What camera? Who cares! Buy Nik!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by shawngibson, Apr 23, 2013.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    I guess Google saw the potential. Instagram. Grammas. Young people. Dumb people. Smart people. Professionals.

No one cares what camera or system we shoot with anymore, as long as it's Nikked. Heck no need to even ask if a human took the photo or a dog took a poop which landed on the shutter, which created a photo, which was then Nikked.

I sense impending Borg.
  2. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

What is Nik?

And who uses Instagram? Isn't just for yuppies to show off what "food" they are eating with their yuppy friends?
  3. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Nik is a company who makes awesome software that I've been using for probably a decade. But with the popularity of camera phone apps that make you instantly famous for showing a wiener dog's back leg behind a blurry sidewalk, it's about to make us even dumber, or should I say dumerr.

Lots of people use Instagram, and Facebook. I don't use either but when someone shows me a photo or a post, I'm like, really, you needed to update your blog with photos of your dog licking your leg while you're pooping and crying on the toilet after a fight with your husband that went badly because he was so wrong?
  4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm getting the same feeling. I see a LOT of single image HDR using HDR Efex Pro.
  5. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    A photo that could somehow depict all of that, would actually be pretty amazing.
  6. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    And what are you willing to forego in training as a photographer to achieve that? Everything?
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the more people having fun with photography the better... :)
    have a nice night!
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I dunno Eliot. I remember when being a photographer was a very specialized hobby, craft ... profession. Where a darkroom separated the photogs from the wanna-bees. Where a single 8x10 B&W print was something special.

Now, with everybody armed from dSLR's to camera phones claiming they are "photographers" ... somehow and sadly the mantel of 'photographer' has become terribly diluted and diminished.

More people having fun with photography, is a very good thing. The problem is that so many of those people instantly become a 'professional' the very day they acquire an interchangeable lens camera.

There are often times I long for the days when the darkroom was King.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i dont see why it bothers anyone if someone picks up a scalpel and declares themselves a doctor... i mean... unless their taking out YOUR appendix.

breath in
    breaht out :)

you have far better skills than any of these newbie "pros"
    so... let yer work speak for itself... and ignore them :)

i just want us all to twine flowers together and wear them on the crowns of our heads and prance around a may pole together
    and have someone who just got their first camera take photos of us

love more!
  10. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

You have some very good point Gary. I would like to add, it doesn't help, when you have DSLR/Mirrorless camera and people think you are a "pro" or tell you wow that is a great shot, just because you took pictures from a nice camera. Really can inflate a person's ego, almost happened to me the other week.
  11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Gary we are now in days where Lightroom is the king.:smile:
  12. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Whatever the tool, if it gets people interested in producing rather than consuming, I'm all for it.

Every "artistic" hobby has a message board where the latest tech is lamented by the established pros. Recording engineers see people making records in their basement with USB audio interfaces and freeware and just can't believe it. Video pros see people running around with DSLRs (and GH2s) mounted to DIY stabilizers and making YouTube videos and their hearts break. Etcetera, etcetera. Like it or don't but right now DIY is on the rise and everyone can be a content creator and there's not likely anything that will end that anytime soon. I also think the real pros will still stand out as such and most will be just fine, and more likely it's the mediocre "pros" who will suffer (you can't just buy a 7D and make $1000 shooting a wedding every weekend very easily anymore). Personally I think it's wonderful - I have so many friends who do creative stuff now and even if it's not always great it's so much better than talking to them about TV shows or sports teams or the frickin' weather!
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gary's points are all good but they really only impact people concerned in photography as a profession... from retail to print. I spent many years aspiring to be a professional photography until reality hit and the prospects are clear. I chose a different career path... glad I did. The easy accessibility to photography has diluted it in both quality and profession. Even the term "photography" has sparked a notion that software, post-process, and equipment drives ones photography rather than pure talent. The typical posts and threads here in the mu43 forum are a clear indication.

