What are your Macro extension tubes recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by m43renegade, Dec 13, 2015.

1. m43renegade

m43renegade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    i recently purchased the ZD50mm f2 macro.. and i,m loving it especially the portrait shots. i tried macro shots with it paired with my E-M1 the other day and it did pretty good. i was getting good sharp images. it was my first time taking macro shots though. i would like to explore more on macro photography by adding extension tubes to further magnify the subject.

i would like to ask your recommendations on what are those descent extension tubes to buy. i would like to keep my budget as low as 40USD for now. i love the Kenko extension tubes, they really looks robust and well made but it is not an option as of the moment since it will cost around 120USD (well, maybe if there isn't anything good enough under 40USD)

i prefer those extension tubes with stainless steel mounts as it will be more robust. i learned the hard way from my previous purchase of 4/3 to MFT adapter. i settled from the cheapest. the adapter came with a aluminum mounts, and its horrible, it is very loose on both mounts. it made me spend twice. i now got the DMW-MA1
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I got some cheap "FOTGA" extension tubes and they are working fine so far. They provide electronic communication between the camera and lens even when two are stacked together. The fitting is very snug although it does have a tiny bit of play with both together and the mounts are aluminum I'm sure. The main reason I got these is that they have a set of grooved rings on the interior barrel and the interior barrel has a slight hourglass shape. This shape in conjunction with the grooved rings keeps light from bouncing around the inside of the tubes which would cause flare. I had a set of Kenko tubes in my earlier digital camera days and they were first rate. I think the FOTGA set is fine for the little use I put them through. If you're going to use them a lot you might want to go with the Kenko set. Good luck.
    Bobby :coffee-30:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1