What bags do you use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mootxico, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    I'm in the market for a bag for my E-PL7 (with kit lens + 25mm 1.8 prime). I wonder what bags I should get to carry them around with.

I'm currently using a cheap bag that came free with the camera. It's kinda small (the camera + 1 extra prime lens + 1 extra battery completely fills the space) and has no compartment, and I worry my lens will knock against each other when carrying them and maybe cause damage in the long run.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Find a felt pouch or a neoprene beer cozy for the second lens.

Barry

3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    retrospective 7. holds a bunch of lenses, 2 bodies (can hold more)... but perhaps best of all, a macbook air 11" can fit in the back. its my carry-on item.

built is super sturdy and quality. its not perfect, but it'll do.

you can get away with the retrospective 3 or 5.

4. mkallstrom

mkallstrom Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 3, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Magnus
    I have a Billingham Hadley Small for my m43 kit which I'm very happy with (although a bit pricey):
    15579281427_dc137e8fc2_o.

Billingham Hadley Small (Sage/Tan)
    by Magnus Källström, on Flickr

I have a few more photos of it here. I really like that you can use horizontal dividers to store two lenses seperated from each other in the same side compartment. For your gear I guess a Hadley Digital would be enough if you think the small is too big.

• Like Like x 2
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    mootxico, check out this thread on bags: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=593

If that doesn't help completely you should least be able to narrow it down to a messenger bag or backpack or traditional camera bag and then go from there.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    mootxico, check out this thread on bags: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=593

If that doesn't help completely you should least be able to narrow it down to a messenger bag or backpack or traditional camera bag and then go from there.

I have a Tamrac 3440, which is about the smallest bag I could find that held a one body/two lens set up like you have, with an additional zipper pocket for accessories: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840842-REG/Tamrac_344001_Rally_40_Micro_Camera.html. Not quite as stylish or expensive as the Hadley or ThinkTank options.

IMG_238183.

7. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    There are MANY choices, ranging in price from maybe $30 to hundreds of dollars. As Demiro suggests, you should think about what (if anything) you want to carry in the bag aside from the camera gear. Some people just want a camera bag, and some like to have one bag that carries camera gear, water bottle, sunglasses, an iPad/tablet, etc. For just the gear, a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 would probably do, while a MM20 would give a bit more space for one more lens or other "stuff". Think Tank gear is well made and well designed. Domke F-5XB is a popular choice (although I've had to silence the annoying velcro on mine). Domke bags are well made and the canvas and ruggedwear look different than a traditional bag. Billingham bags (Hadley Digital or Small) are expensive but REALLY well made. Many LOVE the look; some find it too "fashionable". Check out the Ona Bowery for another fashionable bag. At the lower-priced end are Tamrac and Lowepro bags, and some people just buy a padded camera insert and use it in a messenger bag.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Love the cozy idea!

9. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Right now I'm using a (very) large Timbuk2 with a Dome insert for my m4/3 kit of two bodies, 4 lenses, 2 flash units, and various filters and all that jazz. It's serves my purpose, but it's getting cramped and I'm starting to look for a new option myself. Maybe more protective compartments might work...

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I second the Billingham bag route it will last for near forever and the closures are near silent I use the Hadley Pro.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And someone posted in another thread that they use baby socks.

Barry

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I also have this Tamrac, and for a small kit like the OPs, it has just the right amount of space, and it's well built, and the price is right.

I then bought a Domke 5-XB after I added the 35-100 and 14-150 to my lens collection, and I want to take one of those zooms with my GX7, and add 2 primes.

http://thirtyfivemill.com/reviews/domke-f-5xb-rugged-wear-shoulder-bag/

I then added a Domke F6 for days when I want to take two bodies, several lenses and a flash.

http://www.thewsreviews.com/2008/10/domke-f-6-little-bit-smaller-camera-bag_15.html

And that's just for my m43 cameras.

So if you're like most of us, there's never a "perfect" bag, and it's just a matter of time before you accumulate a closet full.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    I also have a Hadley Pro. Love it. The small would likely be good, but I like having a bit of extra space to carry other items.

14. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    +1 on the Think Tank Retrpspective 7. Very well made and can hold a pretty large kit.

15. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  17. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
  18. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Lowepro Apex 140 for a camera + 2-3 lens
    Lowepro Nova 140 for camera+ 2-3 lens, flash, filters, water bottle

Just bought a Lowepro Rezo 170 to hold the em1 with 40-150 pro, 12-40 pro, flash, bcl 9, filters and still be narrow enough to go into a back pack.

The bag collection keeps growing!!!!

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't use a special bag, just the backpack I use every day for everything, books, laptop, papers, drinks, shopping, etc.

When I take my camera I use a form-fitting dSLR case for the camera and one lens, and lens pouches for any lenses I take with me:

$T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0uigBQL!Lh5bbg~~60_35.JPG

[​IMG]

20. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have used many bags over the years but always come back to my Domke satchel bags like the F-803. I also will carry my GX7, 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 in a Domke F-5XB. It makes for a nice compact kit. I have at least 4 of the Domke satchels made of cotton canvas. What I like the best about is that the bags are very comfortable. A couple of them are around 8 years old and have aged rather nicely. Whenever they are a bit dirty I remove the padded inserts and toss the bag into the washing machine. then let the bag air dry. The canvas tends to shrug off light rain. I occasionally treat the bags with a bit of spray on waterproofing. The bags do not "announce" that they contain camera gear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.