What are these tiny white dots on my photo?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dylandingo, May 15, 2012.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    So the other day I was at a rally in Madison, WI with my Oly e-p2 and my Oly 45mm 1.8 lens and one of the photos I took has these tiny white dots all over. They start at on the right side of this guys jacket starting from the bottom to about his sleeve of the arm that is held up. I noticed them a little bit in the color photo but they really came out when I converted my RAW to a black and white photo with Silver Efex pro 2.

At first I thought I must of had some dust on my sensor or something but I took these photos with the same body/lens, same day, and even almost the same processing and there aren't any white dots?

7205011594_065e18c251.

7205002866_ef9624f0b4.

7205012182_1024bcc258.

I know they are very small but they have been bugging me every time I view the photography.

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    He looks like he's shouting something....there are some by his mouth and the rest by the sleeve are in line with his mouth. I actually think it's a little spittle spray catching the light. Is this the ONLY shot they are in?

• Like Like x 1
  4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I did a quick look through my photos from that day it it looks like it is the only shot I got the little dots in. You are probably right, that didn't even cross my mind. The original color RAW of the photo is very faint color so I could only barely see it until I processed it.

Well how would I go about getting rid of those dots? I only have Aperture 3 and Silver Efex pro 2 to use right now. I would leave them but if they are distracting me they will probably distract another viewer.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Doesn't Aperture have a healing brush like Lightroom?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Any software with a clone tool will take them out easily. The easy-to-use online photo editor picmonkey.com can do it. If you don't feel like dealing with learning new software, I could do it for a fellow Wisconsinite in a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Screen_Shot_2012-05-15_at_22_10_45.

aperture has a retouch tool that should do the job

K

• Like Like x 1
  8. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks everyone, and thanks for the offer luke but if I don't do it myself I won't learn. I found the retouch tool(clone tool in PS) and I think I've fixed the problem. I use to use Photoshop CS2 some years ago but I am somewhat new to Aperture. Most of the time I know what to do, I just have to figure out what name they have for the same tools/processes and where they are located.

I left some around the mouth because I think it adds to the photo and the bits of spit are almost too small to deal with. How's it looking now?

7206190958_38ac017ebd_c.

9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'd leave the spittle flecked invective in place - adds to the story and high-lights the resolving power of the camera :)

10. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I left some around the mouth. The other little dots where a bit too distracting and it just looked more like I had a dusty sensor or something. I think if they were a bit more defined looking I would of kept them.