What are your thoughts on NEX?

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the NEX3 and just picked up the 5n. They have great IQ, but they are ugly for sure!! Most m4/3 cameras have better user interface, IMO. Most importantly, there are simply not enough native NEX lenses in the market as of today.
Lenses as well.. I can't believe Sony hasn't figured that out yet.. they are strapped thin and trying to cover to many markets.. TV's, Video games etc.. they are not FOCUSED. .. no pun intended.. LOL

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
MrDoug said:
Lenses as well.. I can't believe Sony hasn't figured that out yet.. they are strapped thin and trying to cover to many markets.. TV's, Video games etc.. they are not FOCUSED. .. no pun intended.. LOL

Need to make them smaller too. If Pentax can make small fast lenses for its cameras, so should Sony. Although I suppose the E lenses have built in AF motors vs the screw driven Ltd's.

jlabate

Mu-43 Regular
In the September Rangefinder magazine there is this -

E-P3 body = 122mm wide x 69.1mm tall x 34.3mm deep

NEX-7 = 120mm wide x 67mm tall x 43mm deep.

It should be noted though that the 43mm depth of the NeX-7 is measured at the grip on the right hand side. Disregarding the grip the body is 25.5mm deep. And all this with a built-in flash and a built-in EFV. No in-body IS though.

Are there any comparisons of body size of the NEX 5N/7 and EP3/G3?

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In the September Rangefinder magazine there is this -

E-P3 body = 122mm wide x 69.1mm tall x 34.3mm deep

NEX-7 = 120mm wide x 67mm tall x 43mm deep.

It should be noted though that the 43mm depth of the NeX-7 is measured at the grip on the right hand side. Disregarding the grip the body is 25.5mm deep. And all this with a built-in flash and a built-in EFV. No in-body IS though.

In the October issue of MY MIRRORLESS MONTHLY:

NEX avg. lens size: full 16oz soda can
PEN avg. lens size: half a red bull

jlabate

Mu-43 Regular
My legacy lenses seem to stay the same size regardless of the body I use them on. And they're my favorite to use.

But I do wonder what are the limitations when trying to make small lenses for APS-C sensors vs. m4/3. The X100 had a tiny fast lens.

In the October issue of MY MIRRORLESS MONTHLY:

NEX avg. lens size: full 16oz soda can
PEN avg. lens size: half a red bull

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
My legacy lenses seem to stay the same size regardless of the body I use them on. And they're my favorite to use.

But I do wonder what are the limitations when trying to make small lenses for APS-C sensors vs. m4/3. The X100 had a tiny fast lens.

The Nex is great for legacy lenses if you like the focal lengths that result. I had a Voitlander 50 that I used with both m43 and Nex and I really liked the handling, MF, etc on the Nex, but the 75mm effective focal length always felt like no-man's land with that lens. Shooting it at a 100mm effective length on the m43 gear always seemed more useful to me. But given the weakness of the native Sony lenses so far, legacy lenses really bring out the best in the Nex. A lot of folks seem to shoot 28 or 35mm lenses to get something like a normal, neutral focal length.

In terms of the X100 lens, its fast, but its not really tiny - it looks tiny because its on a fixed lens camera and they were able to design the whole system so that much of the lens is held within the body of the camera. If it was part of an interchangeable lens system, there would be a lot more lens showing outside of the body. I'm not sure the Nex lenses are as small as they can get, but there are real limits with those sensors, it appears.

-Ray

Bill

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill (really)
I have the NEX-7, the Sony/Zeiss 24mm and the Sony 50mm. Those two lenses cover a lot of ground.

Before I actually handled the NEX-7, I was put off by its design. But I got over that. The menu interface is poor, but the Tri-Navi arrangement is brilliant. (Becasue I shoot RAW, I don't need to be in the menus much anyway.) And the EVF....

I love my G3 (I carry it every day) and won't get rid of it, but I don't plan to replace it either (except for an accident, I suppose). And, I have what I think is an excellent selection of m43 lenses, so it fills the gaps from the current E-mount selection from Sony. But as time passes (and if Sony comes to the party with great lenses) I will probably focus on the Sony.

Pim

Mu-43 Regular
I briefly owned a NEX 5N not too long ago (got it on the cheap) and actually quite liked it... The body was a little too small for me, and the lens (kitlens) was a little out of proportion of course, but the overall experience was quite positive. I guess I must be one of those photographers who does not need 3 wheels on my camera, once I had set up the NEX I found it to be working very well indeed for my style of shooting (which is Aperture priority, Auto ISO and Auto WB 99% of the time anyway). I found the lack of buttons actually quite refreshing and the couple of programmable buttons still give you enough control I think.

In the end I sold it again, not because I was not happy with it (the pictures I took with it were quite nice actually), but because I do not really want to own two different system cameras, and as a system currently I much prefer the mu43 (NEX does not have UWA yet for instance which I like a lot). With the new upcoming cameras and lens announcements (rumours anyway) I am keeping an eye on the system though, I still think it has the potential to become a very good system. NEX 7 in my opinion is the nicest camera to hold of any current mirrorless system, it just feels so right in my hands, so I hope NEX 6 will retain that form factor, whilst cutting the price and adding some nice lenses... If that happens I will have another look probably...:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom