What are your thoughts on NEX?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by 369, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    I have seen some samples of the NEX 5N over at fredmiranda and it really looks good. What do you guys think about the sony NEX systems? Does anyone here own it? How does it compare to M4/3 or the more recent e-p3.

Just trying to gather some info?
    If this is not the right thread please move it.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There should be a NEX or "other systems" forum this could be moved to.

For me, I'm keeping my eye on them, but the 5n has the "clicking" issue, the 7 is a bit too much money for me and not here yet, and I tried the C3 at Best Buy with the intention to purchase one, but they shot the ergonomics to heck, and then there's the continued lens issue across the system (i.e. lacking or odd lens options). The NEX 7 + 24mm samples I've seen also don't look good (but always caveated with "this is preproduction").

Finally, I find the NEX colors overcooked, and this has continued to show up as a problem in the new cameras (especially the red channnel).

As I say, I'm keeping an eye on them, but I don't see enough there. The 5 and 3 were promising, but I'm not sure I like where they ended up heading (again, apart from the sensor high ISO output and what seems to be some better micro lenses for the corners).

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting concept - ugly camera. :wink:

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

+1 :cool:

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I had a Nex 5 for a while. The Nex 7 is probably EVERYTHING I'd ever want in a mirrorless camera body....

BUT....

The lenses, with the exception of the 16mm, are big. Not huge, but out of scale with the cameras in my opinion. And there aren't many yet. But even if you assume they'll all be out there tomorrow, everything but the 16 and maybe the 35mm is bigger than the kit zoom.

The sensors are really nice, I like the cameras just fine. The DR and low light performance is notably better than m43. But the lenses just don't do it for me. But for those who are ok with the lack of lenses currently and size of the lenses in the pipeline, very little downside - could be a great system.

-Ray

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I have the NEX3 and just picked up the 5n. They have great IQ, but they are ugly for sure!! Most m4/3 cameras have better user interface, IMO. Most importantly, there are simply not enough native NEX lenses in the market as of today.

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Pretty much sums it up. If you're buying a system (body plus lenses) to carry in a body, :43: has a big size advantage. However, the NEX-7 is what I want the GFX to be modeled after - OLED viewfinder in typical rangefinder position, more direct manual controls, etc. If Panasonic and Olympus can generally keep up with the other technologies introduced by Sony, etc., then I will stick with :43: due to its system size advantage.

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The Nex system isn't mature enough for me yet and I don't like the feel of the camera with a bigger lens. I don't like the gf2/3 because of the same reason to be fair. The Sony is a great camera just not for me.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I wish they would dump the Minolta Dimage 7/5 grip.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think NEX-7 is simply the best camera of 2011. But the NEX system as a whole doesn't excite me. They don't have enough lenses and their focal length choices are a bit strange. For example, why make a 50mm 'portrait' lens if it clearly should be in the 60-70mm range?

That said, I could probably live with NEX-7 + 16mm pancake + 50mm lens for portraits and moderate telephoto. The only thing missing is a fast normal prime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    I have to agree that asthetics play an important role in how we feel about a camera, and the NEX are way out of proportion to their lenses. Even the pancake lens seem to look funny on it. In a word. UGLY
    But, I friend of mind has one and from what I have seen IQ is great.

12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    As many have said, the Nex-7 body looks great, but the lenses are sparse and those that are available are mediocre optically and large. I was drooling over the Nex7, but kept coming back to their lens roadmap - nothing too exciting as a *system* through the end of 2012. By that time, we may have a response from Canon, probably another round of Nex bodies, and certainly cool stuff from m4/3.

On the other hand, if Fuji resolved the maintenance niggles with the X100, I may add that guy to my kit. Seems to make more sense for me than a Nex7 with only one very good prime (Zeiss).

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    There's something to be said about a beautiful looking camera. The X100 is a beauty. EP1/2/3 are beauties. NEX ... aargh. And yes, I'm being totally shallow. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Me thinks NEX-7 looks bloody beautiful with its black kit lens. Or with the equally black 24mm Zeiss.

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Hehe. Beauty is subjective! :) The 7 does look prettier than the 3/5.

Here's hoping that the Zeiss is a winner.

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Agreed:2thumbs:

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Qualified agreement - it is the best camera body announced in 2011 :biggrin:

18. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I don't get what the fascination is with the NEX-7.

So you guys are telling me, if Pana-Oly built something with a similar laundry list of features (which you know they can), considering it's arsenal of lenses, you would still praise the NEX-7? Is it the aesthetic design that gets you?

To me, it just looks like a smartphone paired up with a soda-can.

*quietly puts in his NEX-7 pre-order*

19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The way I see it, the NEX camera bodies are simply the best mirrorless bodies on the market, by a wide margin. (Leica notwithstanding, I plead ignorance.) The E-mount lens story is, as you all probably know, pathetic. I was discussing cameras with my dad today; I bought into m4/3 because of the lens selection. He told me up front he'll probably never take the kit zoom off, so NEX is perfect for him.

I think that pretty much sums it up. The NEX-7 is fabulous, but so are the 5 and 3 IMO.

20. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I do think NEX7 fascination will decline, at least with m4/3 users, when the Panasonic GFX1 is announced with the only major difference in the body being sensor size.