On the other hand from a person whose photography is a pure hobby for enjoyment, photography is flourishing... the more that enjoy it the better. We might not always agree what people choose to focus on.... heck I still don't understand wall "modern art"... but they all contribute to current trends that we all enjoy. Nik software, which I use heavily, is great! I'm sure I am indirectly benefiting from all those that do "single image HDR (ugh!)" via the licenses they purchase to fund Nik and now google. All those consumer and prosumer purchases do fund R&D at the higher end. In turn, the high end does trickle down technology back to the consumer and prosumer levels. All those non-professionals who don't want to drag around 100lbs of optics end up buying micro 4/3rds do drive development within the major players of this fine system we all enjoy. The fact that the availability of digital has driven the technology into the hands of everyone of all walks of life... no matter their financial status. Unfortunately, I'm too busy to enjoy the darkroom like years past BUT current digital technology allows me to enjoy it and without the frustration of dealing with technology in its infancy. Heck, we just saw Nik software drop drastically in price.... for similar reasons.

My only complaint about the sudden accessibility to photography is that the photographers that fit my definition of "photographers" rather than "users of photographic equipment" are diluted and difficult to connect with. I've grown increasingly frustrated buy the rather large photo-groups and the lack of interest in content. Right now, I'm enjoying being the "odd man out" with my Olympus or Leica rather the being dragged into the typical Canikon groupies. Every once in a while, I get that one photographer who comes up to me who is blind to Leica's panache or Olympus "smallness" and we actually get to talk about photography... it doesn't happen often... but its great when it does.

I can't have my cake and eat it too... so my vote... more is better... much better!
  14. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I really don't give two hoots about what people think of themselves, much less what they think of me.

If people are enjoying an art, what does it matter to anyone else why, or in what medium that art is explored and shared? Hell, what does it matter what someone defines as art? I never really liked Andy Warhol, but I'm not about to invalidate others' enjoyment of his work.

These threads always remind me of XKCD: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/connoisseur.png
  15. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    The contents of forums like this one indicate to me that a lot of people are trying to learn and develop their photography. Posts tend to focus on equipment and software because these are the areas that a system specific forum like this is going to be best suited for. There will be some overlap into general photography discussion, but the bulk of that probably occurs elsewhere (dpreview notwithstanding).

I imagine that new terms will rise to differentiate the professional and the artist from the crowds of camera operators, so maybe the term "photographer" will be deprecated, but something else will rise up in its place. I'll leave pondering what that might be to the philosophic and/or mischievous.

If you can't make money shooting weddings, it means that nobody ever wanted more than some decent photos of their day, they were all stuck with paying a pro. That applies to any other work that has been devalued. Short term value blindness will give way to long term realization of what work is actually worth paying pro prices for, and there may be a change in what kind of work you need to do in order to make a living at this.

For the great majority of us, this has always just been a hobby or an interest, not a means of income. It's why forums are full of discussion about 100s of lenses when pros would just buy the Canon 5DIII/Nikon D800S and the top three On-brand lenses for either and be done, no debate necessary.
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If I was a physician it would bother me that there people, many many people are out there butchering my profession, one that took years of education and years of hands-on experience to become proficient.

If I was a scalpel wielding neophyte, looking to make a quick buck over the weekend at the expenses of someone else's appendix ... wouldn't bother me one bit.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If you don't care, why did you bother to comment? If you haven't any regard for the opinions of others why should they care about your thoughts?

I do care what people think of me and I hope that others care what I think of them. Depending on the person, the value, the currency of their opinion will be either high or low.

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I think it's quite easy to see from your images that you have years of education and years of hands-on experience.
  19. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I will always advocate for a "live and let live" society. I will always advocate against a judgmental attitude. Somebody's opinion on my stance will neither motivate, nor discourage me in my advocacy.

The point is that there is this air of superiority ever present in these types of threads. It does not play well into supporting the typical "friendliness" and camaraderie of this forum. It's unbecoming.

I commented because of the off-chance that my thoughts do not fall on proverbial deaf ears will promote my advocacy of the above. The fact that it will most likely be ignored doesn't bother me, nor does it discourage me.
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I guess we sorta share frustrations. When I was shooting for a living, colleagues would get together and talk photography ... not so much equipment because we were all using the same stuff, but conversations like "... did you see Bob's shot of the Pope? Man. he nailed it." Then someone would add "... I saw him move to the back, and I thought what's back there? Next time I'm going to try a back shot, Bob used a 28 ... think I'll use a 20." And you make a mental note of what worked for the 'Shooters'. But mostly the conversations were just an unloading of all the stress. "Chris had the company car in the shop and took his out on an assignment ... he got a bullet hole in the trunk." "In his Beamer ...?" "Yep ... LOL"

Back then anybody sporting a SLR, you could have a decent conversation on photography.

The good ol' days.