focus only lens (based on a setting) and goes away when you mount an AF lens. Also has one click focus magnification if peaking isn't precise enough for your subject. I love that it prompts you for the focal length automatically when you mount a manual lens so the IBIS is always set right. Little things like that make shooting manual lenses a treat.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    E-M10

• Like Like x 1