What are your super blood wolf moon shooting tips?

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tips? Don't live near me either. :shakehead:
Tripod, set a delay or use a remote to minimize wobble and as previously mentioned take as many images as you can for noise reduction so you can try to pull the detail out from media stacking (shoot raw, shoot raw, shoot raw...)

Set exposure to manual, do some test shots and get exposure nailed. Bump shutter speed up by 1EV increments and do the same for ISO until you get a preview that you like for the exposure, then bring down shutter speed and ISO until you find there's no blur/detail loss.

If you've got clouds and there are some openings then hopefully you get some shots in.

Good shooting. Hopefully anyone else with an opportunity in the Americas sees this topic and gets a chance to take a shot.

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
Enviroment canada calls for clear skies in calgary tonight
Overcast right now at 8 45 pm :crying:
I would really like a job at enviroment canada
Get it wrong most of the time and not lose your job

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Quick snap with 12-60
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

longviewer

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Hope nobody is packing to leave SW Washington, it's kinda clear out!
Shooting raw+, spot metering manual focus on tripod w/2s timer. 1/200 for a great sunlit moon, 1/40s shows copper color (shooting at iso800 on GX1).

Tips? Don't live near me either. :shakehead:
p.s. glad I picked up the zD 70-300 f/4-5.6 last week! :)

Last edited:

longviewer

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Cold out, so I switched to the Yi M1 in RAW at iso1600. Shooting timelapse 1min intervals so I can hang out inside. Wimp :eek: it's really not cold compared to most of your conditions I suspect!

Interesting that the M1 will not focus the dZ lens at all :( at least not with current settings. Switched to a Sigma 100-300 around f/8. I'll have to try MF again at a less sensitive time to verify that.

-20ºC... feels like -30º with the wind chill... 11:39 pm... almost at full moon...

haven't got a clue what I'm doing but took a few handheld fuzzy shots about 10 minutes ago to see what's what... setting up on a tripod with shutter release and expect my shots to look as newbie like as the night newb that I am... lol... hey... this doesn't happen every day (or night) so I'm going to have a go anyway...

bundling up and heading out!

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Interesting that the M1 will not focus the dZ lens at all :( at least not with current settings. Switched to a Sigma 100-300 around f/8. I'll have to try MF again at a less sensitive time to verify that.
Try magnifying and then autofocusing. I find it seems to work well on the E-M1II when it comes to difficult conditions.

Hooked up the telescope to the GX8, but without a tracking mount I couldnt get an iso- shutter speed combo that would produce any detail. Apparently there isnt much light during an eclipse ;)
Switched to video at iso 12800 1/60, which might be salvageable, but didnt look great.
Finally decided to put the eyepiece on the scope and observe instead.

ok... so like, that was cold out... 10 minutes was about all I could handle.... will see in the morning if any of the shots turned out... if not, at least I can say I was there... This morning clearing snow from my driveway I thought the tips of my fingers were going to fall off after about 8 minutes. Later in the day I thought I'd lost my ears when loading up my vehicle at an Ikea store... tonight it was generally blood freezing throughout my body... shize this it cold... anyway, when it's safe to bring the camera out of its indoor enclosure I'll check out how fuzzy my wolf moon shots are... not expecting much but I guess it will be better than nothing... lol

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Had a fun time trying to take some images of this thing- and I quickly realized two things: 1) 150mm isn't long enough and 2) celestial bodies move a lot faster in the night sky than I thought.

Anyway, here's one, I might go through them and put another online tomorrow.

Attachments

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Couldn’t be bothered photographing the whole sequence (done that before and it always looks the same ) —- but just headed out into the street and caught the moon just about fully covered by the earth. When I’ve shot before, it was with a 300mm (600mm equiv) reach. Only had my 40-150 kit lens tonight.

The moon is directly overhead in El Salvador. I aimed my camera up on my lightweight tripod. I was once I identified the moon at a wider setting, I zoomed in and manually focused the lens. I set to aperture priority in this situation where the moon isn’t bright - set the 12 second shutter delay and fired.

I was already awake so figured what’s a couple more hours. Starting with the moment the bright light cut through the edge

For the series below, I set Exposure Dial to Manual, ISO to 400, f8 —— started at 1/80’th second and just kept increasing the shutter speed as more of the moon became exposed. Final shutter speeds were between 1/800 and 1/1250 depending on the cloud cover blocking light some.

Last edited:
newbie shots... like @cdmicha I realized my 150 even with 1.4 attached, wasn't quite long enough... should have brought the 300 with the 1.4 and ought have been more successful... but possibly not! lol... anyway... I'm thawed out now, card out of the camera and looks like ISO 6400 leaves a lot to be desired... oh well... maybe next time!

two shots... one with an almost full moon, and another a few minutes later with a nearly full moon

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
I had no luck once the eclipse was full, but got some okay shots of the partial. Also, I can't feel my fingers and toes.

John M Flores

Super Moderator

Super Blood Wolf Moon (Pentax Q-S1, 55-300mm zoom @ 100mm (470mm 35mmEQ), ISO1600, 0.5s) by John Flores, on Flickr

Super Blood Wolf Moon (Pentax Q-S1, 55-300mm zoom @ 200mm (940mm 35mmEQ), ISO1600, 0.5s) by John Flores, on Flickr

Super Blood Wolf Moon (Pentax Q-S1, 55-300mm zoom @ 250mm (1175mm 35mmEQ), ISO1600, 0.5s) by John Flores, on Flickr

Super Blood Wolf Moon (Pentax Q-S1, 55-300mm zoom @ 300mm (1410mm 35mm EQ), ISO1600, 0.5s) by John Flores, on Flickr

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I was about to going to bed, but my daughter texted me saying I should take pictures other than birds and dogs....so. Hand held, SOOC

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom