What are your favorite papers for a Canon Pixma Pro-100

Discussion in 'Printing' started by lrlebron, Sep 12, 2016.

1. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro-100. I have tried a couple of the Canon papers (Semi-Gloss and Luster) which are not bad but would like some feedback from the members on what papers they like. I tend to do landscape and nature photography in both color and black and white.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    I'd be interested in comments as well. Especially profiles for papers from other manufacturers, e.g. Epson.

3. lrlebron

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
  4. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been using Red River's papers with good results. I'm mostly doing wildlife and I'm looking for sharpness & saturation so I've mostly been using their gloss papers. My current favourite is ultra pro gloss 2.0. I have tried their pearl metallic, but I think it looks too weirdly metallic for my taste.

Red River sells a sample pack of a couple of sheets of some of their papers. I used this as a starting point to figure out which ones I liked.

Like most of the 3rd party manufacturers Red River has profiles for this printer on their website for each of their papers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I started a thread with sharing of opinions here, but nothing contributed lately.

Canon Pixma Pro 100 tips/knowledge sharing thread.

I love the Pro luster for glossy looks and the Premium Matte for more painterly look. Depends on subject though. It's very different than the other papers, but is really thick. I haven't tried any third party yet. I've got enough paper to last me for years from the Canon sales and I'm quite happy with the quality.

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
  7. lrlebron

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I just tested the Breathing Color's Vibrance Metallic paper. Works nicely on the right subject. I had a black and white picture of a metal water tower and a color picture of glass bottles in different colors and was very pleased with the results. I am getting the Red River sampler on Monday. I want to compare their metallic paper with the prints I created today.

8. lrlebron

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I've tested the Red River Polar Pearl Metallic paper. As far as I can tell it looks identical to Breathing Color's Vibrance Metallic paper. The Red River is a little less expensive and is also available in more sizes than the Breathing Color.

9. lrlebron

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    Tried some Epson Premium Glossy paper using the Canon Glossy profile and media setting with good results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tacoma16

Tacoma16 New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2016
    Pittsburgh PA
    Jon
    I really like the Canon Luster paper and also use Inkpress media luster. Also use the Precision colors refill inks and the Luster ICC profile from them as well

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I find that the canon platinum glossy does not print b&w accurately. It comes out with a brown tinge. I switched to epson premium for better b&w results.

Im trying red river too, but i should have got a trial pack in order to try other paper types. I got the matte paper - but i dont like it.

12. lrlebron

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I liked the Red River 47lb matte more than the Canon matte I tried.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.