1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What camera to buy

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigbob, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    Getting started with Micro 4/3 cameras. I now use single lens reflex cameras. I was a working newspaper photographer for 40 years. Now retired. I am more interested in still pix, but want to shoot a little video. I have looked at GX1 and GH 2 cameras. My question - Which one would have the lease amount of noise at iso 6400? This will be my first Micro 4/3 camera. Open for any other options. bigbob

2. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    The G3 for $299 from B&H photo is far and away the best value in photography at the moment.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Digital Camera Kit (Black) DMC-G3KK B&H

It has excellent ISO handling. The Sony NEX stuff (5R, F3) and the Olympus OM-D and Panasonic G5 are generally the best at high-ISOs, but you're going to spend 2-4x as much on those options.

My two cents...

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I think I'm right in saying (from reports and tests Ive read) that the G3 is actually slightly better at high ISO than the G5 whereas the G5 has a slight advantage with Dynamic Range

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Agreed - ISO 6400 is going to be a stretch with anything but perhaps the Olympus e-m5, e-pm2 or e-pl5 cameras using the latest Olympus sensor. The G3 would equal the GX-1, has a viewfinder and articulating screen, all in a package that is not a whole lot larger - and ISO 3200-4000 will be palatable with some post processing (even 6400 for web use). To get truly usable ISO6400 you'd have to look in the direction of the newest sony NEX cameras...at 3-4x the cost, and with about 20% of the lens selection that micro 4/3 offers.

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The GX1 is slightly better than the GH2 as it a newer sensor and the EM5 is the better than both.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Like Paul said,

get an EM5, EPM2 or EPL5. best sensor in this format now.

have you tried the Fuji XE1? slower in the AF dept (compared to the above mentioned). but might do a bit better in the high iso dept?.

I get awesome files on my OMD up to 3200. but never had to use anything beyond that. so not sure.

hard to get "clean" iso 6400 unless you go full frame IMO.

7. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    Thanks for all the help. I tried buying G3 kit B&H it has been discontinued. No of any other place at this price. bigbob

8. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    I have a used one for sale for much less than $300. Also B&H has the GH2 for 499 until 12/31

9. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    I am new to the forum. I am interested in the camera. I don't know how to send a PM. Please send me one and let me know how to send a PM.