what body to buy ? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emofunster, Jun 20, 2014.

1. emofunster

emofunster New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    hello everyone!

I'm going on a trip to india for a couple of months, and i figured its a good time to upgrade to mirrorless from Nikon Dx.
    i currently have a D90 with couple of lenses : 80-200,17-55 and a prime 50mm
    (because of camera and gear weight, and IQ )

i was looking at the main three , em1,em5 and the em10.

so i need an advice , which of the three to pick? of course budget is a big factor, looking for the best bang for the buck solution,
    also i will be happy for a tip for what lens i should buy for the starting experience with the camera, the nikon 17-55 produced nice IQ , but i think the body was a bit "tired"

thank you very much guys!
  2. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Wow, upgrade from Nikon DX to mirrorless. That's the talk I like, a lot :)

The question itself is quite difficult. It depends on such a variety of factors, but let me try.

If you like shooting with wide aperture in daylight, and don't want to hazzle with ND filters, then E-M1 is for you, 1/8000s shutter speed.
    If you prefer classic beauty in camera, like myself, then E-M10 or 5 is better looking, IMHO
    E-M10 is more snappier, faster processor, little bit better button layout and touch of those, than E-M5. E-M1 has even more features and bells and whistles to configure. It's a real PRO body.
    So, as you see one can go forever with different aspects, but considering where you're coming from, I believe E-M1 is for you. And second guess is E-M10, if you're looking smaller size and more classic aesthetics.

I'm sure this didn't help a bit :)
  3. emofunster

emofunster New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    quite the opposite , you did help me! hehe
    another thing, what lens would you recommend for the trip ? (and for a first lens in general)
  4. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Have you considered any Panasonic models? The GX7 is nice to use and has a silent shutter.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The kit lenses will cover the same rough FoV as your 18-55, so unless you think you need a constant 2.8 zoom, that would be the equivalent version. The Pana 25 is well regarded, and the Oly 25 just got released, but has great reviews as well. Any of the 40-150 zooms will replace the 80-200 you have.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Are you considering Panasonic too? Their bodies can't be totally overlooked, and the user experience is less confusing for someone moving from Nikon in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    If I was buying a small body for a trip I would get a gx7 for it's size and low profile in public.
  8. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    recent purchaser of EM10 here (from GF1), so far I love it. the IBIS is amazing and I love the classic look, dual dials, EVF, etc.
  9. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    I moved from a Canon 5D & 7D with some L glass to a E-M10 for a smaller/lighter kit and love the change. I can't comment on any of the others listed since I have no hands on with them, but the M10 is great.
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I would go with an EM10 if weather sealing is not a requirement. If it is, then I would look at getting a used EM5.

Lens choice, looks like you like the zooms. You should be able to get along with an Oly 12-50/4-6.3(weather sealed) and the 40-150/4-5.6(not WS).

Then if you want a prime for low light shooting, I'd give serious consideration to the Olympus 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. Both can be found used for a decent price. You might also want to consider the Panasonic 14/2.8.

Trying to think of the best bang for the buck. I think these recommendations will get you there.
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    If I had the cash for a new body I'd go for the E-P5, but I don't need an EVF and I love the classic styling. I also love having IBIS.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I personally don't care that much of zoom lenses, but I've read so much praises on Oly 12-40 2.8 that I might get along just with this one lens. Not really a budget solution E-M1 w 12-40 2.8 but should be familiar, kind of, for Nikon user and answer well for expectations.

For one and only prime my vote goes for Pana 25 1.4, Oly 17 1.8, Oly 25 1.8 and Oly 45 1.8 in this order. 45 1.8 is sweet IMO, but it might be too tight for general purposes for someone's taste. Mine is almost clued on my E-M10, though. (Disclaimer: I've not shot with Pana 25, I only trust on sample images :) )
  13. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Definitely vote for E-P5 w VF4 if form factor is not a problem.

5 axis IBIS and 1/8000 s shutter speed in same package with sweet look and good controls. No weather sealing though, and I don't feel good using it in bad weather. Afraid of losing this beauty :)
  14. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    I love my Panasonic GX7 with the 20mm 1.7 lens.

What I like:

Silent shutter, 1/8000, built in rotating view finder, good stabilization, low profile, awesome street camera, wifi, nice controls, good feel in my hands. Not too big and not to small, acceptable noise up to 3200 iso, built in panorama feature, excellent IQ, love the focus peek and magnify view with my nikon lenses.

What I don't like:
    I love the camera, but none is perfect. These are little things that bug me but not a deal breaker.
    I would like a separate side door for the card. not great battery life. I have three, I keep 2 on me, and one at home charging. not the best layout for the strap. The left lug is more towards the front of the camera giving it an unbalanced feel when wearing. Weather seal would be nice.

Just through my experience. I'm sure the Oly's are good too.
  15. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you are in the UK Panasonic have a nice deal on the GH3; they will send you a grip and a 25mm 1.4 for £750 it looks a decent deal given the cost of a new 25mm.
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    E-M10 plus the grip, unless you want to spring for E-M1, simple, next question. Lenses? See below.

This is actually the REAL hard part, Cruzan. Unless he made a typo the 17-55 and not 18-55 + the 80-200 are both constant f2.8 zooms. The difference between a 17-55 and the 18-55 is like the M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R and M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO, night and day.

If you want to keep the same quality in zooms you have two options to replace your 17-55 and only one for the 80-200. The above mentioned Olympus 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8. It will not give you all of the 300mm FOV you're getting from D90 + 80-200. But either combo plus the E-M10 combined will be lighter than the 80-200 is alone, and noticeably so.

Primes? Well I'm not really a prime shooter much so I'll let others give you recommendations for that.

The E-M10 has the same 1/4000 and flash sync as the D90 so if you don't find yourself limited now then you won't be with the E-M10. I like the E-M10 with and without the grip. Without for quick pics and for it's smaller size. With the grip is nice for longer outings.

Two disclaimers:
    I've owned the D90. 17-55 f2.8, and 80-200 f2.8 (actually 3 copies of it. :redface: ) Loved all the lenses, the D90 is probably the only camera body I have never really missed, sorry, but not at all.

I shoot an E-P5 and decided against the E-M10 personally. But mainly because I didn't want a fixed viewfinder, I wanted a smaller form factor, and I have other stuff for shooting when I need a viewfinder. Also my experience with the E-M10 is limited to a LOT of research and I purchased one for my sister-in- law. I'm waiting for her to come get it so I've had about a week to run it through it's paces. Very nice and if I wanted a viewfinder I'd buy one in a heart beat, with the grip.
  17. Rickf

Rickf Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2014
    I came from a Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit, 70-300 and 35/1.8. I recently got the EM10 (plus grip) with 14-42 EZ, 75-300, 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. With the grip I really like the handling of the EM10 and I have so much more flexibility and control over my picture taking. I like all the lenses I got but the 45/1.8 has been the most satisfying in the short time I've owned them. I considered the EM5 but the only real advantage over the 10 was weather sealing. The 10 on the hand had some updated capabilities in other areas (wifi, image processor and improved button feel) so I'm happy with the body choice. My overall take on moving to mu4/3 is that I have some fantastic lenses, much improved control over the camera settings (compared to what I had) and a very compact, lightweight system. You have several good options to choose from.

18. emofunster

emofunster New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Thank you for the informative reply :)!
  19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Whatever you decide do consider buying the body used in case you change your mind.
  20. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I went from a D300 to the E-M1 and the 12-40 2.8 lens. It is better in almost every way, excellent photos.
    If you can afford it, this is a great place to start with M43.