What camera bag/s

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chonbhoy, Apr 27, 2013.

1. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Any suggestions for a camera bag that will store the EM5,12,45,40-150,HLD-6 Grip,filters & batteries.
    I like the idea of fitting all of the above in a back-pack for when i go on a long trek.
    For neat storage I think ill get a flight case (or two) with the customisable foam padded insert, what do you think?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Almost every single camera backpack ever made will fit that gear with ease. There's a while thread on bags, but I suggest heading to a store and looking at/trying a few out.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I spent a great deal of time reading what others used and watched many videos. Most are using bags that are way to big for what they have. Any photo back or day pack will hold what you have. Here are the three cases I use -

Tamrac System 3 Case
    OMD w HLD6 Grip mounted with up to 4" (10 cm) long lens mounted
    Plus 6 Lens
    - 2 lenses up to 6.5" (16.5 cm) long
    - 4 lenses up to 3" (7.6 cm) long
    Room for all sorts of accessories including a FL-50R flash

Need more room, add-on Slip lock modular cases to both sides of case
    Case size - 10½ L x 9¼ W x 8 H (27 x 23 x 20 cm)

Toploader Zoom 55 AW (suitable for biking, hiking, etc. a chest harness option is available which is great for skiing with a day pack as well)

OMD w HLD6 Grip mounted with up to 3 3/4" (9.5 cm) long lens mounted
    Two lenses up to 4 1/2" (11.4 cm) in bottom of bag
    Room for all sorts of accessories including a FL-50R flash

Need more room, add-on Slip lock modular cases to both sides of case
    Case Size - 7.68 L x 6.50 W x 12.99 H (19.5x16.5 x 33 cm)

Manfrotto Bella IV
    OMD w HLD6 Grip (not the Portrait battery grip) mounted with up to 4" (10 cm) long lens mounted
    Two lenses up to 4 1/2" (11.4 cm) in bottom of bag
    Portrait battery grip or the whole HLD-6 needs to be stored next to the camera/lens on the top layer.
    Room for very few accessories; battery, a couple of filters, couple of memory cards and not much else

9" L x 5.5 W x 6.7" D (23 x 14 x 17 cm)

In all of these cases once the camera, grip, and attached lens is removed nothing is stacked. Everything is easy to take out and put back in.

4. TDP

TDP Guest

I own a lot of camera bags for different purposes, my wife has a few of her own. To be 100% honest, the most practical approach IMHO is to get a few inserts you like and just put them in bags as needed.

5. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I use the Lowepro flipside 100. Perfect fit for my system. Might be a bit small if you want to carry a backup body.

6. cr3nk

cr3nk Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2013
    Recently carried a Lowepro Photo-hatchback to Hong Kong.

Managed to fit my OM-D + Battery Grip with 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8 and the Rokinon Fisheye and all the chargers and what-nots.

The top has enough room for my iPad, books and random stuffs like an iPhone portable charger.

The hatchback might have a weird way of accessing the camera, but with the waist strap it is actually very safe and functional. Though I later bought a Lowepro Dashpoint pouch and latched in on the bag strap so I can have one lens for quick swaps.

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Right now I have the following in a Think Tank Skin Body Bag with one velcro separator:
    OM-D E-M5 (with both grip pieces attached) and the 45/1.8 mounted with hood (reversed)
    E-PL5 (w/leather half-case) and Oly 12-50 mounted
    VF-2 (loose)
    Panny 14-140 with hood in a Promaster photo pouch
    Oly 75/1.8 in a home-made neoprene pouch
    Oly 12/2.0 in a home-made neoprene pouch
    15/8 body cap lens loose

I have a Think Tank harness arranged to employ the Skin Body bag (expanded) as a back pack, and when I get to where I want to start hiking, I take the OM-D out and hang it around my neck, leaving the balance of the equipment in the bag. The only thing I am not able to carry with me in this configuration is my 100-300 and a tripod. (When I need the reach or stability I use my Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW backpack.)

8. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Same here, really. The insert for the crumpler bag gets popped into whatever bag is most useful. I rarely only want to carry the camera around, so a lot of photo bags are suboptimal to say the least.

9. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    I just have an Op/Tech neoprene pouch to cover the camera while it sits inside any old backpack. So far so good... and that way I'm also not advertising to the world that I'm carrying more than a few dollars worth of camera gear.

10. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
  11. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Lots to think about. I like the idea of not advertising. I want something that can carry a tripod but I might need to get a separate bag for that and I suppose I'll need to get two bags, one for when I use a mountain bike & pack a mini tripod. Unfortunately I don't have any shops that sell this kind of gear nearby so I have to order it online.
    Thanks all ill use this info when I'm deciding.

12. HeyItsJoel

HeyItsJoel New to Mu-43

May 7, 2013
    Leaving for Europe this weekend.

Need a quick recommendation for a bag that can carry:

1. Macbook Air 13"
    2. OM-D
    3. 12-50mm
    4. 9-18mm
    5. 20mm 1.7
    6. Accessories
    7. Gorillapod

Help!

13. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Given you're leaving this weekend: go to a retail store with you macbook and test fit. There aren't a lot of bags that will carry the macbook 13" and the above without a stupid amount of extra free space - what you've got there is essentially my travel kit (including the same laptop), which I fit into a cheap backpack with a neoprene case for the mac and an insert from a crumpler shoulder bag (an Fstop insert would do as well, I guess) taking up half the main compartment for the bag, leaving the other half for a book and sundry items.

14. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Sometimes it's better to distribute weight among two bags. A small camera bag and a thin laptop sleeve with handle and shoulder strap.

15. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I would recommend the ThinkTank CityWalker 20 if you want a shoulder bag. I think it's the smallest bag that can hold a 13" laptop. I have one and it holds my 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina) in front of the camera insert. As I've stated previously on this forum, I like this position better for the laptop so it isn't resting against your body when carrying.

16. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I settled on the Pro Runner 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases because it's small and has enough dividers for compartmentalising, I've managed to pack all of below into it with space to spare.

EM5 with HLD6 attached (both parts) + O12mm attached
    O40-150
    O12-50
    O45
    Hitech Formatt 85 Holder + 6 Filter wallet & step up rings
    Flash/beanbag POD/
    Assorted filters/3 batteries
    bits and bobs

My tripod has it's own shoulder bag and I don't need to carry my laptop.