What are your experiences with Olympus OM-D ??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 100avchd, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 100avchd

100avchd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2013
    hello dear friend :43:,
    I am very happy to have bought my fantastic om-d
    a machine to recommend to all.
    I use with zoom 12-50 mm and 40-150 mm Zuiko in size M43
    I also use it with an adapter ring for the optics vintage
    canon fd 50 mm 500 mm f1.4 and f8 that used on the machine
    become a 100 and 1000 mm, I must say that the results are very good.
    now I'd like to take a canon fd 50 mm macro, I saw a great
    quality 'of images in your images to sample.
    I found for about $ 45 a lens sigma 28 mm f2.8 macro
    with connection for canon fd, what do you think?
    can 'be valid to the macro than my macro 12-50 native?
    I also bought a beautiful remote timer wireless pixels
    model tw-282, then I'll let 'see some photos.
    I'm sure this will help me remote control 'very well from the artistic side.
    As you use your om-d?
    I forgot one very important thing, how you use the camera
    with the objectives vintage??
    how you have configured and set?
    which mode 'used?
    how you have configured your function keys?
    also write here what are your experiences in general.
    thanks to all.

p.s sorry about my bad english ;-)

2. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    I think that vintage adapted lenses, except in rare cases, are only toy to play.
    Expecially with the omd for its high resolution and for macro photography, you need to use lenses with very high resolution.
    I have found the zuiko 35mm macro works very well on omd and it cost only 110-120€ used plus the adapter 4/3->m4/3.
    You can also find a zuiko OM 50mm f3.5 macro, it works great on 12mpx sensors, I don't know how it works on 16mpx sensor.

I could wrote this in Italian but it won't be helpfull for the others users!
  3. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Hi - I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with your OM-D!

I have been using Canon FD lenses with my :43: kit with an adapter from an e-bay seller called ciecio7 - good price and high quality, you can also get them with tripod mounts which is good for longer lenses.

The good thing about the 2.0 crop factor of the :43: sensor is that macro lenses such as the Canon (new) FD 50mm f/3.5 that normally provide 1:2 magnification on film bodies (you need extension tubes to get 1:1), will give you 1:1 straight away on the OM-D, and more with tubes - they came in 25mm and 50mm versions and you can stack them. I don't think you can get that far with the macro mode on the 12-50. The 12-50 offers 0.36x magnification which is 1:2.7777.

Apart from the 50/3.5 macro, Canon made some great telephoto macro lenses, the benefit when using them is that you don't need to get that close to the subject. They made the new FD 100mm/4.0 macro which I have and I love it, and their best one in my opinion is the new FD 200mm that has a tripod collar: Canon FD 200mm Macro Lens The great thing about the 200mm is that it has internal focusing - both in the 50mm and in the 100mm the front element extends quite a bit when focusing close, the 200mm stays the same. It also goes to 1:1 without extension tubes (2:1 on OM-D) and you can work at 1:2 (1:1 on OM-D) from 50-something cm.

With the 100mm and especially the 200mm, the OM-D will feel front heavy, not as much as the PEN bodies but you will feel it.

Another well known macro lens made in Canon FD mount is the Vivitar (original) Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro which I never owned but many people give it high praises, you can find it on eBay and it's priced between the Canon 100mm and the Canon 200mm. The 200mm is the hardest to find and most expensive.