1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What body or system should I get next? Pany? Oly? Used? Wait for shiny new....

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by finerflower, Jul 14, 2014.

1. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I currently have a Panasonic G6. I like the camera. images etc. however, I am looking for some thing a bit more portable. I also want to get an Oly so I can have a bit of experience from each M43 manufacturer.

My main complaint is that there arent a ton of users out there with the G6. I want something popular, with a lot of users who can share details with me. Is the Oly E-PL5 calling out to me? Do I wait for the PL7? Who will play nice in the sandbox with what I already have?

My current kit:

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G6
    Pany Prime 20MM F1.7 II (pancake)
    Pany Kit Lens 14-42
    Pany Kit Lens 45-140
    Rokinon 7.5MM UMC Fisheye

Question,

#1 Which compact system should I buy to compliment what I already have? I want a smaller rig to carry in my purse. Something that will take well to my pancake. I also am leaning towards Oly just to get a taste of both worlds but am open.

#2 I really like the E-PL5 (I can got a lot of used deals on ebay). I dont think that I will like the E-PM2 for $299.95 right now on Amazon, however, I like physical controls (and the price!). Hmmm.. What to do?

#3 Do I just wait for the new releases.

I have birthday cash searing a big hole in my pocket. But I can be patient. I really need advice!!

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you want portable and you want an Olympus camera (and don't want to give up anything with regard to image quality) I would argue the E-PM2 or the E-PL5 are your only options. From what I've read the IBIS in these cameras is mediocre at best so I wouldn't go in expecting great things from that (the reason I mention this is that IBIS the primary differentiation between what the two manufacturers offer).

• Like Like x 1
  3. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    ..so I cant overide the image stabilization in the oly cam to default to the pany lens?

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You can turn off the IBIS and let your Pany lenses do IS for you.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    - actually you can - there is setting specifically for that: priority to use OIS first, then IBIS if OIS is not available or turned off. Or you can disable IBIS altogether.

As for new body - I would wait what Olympus has to offer next and it should be soon - like before Photokina this Sept.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    You can, but you mentioned you wanted to use it with the 20mm pancake which doesn't have stabilization.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I haven't checked used prices, but would a used E-M10 be within your budget if you sold the G6? From the specs it is about the same weight as your G6 but slimmer, you'd have better IBIS, and you'd still have a viewfinder. I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference to make it more portable though. If you don't need the viewfinder and want even smaller then I'd vote for the E-PL5 or wait to see what the new model has to offer (and at what price).

• Like Like x 1
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    finerflower, what does "more portable" mean to you? I'd consider the E-P5 as an option. It is shorter and less deep than the G6, probably about the same width. You lose the DSLR-look of the G6 for sure though, if that matters.

Portable to me means something like the E-PM2 or GM1 with the 20/1.7 or 14/2.5. If my portable camera gets much bigger than that I'm fine with the E-P5 instead.

• Like Like x 1
  9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    My advice? Panasonic GM1. Great little camera, smaller by a decent margin when compared with the EPM2. Would pair nicely with a pancake. My favorite combo is to pair it with the P20.

10. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The key word here as mentioned by budeny above is priority. Leave the IS on, set "Lens IS Priority" to on in the Gears > C menu and the camera will use OIS when a suitable lens is fitted and IBIS when the lens has no OIS. Neat :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Yes- I am leaning towards the new gear...

12. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Yes- Thanks, I thought there was an option like that. I was worried about having to fiddle around with settings every time I changed a lens. This would solve the issue.

13. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Thanks. I will check it out!

14. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    More portable means that I want something way smaller than the G6. Point and shoot look is ok by me. I have small hands so smaller is better.

15. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    The E-PL5 with P 20 f1.7 or O 17 f2.8 is a beautiful, pocketable, instinctive little tool which is capable of recording superb images. For the days when you just might need a little more, you can stick an alternative lens in your pocket together with an EVF.

David

• Like Like x 1
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Sounds like GM1 or EPM2 territory, or maybe even Sony RX100m3 (or earlier versions). Maybe it would make sense to get a really small camera to supplement the G6 kit. That is the slippery slope we will lead you to around here...

17. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I think the GM1 would be a good idea since it will offer you a nice lightweight option.
    I usually mount my 20mm onto my GM1 but I've been more than happy with the results from the 12-32mm kit lens as well.
    I've had no problems hand holding the 45-150mm with it.
    I like that the shutter is very quiet.

The main problem I have with the GM1 is the lack of flash options. There is no hot shoe and the built in flash will only sync at 1/50.

If the lack of EVF option is a problem, maybe you could consider the new rx100m3.

18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You can only go so small with an Olympus m4/3rd's body, and that would be an E-PM2 or an E-PL5. And, neither of these cameras has an EVF. If you can live without the EVF, then these are your two options, but they do stretch the definition of pocketable (jacket cargo or large hand pocket yes, shirt/pant pocket no). I owned and E-PL5 with an EVF, and was happy to make the move to an E-M5. It is not much bigger when you put the EVF on the E-PL5, and neither really fit into my jacket chest pocket like my Ricoh GR (which is now my carry all). and the E-M5 is a lot easier to handle as it has two control wheels which I prefer.

Good luck,

--Ken

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm just making a minor point here. The E-PL7 is supposed to have the same three axes IBIS as the EM10, which is reported to be much better than the current 2 axes version. Coupled with WiFi and the better processing engine, it might be worth the wait and the extra money.

• Like Like x 1
  20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The EM-10 is smaller than you might think. Small enough that I decided against considering it as a replacement for my GX1 - the size might be similar but it's dense and function-heavy.

Of course, the EM-10 is far from the smallest M4/3 model. Still, it's a capable workhorse.