1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are you watching?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by DeeJayK, Jul 20, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    In the spirit of such threads as [thread=452]What are you listening to?[/thread], [thread=9000]What are you reading?[/thread], [thread=21386]What other websites are you addicted to?[/thread] and [thread=26753]What are you Drinking ... Right Now ... ?[/thread], how about one where we share what television shows or movies we're viewing? I did a bit of poking around, but couldn't turn up such a thread, so here goes.

I've got my television watching pared down to just a single show these days: Breaking Bad. It's a fantastic character study with some really incredible acting and it's fifth (and final) season is just starting. To me, it's the best television series since The Wire, which might be my favorite filmed entertainment (encompassing television and film) of all time.

The difference in how I feel about these two shows can be summed up as follows: when I encounter someone who's not watched Breaking Bad I feel bad for them that they've not watched this very entertaining show, but when I meet someone who hasn't seen The Wire, I envy them because they've still got the opportunity to experience this fantastic show for the first time.

As far as films, one I recently watched that comes to mind is Bellflower. This is an extremely strange film that will not appeal to everyone. In fact, upon reaching the ending credits I had a hard time deciding whether I loved or hated it. It took me a while to even figure out what I had just watched.

One interesting thing about Bellflower for those reading this forum is that the filmmaker used cameras that he hacked together himself and shot it using some really strange effects at times (washed out, overexposed, tilt/shift, etc.) It all makes for a very unconventional, but ultimately very affecting movie.

Now it's YOUR turn, let us know what YOU are watching.

2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The Wire is probably my favorite show of all time.

Right now I'm watching Breaking Bad and The Newsroom on HBO. The Newsroom is a nice refreshing show as this time of year the quality type TV shows are pretty absent from the line-ups. I'd highly recommend it if you like fast paced, intense drama.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm struggling through Mad Men on DVD. The scenes are gorgeous and the characters are interesting to a point, but the infidelity gets a little old. I think I'll finish out season 1 and think on whether I want to continue.

I'm also DVRing and watching The Outer Limits which is running on local TV here (we don't have cable, so we use rabbit ears, and at 4am in the morning. THIS TV is showing The Outer Limits.) This TV Home - A free, premium channel for your favorite Movies and TV shows

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm watching "Modern Marvels: 90's Tech" on the History channel. One of the best channels ever.

But I been watching since 12:00 and already watched
    Modern Marvels: 60's Tech
    Modern Marvels: 70's Tech &
    Modern Marvels: '80's Tech.
    It's been awesome

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice. I'm also a huge fan of the Wire. It's a difficult show to get into though..I've tried to sell a few people on it, but wasn't successful.

Breaking Bad is definitely one of the best shows out there. Sadly I've yet to get caught up on the season opener (no spoilers!).

Also looking forward to season 3 of the Walking Dead.

And for mindless fun and often brilliant comedy, I am always happy to watch Community (here's hoping it survives another year).

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I love(d) Eureka and was sad to see it go but the series finale was nice. I am also a fan of Fringe and Warehouse 13. Game of Thrones is a guilty pleasure as was The Tudors. I also watch Workaholics (after my son goes to sleep).

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I watched a pretty great documentary the other night called "Buck". It's about a "horse whisperer" and it actually restored my faith in humanity (which I thought was gone for good).

• Like Like x 1
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Oh and I agree that Mad Men can be a struggle. I watched the first 4-5 episodes and really couldn't get into it. Maybe it would help if I were older and could look back at that time period with nostalgia. But maybe it's just that I didn't find any of the characters that likeable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. emperorvince

emperorvince Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    NYC
    I just finished watching the whole series of River Monsters with Jeremy Wade and started on Star Trek..yes the one with Captain Kirk lol. Before that I watched 100+ episodes of Supernatural. I just discovered Netflix and refuse to sleep now !

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My son bought me "Dr. Strangelove" on Blu-ray for my birthday and I am watching it now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Slim Pickens ridin' that bomb down.

That's one powerful geo-political-emotional scene.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Yesterday evening: Bill Cunningham New York

A photography must - really, what a nice guy! Just looking at him work tells me I suck at shooting.

/ Also, Nikon FM goodness.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYqiLJBXbss&feature=player_embedded]YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, the first 4-5 episodes if the wire read like a more our less typical cop show, so I can understand how some have a hard time connecting with it. I always tell people that they need to stick around until Omar shows up -if they're still not hooked at that point, then maybe its just not for them. Of course at that point I have to cut all ties with them. :wink:

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm gonna put that show on my Tivo.

15. TDP

TDP Guest

UFC

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wow, that's a powerful recommendation. I'll have to seek that one out. Nothing like a well made documentary.

17. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    re-watching Battlestar Galactica in bluray.

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Original or remake?

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The Open Championship. :biggrin:

20. daimos