What bags do you use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mootxico, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    I'm in the market for a bag for my E-PL7 (with kit lens + 25mm 1.8 prime). I wonder what bags I should get to carry them around with.

I'm currently using a cheap bag that came free with the camera. It's kinda small (the camera + 1 extra prime lens + 1 extra battery completely fills the space) and has no compartment, and I worry my lens will knock against each other when carrying them and maybe cause damage in the long run.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Find a felt pouch or a neoprene beer cozy for the second lens.

Barry

3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    retrospective 7. holds a bunch of lenses, 2 bodies (can hold more)... but perhaps best of all, a macbook air 11" can fit in the back. its my carry-on item.

built is super sturdy and quality. its not perfect, but it'll do.

you can get away with the retrospective 3 or 5.

4. mkallstrom

mkallstrom Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Magnus
    I have a Billingham Hadley Small for my m43 kit which I'm very happy with (although a bit pricey):
    15579281427_dc137e8fc2_o.

Billingham Hadley Small (Sage/Tan)
    by Magnus Källström, on Flickr

I have a few more photos of it here. I really like that you can use horizontal dividers to store two lenses seperated from each other in the same side compartment. For your gear I guess a Hadley Digital would be enough if you think the small is too big.

• Like Like x 2
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    mootxico, check out this thread on bags: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=593

If that doesn't help completely you should least be able to narrow it down to a messenger bag or backpack or traditional camera bag and then go from there.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    mootxico, check out this thread on bags: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=593

If that doesn't help completely you should least be able to narrow it down to a messenger bag or backpack or traditional camera bag and then go from there.

I have a Tamrac 3440, which is about the smallest bag I could find that held a one body/two lens set up like you have, with an additional zipper pocket for accessories: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840842-REG/Tamrac_344001_Rally_40_Micro_Camera.html. Not quite as stylish or expensive as the Hadley or ThinkTank options.

IMG_238183.

7. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    There are MANY choices, ranging in price from maybe $30 to hundreds of dollars. As Demiro suggests, you should think about what (if anything) you want to carry in the bag aside from the camera gear. Some people just want a camera bag, and some like to have one bag that carries camera gear, water bottle, sunglasses, an iPad/tablet, etc. For just the gear, a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 would probably do, while a MM20 would give a bit more space for one more lens or other "stuff". Think Tank gear is well made and well designed. Domke F-5XB is a popular choice (although I've had to silence the annoying velcro on mine). Domke bags are well made and the canvas and ruggedwear look different than a traditional bag. Billingham bags (Hadley Digital or Small) are expensive but REALLY well made. Many LOVE the look; some find it too "fashionable". Check out the Ona Bowery for another fashionable bag. At the lower-priced end are Tamrac and Lowepro bags, and some people just buy a padded camera insert and use it in a messenger bag.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Love the cozy idea!

9. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Right now I'm using a (very) large Timbuk2 with a Dome insert for my m4/3 kit of two bodies, 4 lenses, 2 flash units, and various filters and all that jazz. It's serves my purpose, but it's getting cramped and I'm starting to look for a new option myself. Maybe more protective compartments might work...

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I second the Billingham bag route it will last for near forever and the closures are near silent I use the Hadley Pro.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And someone posted in another thread that they use baby socks.

Barry

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I also have this Tamrac, and for a small kit like the OPs, it has just the right amount of space, and it's well built, and the price is right.

I then bought a Domke 5-XB after I added the 35-100 and 14-150 to my lens collection, and I want to take one of those zooms with my GX7, and add 2 primes.

http://thirtyfivemill.com/reviews/domke-f-5xb-rugged-wear-shoulder-bag/

I then added a Domke F6 for days when I want to take two bodies, several lenses and a flash.

http://www.thewsreviews.com/2008/10/domke-f-6-little-bit-smaller-camera-bag_15.html

And that's just for my m43 cameras.

So if you're like most of us, there's never a "perfect" bag, and it's just a matter of time before you accumulate a closet full.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    I also have a Hadley Pro. Love it. The small would likely be good, but I like having a bit of extra space to carry other items.

14. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    +1 on the Think Tank Retrpspective 7. Very well made and can hold a pretty large kit.

15. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  17. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
  18. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Lowepro Apex 140 for a camera + 2-3 lens
    Lowepro Nova 140 for camera+ 2-3 lens, flash, filters, water bottle

Just bought a Lowepro Rezo 170 to hold the em1 with 40-150 pro, 12-40 pro, flash, bcl 9, filters and still be narrow enough to go into a back pack.

The bag collection keeps growing!!!!

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't use a special bag, just the backpack I use every day for everything, books, laptop, papers, drinks, shopping, etc.

When I take my camera I use a form-fitting dSLR case for the camera and one lens, and lens pouches for any lenses I take with me:

$T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0uigBQL!Lh5bbg~~60_35.JPG

[​IMG]

20. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have used many bags over the years but always come back to my Domke satchel bags like the F-803. I also will carry my GX7, 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 in a Domke F-5XB. It makes for a nice compact kit. I have at least 4 of the Domke satchels made of cotton canvas. What I like the best about is that the bags are very comfortable. A couple of them are around 8 years old and have aged rather nicely. Whenever they are a bit dirty I remove the padded inserts and toss the bag into the washing machine. then let the bag air dry. The canvas tends to shrug off light rain. I occasionally treat the bags with a bit of spray on waterproofing. The bags do not "announce" that they contain camera gear.