1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What battery power option for a video rig?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by thercman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    So with the rig in hand (pardon the pun) I need to figure out the best way to power everything on it. This would include a monitor or EVF, my recorder and lighting. The option that seems most efficient would be a v mount style battery with a distribution plate. However these things are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for powering a rig in a streamlined fashion? I have been tossing around the idea of using RC car batteries and switching the connector to match the plate.... Any thoughts?

2. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I found a dual Sony NP-F battery frame on eBay that I've been using on my current handheld rig. I kinda' wish it had a locking feature like the Sony NP-F battery plate from F&V. Still, it works nicely and provides 5v, 7.2v, and 12v. You can see a recent implementation of my handheld rig in my YouTube video. I'm actually due to update my channel with another video because I just upgraded my GH2 with a battery grip that doubles the capacity of the stock body. It also allows for external power. It's not a single, central power source but it's about as close as I can get with a GH2 (very picky about external power). I may in the future explore the idea of stepping down 12v to 9v to see if I can get away with powering my GH2 from the same dual battery plate but I have bigger fish to fry right now!

3. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    I just finished watching your video. That is an interesting configuration you have going there. :) I cheated and bought a rig. It cost much less than trying to piece one together. So for battery options. I have been trying to figure out if using say the Canon batteries to run my accessories would be a hassle or not. I have been lookng at this set up http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQM15O4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2S16KMIOO0D1P It is $400 which is a big chunk of change to shell out for a battery. (add 300% to the cost by stamping "for video applications" on it) I am thinking that RC car batteries at 14.8v would work great. They can be charged in an hour or so with chargers I already have that can operate off 120vac or 12vdc which makes them ideal for field use.

4. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
  5. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Actually I'm considering a V-mount system for my bulldog over-the-shoulder rig (my next project). Considering it includes the battery, $400 may not be too bad --especially when it can regulate the various voltages you may need. If it offered 9v I'd say it was perfect for me! It also makes a fantastic counterweight when mounting over your shoulder. I suppose it depends on how good you are with electronics because you're going to have to step down the 14v hobby battery to whatever you need and keep it fairly steady (can't quite do that with a simple resistor). I think Mouser has DC-DC converters you could use...

I'm actually getting rid of the dual Sony battery tray I now have and opting for 2 of the F&V single battery plates since I'm really just powering the ring light and field monitor. The weight of the metal plate and the lack of a locking mechanism is really getting to me. Keep us all posted! Maybe you have the beginnings of a new product for us all!!

6. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    So I ended up ordering the "Lanparte V-mount battery splitter Power Supply pinch HDMI+8800mAh 130Wh Battery". More than I wanted to pay really but it saved me from having to build something. The cool thing is that it will run the monitor, my recorder and any led light I may pick up. It is also going to add a few pounds of counter weight to my rig which is needed. Once it shows up I'll comment on it.... (it is coming from China so It may be a couple weeks)