What bag to carry a camera on a bike?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Looking for a recommendation for a bag to mount on a bike. I'm thinking handlebars or center bar for accessibility. Just planning on one body and a smaller lens like the P12-60.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Looking for a recommendation for a bag to mount on a bike. I'm thinking handlebars or center bar for accessibility. Just planning on one body and a smaller lens like the P12-60.
I'd always recommend a good handlebar bag to carry cameras etc.
It does depend on what type of bike you are riding and handlebar type (drops, flat, butterfly etc).
Most decent bags come with a Rixen & Kaul bracket that fits onto the bars and the bag has fittings which lock onto the bracket and are detachable for when you go walkabout (ha) for taking photos or popping into your favourite cafe.
Some have padded camera inserts or you can make your own from foam or bubble wrap etc.
I'm not sure what brand are available in the USA but here in Europe the most popular are Ortlieb, Altura and Gilles Berthoud.

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
My bike has a rear rack with a mounted bag loaded with tools, tubes, small pump, etc. so I
just use that. So it won't get dinged up I put the camera into an Optech "body cover" pouch that is tethered to the tripod socket. They come in different sizes, the one I have will fit my E-M10 with a prime or collapsible zoom but not a longer zoom like the 12-50. You'll need to measure the 12-60 to see which one to get.

I use a fanny pack when cycling if I'm carrying more gear or using a borrowed bike with no rack or bags, in particular the Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney. It fits the E-M10 with any lens up to the 75-300, plus a second lens, filters, spare battery with room to spare...I've gone on bike tours with my wallet, passport, map and some snack bars inside. The bag is multi-purpose, you can remove the belt and attach a shoulder strap and there's a built-in rain cover which I have used in heavy rains. I also use it when hiking.

Good luck with your search.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
This will be an old-man-riding-around-town-on-paved-streets-and-paths-with-a-damn-big-soft-seat bike. I'm moving my exercise outdoors.

Real Name
Chris
I like the flip side backpacks. The bike can hit some harsh bumps occasionally and if connected only to you, the seat and your body can dampen the bumps.

I ride with one of these and have toured in Europe a little with this setup. I can stop the bike, swing the bag around (belt around waist stays on) and it lays on my handle bars with the back (zipper panel) up. Easy to pull things out, change lens if necessary, etc. and take a photo. Plus there is a little room for food. Can't get good exercise without eating something. :)

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I would use one of the belt-mounted camera clips and a glide-style sling strap. No bag at all.
I thought about this after seeing your post, but I want some protection in case of a fall. In a bag on the center bar or handlebars it'd have a chance. On my belt, it'd be toast. I don't need instant access, just easy access.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
In these times.
9E9B6A1A-CE5C-4253-8F33-BFF74F41AFFA.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

I am using an Andrew the Maker Camera Sack on my Salsa Mukluk fatbike which I use for bikepacking. Has worked well for me so far.

40446885240_c77d18c115_h.jpg

ATM Camera Shack - 003 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

41529774974_22dd2219b5_h.jpg

ATM Camera Shack - 002 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

40433768680_3a793f1523_h.jpg

ATM Camera Shack - 001 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Like others mentioned, I prefer to carry the camera on my body so that I act as a vibration and shock dampener. I have one of these sling bags that can also be used as a handlebar bag:

1586351309990.png

https://www.unsettleco.com/products/rush-hour-sling-bag

It's a nice sling and a decent handlebar bag too. No quick release function though, just velcro straps.

haunted scrap heap
I have one of these sling bags that can also be used as a handlebar bag:
That looks to be exactly the form factor I'm looking for... how are the latches/buckles? Given them much wear and tear or shock testing? :D

John M Flores

Super Moderator
That looks to be exactly the form factor I'm looking for... how are the latches/buckles? Given them much wear and tear or shock testing? :D

Have only had it a couple of months but it's holding up well as mostly a sling bag. The Fidlock latch system is a neat trick and doesn't accidentally unlatch. The one negative as a handlebar bag is the way it hangs from the bars is not really conducive to accessing while riding. You typically have to stop.

I go with the sling bag method, and settled on ThinkTank.
The TurnStyle 5 is small-ish and can handle the camera and lens you mentioned.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/turnstyle/products/turnstyle-5-v2

For longer a longer journey I use the bigger TurnStyle 20 like when I don't know what lens, or when i just want to be safe and take a prime and the Oly 12-100 mounted. Here is the link for all 3 sizes...
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/turnstyle

If you are not riding a true road bike, then sling bag is an easy way to go, as you don't have to remove the bag, or remove the gear when you get off the bike for a fluid break or other. Bag is on you so it goes too. On a road bike you are bent over a lot more so a bike mounted bag makes more sense. Backpack is more symmetrical, but the TT TurnStyle doesn't flop to one side and cause issues unless you are serious mountain biking where you and a bag and bounce around and weight shifts. It works for me anyway.

They can be slung, or belt like mounted and easily rotate around to the front (without removing anything) to get access. Maybe a bit pricey, but even the big one is under $100 US, and they are not cheap. Solid bags from a good company...

Quit reading if you don't like visual horror stories...
Years ago when my front wheel decided to go in a crack on a paved path, and lodge itself in there, as in, right now, when I was going maybe 20mph, the front of the bike stopped, the rear with me came up and over, I unclipped one leg in time, and over the bars I went, landed on my face and one wrist. Had a deep gash right above my eye, right below my helmet, skin removed from my wrist and a thumb, the side of one leg was not pretty... but the ThinkTank bag suffered no injuries and neither did the camera gear in it... not that I recommend trying this scenario. The ambulance was nice inside though. BTW, wear a helmet when riding.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Lots of good suggestions. I ended up buying a small padded handlebar bag from Amazon for $20, into which I will put my Ape Case padded insert. It will be plenty for my application. It can be converted into a small shoulder bag, has enough room for a second lens if I decide to take one, and the flap opens away from you so the camera can be accessed easily.

I have several sling bags and love them. I have a TT Turnstyle 5, A PD Everyday knockoff, and a Tenba Solstice, which is similar in size to the Turnstyle 20 but with better access. I did very much consider using one of them for this, but the thought of riding my bike on a humid 90 degree day and that thing on my sweaty back is a non-starter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom