What are your Custom Modes

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Finally set up my C modes as C1 Monochrome L. C2 Landscape. C3 Portrait. Ease of use. Always there. No monochrome shots appearing as I take photos in A, M, or S anymore. There are a lot of settings available on the GX80. What are on your C dial?

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
C1-RAW photos, C2-4k video outdoors, C3.1-60P video, C3.2 60P ex-tele video, C3.3- slow motion video, M Movie mode-indoors video. (GH4).

mmmartin

Mu-43 Regular
If I may ask: what exactly do the C modes save? The manual's very vague about it, and I've never explored this fully before. I'm on a GX85/80, if that matters.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
If I may ask: what exactly do the C modes save? The manual's very vague about it, and I've never explored this fully before. I'm on a GX85/80, if that matters.
Shortcuts, favorite settings rather than going into the menu.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As far as I can tell it saves all your current menu settings [not sure if there are some settings that are not saved]
So you go into the camera menu and setup the camera in a certain way, possibly IBIS off monochrome view etc then save the settings to a "C" then when you turn the dial to the "C" you get your setting back. One good thing about that is if you change a setting while on that "C" it does not save it on exit. Next time you select the "C" it will be back to where you saved the settings.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Have not set up any one of the yet, put plans to do it so this tread may come in very handy.

Have David Thorpes book on the GX8 on the inbound from Amazon.co.uk, could not get on with the kindle version, but that was what I expected somewhat...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have not set up any one of the yet, put plans to do it so this tread may come in very handy.

Have David Thorpes book on the GX8 on the inbound from Amazon.co.uk, could not get on with the kindle version, but that was what I expected somewhat...
I purchased the hard cover version. not to bad. The only thing I found that needed more explanation was the one point colour filter example[P25]. For his way to work the same as the example you need to have "Touch Tab" on page 94 turned to off or there are a few more steps, and I found I needed to press Fn3 not Fn4 to bring up the yellow focus box.

The margins on his book are big enough to be able to scan the book to get a PDF version without splitting the binding, so now I just use the scanned version.

Edit:
Played around with some settings and the one point colour filter again today.
Don't know what I changed but now the example works the same as in the David Thorpe book weather you have the "Touch Tab" enabled or not. When I first tried I had to first click the pipette icon in the touch tab as per the below picture before I could select my colour. Some youtube videos showing you how to use this filter also show that you have to click the pipette before you press the onscreen set icon to select your colour.

Below shot has "Touch Tab" enabled to show the pipette icon
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After selecting the colour you want and pressing the right button on the 4 way switch "WB" to adjust the colour intensity I found that if you go past half way the colour is also shown in surrounding objects. The table had some red / brown colour that you can see coming through because I had the slider past half way. If you stay at half way of below the rest of the picture stays B&W

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The above image shows more colour bleeding through as I went past half way with the colour saturation. Also shows the pipette icon that for some reason I did not have to select today.

The interaction between the menu's is a bit hit and miss for me as I do not understand how a lot of options interact with each other.

This may help anyone else playing with this nice feature. Seems to work nice with flowers.
If you have trouble getting the camera to select your colour because it is small I found that if you have a large object of a similar colour target that then move back to your subject. The colour does not need to be exact, and you do not need to target your subject.

Last edited:

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
One issue I have had with the GX80/85 CUstom modes is that shooting mode (PASM) is not available anywhere in the menus. SO when you decide to switch modes, the CUstom settings are thrown out and you are back to wherever you were before. So, if I have a Monotone Custom setting, But I set it up in Aperture Priority mode, that becomes a set part of the Custom setting. If I am using it and decide to put on a flash and switch to Manual mode (y'know to control stuff); my Custom settings are gone when I rotate the dial to "M". Bad form Panasonic, bad form!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One issue I have had with the GX80/85 CUstom modes is that shooting mode (PASM) is not available anywhere in the menus. SO when you decide to switch modes, the CUstom settings are thrown out and you are back to wherever you were before. So, if I have a Monotone Custom setting, But I set it up in Aperture Priority mode, that becomes a set part of the Custom setting. If I am using it and decide to put on a flash and switch to Manual mode (y'know to control stuff); my Custom settings are gone when I rotate the dial to "M". Bad form Panasonic, bad form!
I think I see what you mean, but overall I like the way Panasonic have implemented the custom settings. They are bound to get better with time.

mmmartin

Mu-43 Regular
Oh wow, it saves everything, even ISO/SS/aperture. I set C1 up for night photography with the P20/1.7: manual, ISO 3200, f1.7, 1/40s (stiil testing this—could I go slower?), EVF only. Now if only there was an option to turn the status LED off…

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
Oh wow, it saves everything, even ISO/SS/aperture.…
C-memory does not save some global camera adjustments (settings menu) like monitor/evf settings or economy settings.

GH5 has ability to save the whole camera settings status to SD-card.

mmmartin

Mu-43 Regular
C-memory does not save some global camera adjustments (settings menu) like monitor/evf settings or economy settings.

GH5 has ability to save the whole camera settings status to SD-card.
It seems what's listed in the manual is what it doesn't save, and that's quite alright. It's the operational bits that matter.

Hopefully they could do the saving-to-SD-card thing through firmware updates, too—I don't see why they'd restrict that to the GH5.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
It is worth noting that you can also program different Fn settings for each Custom mode. I have found that to be immensely valuable.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Oh wow, it saves everything, even ISO/SS/aperture. I set C1 up for night photography with the P20/1.7: manual, ISO 3200, f1.7, 1/40s (stiil testing this—could I go slower?), EVF only. Now if only there was an option to turn the status LED off…
Electrical tape or fingernail polish are effective ways to turn off the Power LED.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I've set C1 to L.Mono , aperture priority, Auto Iso 1600, spot metering, exposure comp on rear dial, back button focus.

I havent set the others yet but one is likely to be a 4k photo pre-burst setup for a sports mode, just to see how it works out.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I havent set the others yet but one is likely to be a 4k photo pre-burst setup for a sports mode, just to see how it works out.
I set my 4K to continuous while shutter release held. I found the pre burst where the camera records before and after your shutter press too hard to capture the moment. You still have to virtually guess the right moment. With continuous for a few seconds I have a much better chance, and since you can delete the whole sequence in one go after you save the shot you want no need to save unwanted sequences.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
C-memory does not save some global camera adjustments
I've been ignoring the C-settings.

Before I dive into the manual to figure out how to do it, can I save focus peaking in a C-setting so it is always on?

I shoot with manual focus lenses a lot, and have programmed the lower front button to turn on focus peaking. But it seems any interruption (power off, sleep mode, etc.) resets it to focus peaking off, which is highly annoying when I'm shooting all day in manual focus, and have sleep and power-off settings for best battery life. (It doesn't forget them when it sleeps!)

newmikeman

Mu-43 Rookie
The custom settings are all very well but if you select say C1 and then change something (like Bytesmiths' focus peaking) the change is lost if the camera goes to sleep or is turned off. To keep your changes to settings while in a C mode you need to save the set over again using Cust Set Mem in the Setup menu.
Olympus have a menu item to retrieve a Custom Mode, whatever Mode your Mode Dial is set to. That would let you use one of your C modes as a starting point loaded from its Custom place into "general" (PASM) mode and then you could wander around all day letting the camera sleep when it's tired and not losing your current settings; then at any point you could switch to another C mode for something completely different and return to "general" and resume where you left off before that eagle started doing aerobatics over the piazza, or whatever!
Panasonic please note that you need to add that "Cust Recall Mem" to the menu please.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom