1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by angloasturian, Jan 28, 2011.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Seeing the great success of the 'What are you listening to?' thread I thought it might be interesting to start a 'What are you reading?´one as well.
    I'm presently reading an absolutely hilarious book called 'Narrow dog to Carcassonne' by Terry Darlington. It's about a trip he made on a canal narrowboat with his wife and dog, from Stone (near Stoke-on-Trent), where he lives, down to London via canals, then across the Channel and through Belgium and France down to Carcassonne! He has an amazing comic flair as a writer, sprinkles his text with all types of literary allusions and can also produce some quite poetic descriptions.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Just finished (for at least the fifth time) Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy". probably my favorite science fiction series of all time.

Am just starting Carlos Ruiz Zafón's "The Angel's Game", the follow-on to "The Shadow of the Wind" which I read last year and loved.

• Like Like x 1
  3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Student papers :(

• Like Like x 3
  4. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    I just read during lunch time (very short book) "Allegro ma non troppo" - by Carlo Cipolla (I have no clue what that translates to in English).
    This has to be one of the best books I've ever read.

Specially the part regarding "The fundamental laws of human stupidity". This stuff should be taught in High School. :biggrin:

I'm also reading (dare I say it...) "World War Z" by Max Brooks.
    Don't judge me.. I have a thing for zombies and post apocalyptic scenarios.
    Although usually I just watch it on bad films. This is the first time I read a book about the genre.

• Like Like x 3
  5. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
    There is a photo reference - photographic memory plays a large part in the stories.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    about 1/50s at f/1.4

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'm right there with you! Love the Zombie genre. World War Z is great :smile:

8. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    I am reading local history books -- working on 'then and now' photo series.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

alans, I read this trilogy by Stieg Larsson and found them some of the best page turners I'd read in years! With all the hype, I'd told myself I wouldn't want to read them...but then a friend lent me the first book when I was on a vacation and - I was hooked!:wink:

Right now, I'm looking for a good book, so Colin (anglostaurian) many thanks for starting this off, and my thanks to all who have added to it and will continue to.:bravo-009:

10. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    I just finished "Island" by Aldous Huxley. I'm about to start "The White Tiger" by Arvind Adiga. I really enjoyed Island, and haven't really heard anything aobut the white tiger.

• Like Like x 2
  11. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    "Road to Rome" by Ben Kane, book 3 in the series..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    I just finished "The War Within" by Bob Woodward, the last of his books on the George W. Bush White House years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown on my iPad using the Kindle app :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just finished Feed by Mira Grant (zombies and bloggers) and am currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith and Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (I live in Bellingham WA and the aliens land a ship in Bellingham Bay).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I recently read Keith Richard's memoir, Susan Casey's book about rough waves (I forget the title, maybe "Wave"?), the Aaron Ralston book about amputating his own arm after getting stuck in Canyonlands (yeah, saw the movie too). At the moment I'm reading a fairly darkly humorous take on modern day Judaism called "The Finkler Effect". I'm nearly finished it and then a couple of books about bicycle racing to put me in the mood to start riding and training again as the weather, hopefully, starts to turn...

I read pretty much everything on a Kindle these days. I don't believe in moving paper or plastic around the globe for books, movies, or music, when the electrons fly around the internet so easily. Photos too for that matter!

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Alternating between CCNA study guide and Moby Dick.

17. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Spike Milligan

I'm re-reading his hilarious war memoirs. Spike is/was a national institution in England and the main force behind the Goons with Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe (he wrote the scripts). Probably most non - native speakers won't have heard of him (or the Goons) - which is just as well because the humour would be totally incomprehensible! Apart from this aspect I find them interesting because they almost exactly mirror my father's. Spike was with the 8th Army in North Africa and my father was with the RAF (radio tech in a Spitfire squadron) in support. He, like Spike, then crossed to Sicily then Italy and was still there when the war ended.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

19. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    i'm currently reading the Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry. I never thought I'd like to read western novels, but I'm hooked now. I'm on my 3rd of the 4 books. I read Lonesome Dove first, then Dead Man's Walk, and now I'm reading Comanche Moon.

In between the 1st and 2nd, I had time to read True Grit, which seemed like a short story compared to the epic lengths of the McMurtry series.

--Warren

20. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Just discovered this thread

Completey agree that Asimov's foundation "trilogy" is a wonderful read, and a bit like Douglas Adams' trilogy in that it doesn't really care for the rule of thirds either. I've re-read both of them at least once.

I've just finished "The Blind Watchmaker" and "The Philosopher and the Wolf" which have been a welcome distraction as I struggle on through Roger Penrose's "Road to Reality" (I say struggle because I'm doing the problems too, it is otherwise enjoyable), although I can see myself becoming further distracted by Ted Hughes' Tales from Ovid - which is some of the first serious Hughes I've ever picked up; and it is simply breathtaking.