1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What camera for astrophotography?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by PMCC, Jun 7, 2013.

1. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    One of my GAS plan is to buy a mirror-less camera, remove the IR pass filter for taking IR and astrophotography. Originally I was thinking of getting the GF3/GF5 + 14mm 2.5 for the purpose (which fits my budget of $350), but I found out the G3 is very noisy when doing long exposure at ISO 800 (no better than my old DC) :mad:

Am I better off getting one of the NEX3 with Sigma 19mm instead? :dash2:

First star field with G3 + 14-45, 14mm F3.5 40s ISO 800

Attached Files:

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Do you have the noise reduction turned on for long exposures? It might make a difference. Personally, I have not noticed a great deal of noise at ISO 800, but I don't do 40s exposures either.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    whichever model you get, just be sure that it have the live bulb mode. Takes a lot of guess work out when you can see the image developing in front of your eyes. I'd get one with a swivel screen, I love my epm2, but my neck gets a crink in it when I need to see the screen at night when it's mounted to my tripod and pointed up in the sky.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    One suggestion is to check out the cloudynights forums. They have lots of good folks over there who know astrophotography. They might have more insight. Cameras that can keep themselves cool and have low read noise are desirable.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"Astrophotography" is a big subject. I'm biased and offer this shameless self serving plug - buy an SBIG camera for astrophotography. Yes, I am affiliated with SBIG.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Canon 60da if you really getting into it

7. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    The SBIG and Canon 60Da are far too expensive. Given my budget (I don't have a car or a backyard), I am sticking to small astro trackers and normal camera systems. Also, I want to use the camera for daytime IR.