1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are you using for good reach?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gary Ramey, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I'm struggling right now. I've got the legacy 50-200mm 43 lens that is great but bulky as can be. I'm hesitant to jump on the 75-300 u43 lens because of the cost and the fact it is fairly slow. Anyone got any recommendations that aren't going to make me sell a kidney on the black market. I'd even like suggestions on adapted, manual focus lenses. Thanks,

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd look into getting a 135mm 2.8 MF lens that's sharp and can be had for a decent price.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've got the Panasonic Lumix 100-300 f/4.0-5.6. It works well even handheld on one of Panny's G-series bodies and it's faster than the Oly 70-300 at the long end as well. The Lumix's image stabilization works quite well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    I sold my 50-200 with my 43 collection when I bought my E-M5, I've bought the Panasonic 45-200 and the reach is matched but the quality difference is significant, what swayed me was the AF performance but I really miss the 50-200 quality.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've got the M. Zuiko 14-150 and the Lumix 45-200. 14-150 has less reach but is a much better lens - what I don't like about the 45-200 is the Chromatic Aberration....:redface:

It's a toss-up depending on conditions....Thus, I'm saving up for the new M. Zuiko 75-300

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I'm looking at the 50-200 right now. Images from it look great. I'm thinking a monopod would be a must with it. How do you shoot with it? Using the AF or maybe back button focusing and dialing it in w/MF. Do you have the old one or SWD? If you're thinking of selling I'm thinking of buying...

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, this is a spectacular lens with amazing quality. It remains one of my favorite workhorses in the studio.

Personally, I use mine hand-held 99% of the time. Of course, I also did this with this lens on my DSLRs for many years before going to Micro Four-Thirds. A lens that size is nothing for me to handle... The Zuiko 90-250mm f/2.8 on the other hand - now that's a beast. When hand-holding this lens, it's best to leave the tripod collar on, turned to the side. This puts it in a place where it will "interfere" with your hand whether you're holding it in landscape or portrait orientation. I put "interfere" in quotes because it's actually supporting the lens against your hand, which frees your fingers to operate the zoom and focus rings. Without this support, all the weight will end up on your fingers and make turning the rings very difficult, and as I'm sure you realize manual focus is pretty important when using this lens on m4/3 bodies. When you do AF though, you are correct that you should be using back-button AF. Personally, I just go with MF all the time... but that's my natural method anyways and I'm more comfortable and proficient with it than most.

I use the SWD version, myself. I don't think you'll find much difference between either when auto-focusing on m4/3, but I like that the SWD lens is mechanically linked for manual focusing.

zuiko_50-200mm_swd_web.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you want the same total reach, I would go for a legacy 200mm f/4. The OM Zuiko version is very good. That format is very light and easy to handle, and is only a half stop slower than your 50-200mm at 200mm.

e_zuiko_200mm_f4_web.

Or, for a little shorter reach at a stop faster, try one of the 135mm f/2.8 lenses. They can be super compact, and very easy to toss around on a smallest of bodies. I use the Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8. The Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 Pre-set with 15 aperture blades (aka the "Bokeh Monster") is also very well sought-after. The Konica Hexanon is another I would highly trust.

zeiss_sonnar_135mm_2,8_web.

Plus, with a 135mm f/2.8 you can also use a 1.4x teleconverter to make it a 200mm f/4. That gives you two lenses in one. I don't use my Zuiko 200mm f/4 anymore for this very reason. The Zeiss 135mm/2.8 with Zuiko EC-14 teleconverter packs to the same size as a group, and offers me two lenses in one.

Since you're going prime now, you can use the small size to your advantage and go even faster. If you get a faster zoom lens (ie, like the 90-250mm for instance), the jump in size is quite daunting. However, you can still keep reasonable size while getting even faster still in primes. For instance, you could pick up a legacy 135mm f/2 or 150mm f/2. Heli-mech was just selling a Canon FD 135mm f/2 on this forum a couple days back, in fact. Being primes, these are still a manageable size.

Since you obviously have a 4/3 adapter already, you would do well to adapt all your SLR glass to 4/3 rather than m4/3. This will allow you to use 4/3 accessories such as the fabulous Zuiko Digital teleconverters... on all your SLR glass. Pretty much the only legacy glass you can't adapt to 4/3 (the shortest of SLR mounts) are the rangefinder, cine, and Pen F lenses. Those have to be adapted straight to m4/3. You also need to adapt Konica AR lenses to m4/3 if you don't want to remove the tab off the lens itself, and if you adapt Minolta MD/MC to m4/3 that will avoid the need to use a cumbersome hex-key adapter since the 4/3 adapter is so slim it can't use the regular bayonet fittings. Those two mounts can still be adapted to 4/3 but are easier to adapt to m4/3.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Ned...great info...thanks so much.
    Juangrande - Well...I like it too much to part with it..haha. I was just looking for something on those 5 mile walks that's a little easier to manage. I usually take my light monopod with it because I can rest it on the ground on occasion. When shooting events indoors, its always handheld.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    P100-300 is what I use.

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

100-300mm often with a Sunpak 422D + TR-PAK w/ NiCAD RC batteries + Better beamer.

Once in a while a Takumar 500mm on a heavy tripod w/ gimbal head.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've seen some great prices on the 100-300mm here on the forum recently. It really is a nice lens to use hand held. Definitely worth considering.

13. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    In my experience you can get some good shots with adapted long lenses but the keeper rate is low. I have tried a range of adapted 200mm f4 primes and several zooms and once they get heavy and long you need a tripod or very fast shutter speeds to prevent shake and it has to be extremely sharp to get a better image than a super cheap Oly 40-150 with autofocus. I rely on a pentax 100mm 2.8 but it is short, fast, and light. My om-d has no trouble providing image stabilization and I can shoot with it down to 1/8. But longer lenses you have to keep them at a 1:1 shutter speed to focal length ratio.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have a legacy Pentax M 200 f4 that it nice and sharp. I often shoot hand held so I don't try to get much longer.

15. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    For speed I use Minolta Rokkor 135 f2.8 or Canon FD 200 f2.8 manual focus lenses.

For flexibility, I use a Panasonic 45-175 or 100-300.

I agree with poster above, the 100-300 is selling for bargain prices recently. I think of it as a 100 f4 with some emergency zooming capabilities!

16. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I bought a panasonic 100-300 for $400 off fleabay. Looks like as new condition. The AF is fast and accurate. At 200mm it is maybe a little sharper than the pentax-m 200mm f4 that I have. But that comparison is dependent on a perfect focus lock which I don't get every time with manual focus. The Panasonic also has a clear and neutral color balance, better contrast, no purple fringing, and exif data in the photos. And of course the pentax can't zoom either. I still like the old lenses but I have a feeling I won't be using that often in the future. The legacy glass is certainly staying home when I leave for Africa next week.

Net: I spent a few hundred chasing legacy bargains and it only turned up one really great lens and a lot of good glass that can't compete with modern AF.

17. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Canon SX50.

Sorry, I had to post it. It's the camera that pushed me over the edge and made me start selling off my m43 gear.