What are you reading?

cbrock

Mu-43 Regular
"Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease" among other medical books. Only 2 more months of all of them and I'm done! Then it's on to clinical rotations where I really learn medicine (and have more time for photography and reading books that don't end in -ology)

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Swapping between three -

* Ian Banks - The Business (re-reading it and enjoying it just as much as the first time)
* Antony Beevor - D-Day (all of this guys stuff is brilliant - particularly Stalingrad & Berlin)
* Douglas Adams - Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency (re-reading on the Kindle - great fun)

W.Ray

Mu-43 Rookie
Recently I've gone through the Millenium trilogy, the Wallender books by Henning Mankell and am currently reading "The English Assassin" by Daniel Silva.

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For eye candy, it is Ansel Adams 400 Photographs. What a fantastic collection of plate photos from the 20's to the 80's.

For fun, it is Stephen Fry "Moab is my wahspot"

And, 'cos I am an ex cop......................"Blue Blood" about one guy in NYPD and his career

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Swapping between three -

* Ian Banks - The Business (re-reading it and enjoying it just as much as the first time)
* Antony Beevor - D-Day (all of this guys stuff is brilliant - particularly Stalingrad & Berlin)
* Douglas Adams - Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency (re-reading on the Kindle - great fun)

Yeah, I read D Day too. Rivetting and sometimes a painful picture of some shortcomings in certain areas of the allied theatre. But who am I to say....not been there nor done that (But I have stood back to back in a bar brawl if that counts)

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm re-reading his hilarious war memoirs. Spike is/was a national institution in England and the main force behind the Goons with Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe (he wrote the scripts). Probably most non - native speakers won't have heard of him (or the Goons) - which is just as well because the humour would be totally incomprehensible! Apart from this aspect I find them interesting because they almost exactly mirror my father's. Spike was with the 8th Army in North Africa and my father was with the RAF (radio tech in a Spitfire squadron) in support. He, like Spike, then crossed to Sicily then Italy and was still there when the war ended.

I had to stop reading Spike's books on the train. Guffawed too much and it was embarrassing. Funniest books ever.

Wlodek

Mu-43 Regular
Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad". A terrifying history of the worst battle of WWII.
And somehow less depressing; short stories by the Russian Nobel prize winner, Ivan Bunin. A great writer.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
Read and Listen

Just started Williams Gibson's Zero History iPad version.

Also Listening VIA Audible to The Autobiography of Mark Twain Vol 1

BK

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan
Recently finished the Hangman's Daughter, and Murakami's Norwegian Wood.
I'm in the middle of Brothers Karamazov for weeks.. but too lazy to continue :rolleyes:

phigmov

Just finished Atwoods 'Oryx & Crake' and halfway through 'The Year of the Flood'. Both highly recommended.

Got to get back to Chomskys 'Failed States' after that - I keep putting it off because its frankly a little depressing.

bernard

Mu-43 Regular
Now I'am reading 2 books:
Chris Hedges - Empire of Illusion:the End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle
Jonathan Franzen - Freedom
Before that:
Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine : excellent book

phigmov

Well, I finished Atwoods 'The Year of the Flood' (recommended), ended up re-reading China Mievilles 'Perdido Street Station' (recommended) and now I'm about half-way through Dave Mitchells 'Black Swan Green' (recommended).

Then something lighter - Matt Fredericks '101 Things I Learned in Architecture School'. Looks like he has a few in the series - maybe one day he'll do a '101 Things I Learned in Photography School'.

angloasturian

Mu-43 Veteran
Austen/Vargas Llosa

Just finished 'Lady Susan, The Watsons and Sanditon' (the last two unfinished fragments) - the only Austen works I had never read. About to start 'El Sueño del Celta' (The Celt's Dream) by Mario Vargas Llosa (Nobel prizewinner in 2010).

Latest threads

Top Bottom