What are your om-d em-5 ISO settings?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tardegardo, Nov 6, 2012.

1. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    I know there are many threads about this, and many of them I have read.
    Most people suggest to set Noise Reduction = Auto and Noise Filter = Low.
    And that's what I did on my om-d and used to do on my old Epl-2 too.
    Today tried a different setting on om-d.
    Noise Reduction = On
    Noise Filter = High
    And woah! I like it much better, and at iso 3200 I can se almost no rumor nor artifacts….
    Have you ever tried it?
    What are your iso settings?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are the noise reduction and noise filter settings applied to RAW or just JPG output?
  3. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Well, I believe that any filter or tweak affects exclusively jpg files..
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah.. Thank you.

I find it much better to apply noise related filters in post....
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Does noise reduction cause .jpg softness?

When the images are printed, do you find them to be soft?

I recently made a set of photos indoors, no flash, which required upping the ISO to 3200 to get a hand holdable (for me) shutter speed, and the results were disappointing. I used the 12-50mm kit lens and shot .jpg.

I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion - that the EM-5 noise reduction caused the resulting softness - if you're experiencing no .jpg softness.

6. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Hi Jim,
    I am afraid I never printed any of them. On computer displays the look just fine though.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It all depends on what kind of look you like. Do you want your photos smooth and creamy, or crisp and detailed? I like the latter, and never use any noise filter at all on any of my Olympus cameras.

The hardware of the newest Olympus cameras (E-PL1 and newer) is bent towards the crisp and detailed side, with the weak AA filter. What that means is that you have more latitude for post production. You can capture a lot more fine detail, so if you smooth it out in post you are not losing as much as you would in the past. In the past, the AA filter would smooth things out in an attempt to prevent aliasing, then if you applied noise filtering on top of that you could easily lose all your detail to the point of no return. It's not as big an issue now, and I think easier for a person to apply their own individual tastes to their workflow.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Yes Ned,
    I know about pros and cons on noise filters and generic detail loss risk.
    But I am amazed that on O-md, differently from the epl-2, the detail loss with iso filters on is almost irrelevant (to my eyes at least).
  9. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    NOISE REDUCTION is applied to RAW. NOISE FILTER is not.

10. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Noise filter vs. Noise reduction

Can you explain the difference? I apologize for my ignorance.
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Noise reduction off
    Noise filter low

That said, I only use jpegs for small online representations and email. Generally I prefer noise to mush or glossed over detail. In lightroom I rarely apply any luminance noise reduction, and I find I can usually bump the default color noise reduction from 25 to 10 or 15 and still not have ugly, unwanted color breakup.

In black and white film I always preferred a nice, crisp grain and good accutance to the results of so-called fine grain developers that dissoved the grain edge and rendered a smoother but less detailed image.
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Ditto here...