What brand memory card do you recommend for Olympus OMD E-M10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by keyesaz, Nov 11, 2014.

1. keyesaz

keyesaz New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    New to camera as of 2 days ago? Got Scan Disk as first card - back up?

2. lawrenjp

lawrenjp Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I just use a Class 10 San Disk as well, 16GB. Just make sure it's fast enough for your needs.

3. keyesaz

keyesaz New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks i got the 32GB was thinking of adding a Sony 64GB SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card (SF64UX/TQN) in addition.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like the PNY Elite series, much faster than Sony.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've been using SanDisk cards for over 10 years, never an issue. I am very faithful to them...I go on once-in-a-lifetime trips all the time armed with nothing but SanDisk cards.

With that said, I've never had an issue with any cards, except my Kingston CF cards, which all failed and my Kingston SD card which thinks is in "locked" mode, even though the switch is clearly not in locked mode (it gives me "locked" messages in both positions, thus restricting a lot of things I can do with that card). I'm going to be staying away from that brand of flash memory to be safe.

Other cards I've used extensively (I used to shoot professionally) without issues: Lexar and Transcend with PNYs for backup.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sandisk Extremes 8 / 16 / 32 gb anything from 40 MB/s - 95 MB/s

7. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I've been using Lexar Pro UHS1 600x cards for a while and they've been really good for me. I had several Sandisk Extreme Pros die on me as well as a bunch of other brands with various issues. If you're going for budget, those Transcend cards are pretty cheap and not bad if you're using them short term or going to lose them.

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    SanDisk Extreme pro 95mb/s, 32 GB in the EM1
    SanDisk Extreme pro 45mb/s, 16 GB in the EPM2 and as a backup.

9. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    Nothing like starting a potentially heated thread.
    I had bad experiences with PNY high end cards.
    Not sure if really matters as long it has a lifetime guarantee or one longer than 5 years (because in 5 years I am sure your SD card will be considered a dinosaur. I sold all my 8GB or smaller and only have 16 & 32 at this point.)

My suggestion is a 16-32GB card since it should be plenty of storage. No lower than class 10. I think 64GB+ is a waste of money at this point unless you get it at a great price per GB compared to other smaller sizes.

10. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim

+1

Extreme is just fine, no need for extreme pro for most shooters. Do you shoot raw, jpeg or both? Get 32GB if raw, 16GB if jpeg, will give over 1,000 photos per card.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    never had a card fail on me in 15 years of digital photography. not something to fret over...buy a good brand and you will be fine

K

12. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have a Sandisk 8GB 95MB/S and a 16GB 45MB/S and a few slow backups (8/32/64GB), none has ever failed on me.

I'm really curious why even larger capacity is needed if only for stills? I can hardly fill in 4GB in one day

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've had two Sandisks die on me - it happens, even to the best brands. They're still my go-to for top performance and reliability.

As far as capacity goes, my A77 II creates RAW+JPEG at 32 MB per photo. On a 4 GB card that's 120ish shots; I can blow through that casually in an hour. It's even worse if I haven't copied the files off from a previous session. If I'm bursting, which I do for motorsports, we're talking about 3000+ shots in a session. And then there's the GH4, which cheerily records 4k video at about 1 GB per minute of footage. So yeah, pretty large cards are the norm for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Thanks Promit, that's interesting to know.
    I've only got the G5 and EPL5 and I'm planning to upgrade to the EM1 since neither body I own now does really good with burst / fast buffer clearing, so my shooting style has always been avoiding bursts, I must have missed a lot.

one thing I love about Oly, their orf files require less space than other raw formats.

15. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I can't speak for the OP, but for myself, I have three 32GB cards for travelling (plus a couple of backups/lenders in case people forget their cards, theirs fill up, etc)...it's mainly because 1: They weigh nothing and take up no room...it makes me happy to know that I'm prepared for anything memory-wise. 2: I often don't get on a computer for a week or two while travelling to back up my photos (I usually carry a 64GB USB flash drive as well to duplicate photos onto, but I don't carry a computer of any sort). 3: I mainly shoot stills, but it's good to know that if anything happens, I can record vast amounts of HD video. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    The company I have been training with use lots of SD cards and had their first ever Sandisk failure in over 200 cards - still got all but one image off the card and a replacement one supplied without quibble.

On my EM-5, possibly because I was shooting RAW and JPEG, you do get a difference in performance between the 45M and 95M versions (but on my wife G5 and daughters EPL-3 there was no difference).

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We use 64GB Lexar class 10 cards. Higher speed cards mean less time needed to write from the buffer to card and also faster dumps from the card to my Mac. 0ur next cards will be 128GB as we shoot wildlife with high speed frame rates.

18. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I like SanDisk, but have used a variety of other brands - PNY, Lexar, Fuji, Sony, Transcend, etc. - and have only seen physical failures on a couple such as cracked case or broken lock switch after many years of use.

For an E-M5, you will see some benefit from faster cards (up to 95 mb/s at least) but previous generation Panasonics don't seem to improve beyond 30 mb/s...