1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are your favorite papers for a Canon Pixma Pro-100

Discussion in 'Printing' started by lrlebron, Sep 12, 2016.

1. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro-100. I have tried a couple of the Canon papers (Semi-Gloss and Luster) which are not bad but would like some feedback from the members on what papers they like. I tend to do landscape and nature photography in both color and black and white.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I'd be interested in comments as well. Especially profiles for papers from other manufacturers, e.g. Epson.

3. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
  4. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I've been using Red River's papers with good results. I'm mostly doing wildlife and I'm looking for sharpness & saturation so I've mostly been using their gloss papers. My current favourite is ultra pro gloss 2.0. I have tried their pearl metallic, but I think it looks too weirdly metallic for my taste.

Red River sells a sample pack of a couple of sheets of some of their papers. I used this as a starting point to figure out which ones I liked.

Like most of the 3rd party manufacturers Red River has profiles for this printer on their website for each of their papers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I started a thread with sharing of opinions here, but nothing contributed lately.

Canon Pixma Pro 100 tips/knowledge sharing thread.

I love the Pro luster for glossy looks and the Premium Matte for more painterly look. Depends on subject though. It's very different than the other papers, but is really thick. I haven't tried any third party yet. I've got enough paper to last me for years from the Canon sales and I'm quite happy with the quality.

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
  7. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I just tested the Breathing Color's Vibrance Metallic paper. Works nicely on the right subject. I had a black and white picture of a metal water tower and a color picture of glass bottles in different colors and was very pleased with the results. I am getting the Red River sampler on Monday. I want to compare their metallic paper with the prints I created today.

8. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I've tested the Red River Polar Pearl Metallic paper. As far as I can tell it looks identical to Breathing Color's Vibrance Metallic paper. The Red River is a little less expensive and is also available in more sizes than the Breathing Color.

9. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    Tried some Epson Premium Glossy paper using the Canon Glossy profile and media setting with good results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tacoma16

Tacoma16 New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2016
    Pittsburgh PA
    Jon
    I really like the Canon Luster paper and also use Inkpress media luster. Also use the Precision colors refill inks and the Luster ICC profile from them as well

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I find that the canon platinum glossy does not print b&w accurately. It comes out with a brown tinge. I switched to epson premium for better b&w results.

Im trying red river too, but i should have got a trial pack in order to try other paper types. I got the matte paper - but i dont like it.

12. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I liked the Red River 47lb matte more than the Canon matte I tried.