1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are the Side Effects of Shortened Release Lag-Time on the E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hkpzee, Nov 4, 2013.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    As I was going through the menu of my E-M1 last night, I noticed in the Custom "C" menu that there is a function called "Release Lag-Time". I clicked into it and found out that I could shorten the time lag between fully pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken if [Short] is selected. So I looked up the owner's manual and saw a note that this function will shorten the battery life.

First of all, I have never seen this feature in my previous Olympus cameras, including the E-M5. Does anyone know if this is a new feature or did I simply missed this previously?

More importantly, I am wondering what other side effects this might have on the images, such as potentially increasing the shutter shock of the images. Has anyone done any tests on this feature?

I think this feature might be pretty handy for capturing fast action...

2. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Not owning an E-M1 I'm purely guessing, but it sounds like a "soft release" that shortens the travel of the shutter button activation. I remember reading about it on one of the reviews but I forgot which one...

I don't think it would affect shutter shock per se, but it might affect your handholding stability.

3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    did not see the lowers battery life :) hmmmm I have it checked have to try testing both ways now :)
    I was under the idea it shortened black out time ?

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Apparently, it shortens shutter lag, but I haven't used it enough to tell the difference...

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The E-P5 has this option as well, so I would guess it came along as a feature of the new 1/8000 shutter mechanism. It probably just keeps continuous power on the circuitry that drives the shutter.

6. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah that to but I guess what we might notice is less black out time cause of that :) hahahaha or what I read into it at least :)

whats funny is I like the feel and sound better with it on normal :) ? not sure again like the AF tracking thing we need more details from OLY :)

what do you think about the sound and feel compared ? its like that double sound when its on short and the single sound when its on normal ?

still got some playing to do with various settings ;)

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    It sounded fine to me in single shot mode. Will try it in burst mode and compare when I get a chance tonight!

8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    but do you notice it kinda has a double sound almost ? where normal is more one noise ? I do think its a touch quieter in the on mode almost like the canons quite mode where it breaks up the sound

both sound fine in a sense its more there is a for sure change in the sound :)

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Hmmm... I haven't hear that double sound. Now, I'm curious. Will have to check again!

• Like Like x 1
  10. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I had a bad grip :) little do I realize I have a bad camera and just found out :) hahahhahah joking I hope :)
    listen to it in single mode
    put it in low continuous and single fire it for sure noticeable :)

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I compared both short and normal shutter lag settings in single shot and burst mode. I didn't notice any difference in the shutter sound at all... Definitely no double sound...

• Like Like x 1
  12. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    hmmmmm its not a radical double but on mine at least for sure kinda a two tone sound compared :) will have to try to record it or see if others notice it ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    The double sound is the slow shutter option (designed to reduce shutter shock). That mode is present on the E-M5 and E-P5 and does result in the "double" sound others describe.

14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    you are thinking the antishock setting under the E part of the menu this is something new for the E-M1 the E-M5 did not have :)
    this on the E-M1 is under the C release menu area :)

15. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    According to the manual: If [Short] is selected, the time lag between fully pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken can be shortened.*

And it goes on to say...
    * This will shorten the battery life. Also make sure that the camera is not subject to sharp impacts while in use. Such impacts may cause the monitor to stop displaying subjects. If this happens, turn the power off and on again.

Which really deepens the mystery of what it does or how it works :). Why should bumping the camera with this setting enabled cause the screen to die??

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's what I thought to myself when I read the note in the manual, too! Why would impacts on the camera cause the display to stop function when it is set to short shutter lag-time, but not when set to "normal" lag-time... There are things in the manual that I wish would be explained better. This is definitely one of them, along with Olympus' definitely of slow, normal, and fast target moving speed in C-AF Lock...

17. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    first phase of the shutter ? maybe the 2nd part I hear and more prominent in continuos mode is getting that ready again ?

works on the principal chip is exposed when button pressed shutter closes and chip is refreshed or emptied and then it opens and then goes back to the ready state

so shock could mess up what it is seeing somehow since it does not have a clearing phase on the chip and instead is so sensitive to the way its ready to do a wipe ?
    shutter closes wipes chip clean shutter goes by now instead shutter stays open and electronically wipes just in front of the lower part of the shutter passing in phases so very precise and maybe touchy electronically ?

kinda wonder if it somehow does not close and wipe the sensor but somehow just wipes it as the shutter is going past almost like a trailing effect of wiping ? don't know just trying to think what is going on but not going to bother with it for the shock thing for some reason I read it but did not read the shock thing !
    sony has this in the ned correct ?

18. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    might get a balloon and have my kids bounce it try to catch it right when they hit it in the air :) works well cause its slow coming down kinda gives you better timing :) hahhaha

really curious how its doing what it is and why its sensitive and more important does it matter ? I know sometimes that small lag is there because I have missed shots but having it more fragile in a sense of having to reset and eat battery is not good !

19. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I've never felt like I missed a shot due to lag between half press / focus locked and full press of the shutter on any of my M4/3 cameras dating back to the G1 :)

20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I agree the shutter sound changes, but I can't tell if anything else changes.

• Like Like x 1