What are the 'olympus colours' and do you like 'em?

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There were several reasons why I went with Olympus over Panasonic and the Olympus JPEG engine being one of them. I went on what others were saying, that the colors were more saturated and life-like than the Panasonic's. I have to agree that the colors from the camera are very nice. Of coarse f you shoot RAW it doesn't matter but if you shoot JPEG then the Olympus colors are great!

ghetto

Mu-43 Regular
I often mess around with a RAW file in Lightroom until I really like it, only to find I like the JPEG better.

same here, i've never been able to reproduce the olympus colours coming from raw manually. i can get more detail or more dynamic range but i can't get the colours like olys engine.

I think i read some where that olympus might be applying multiple colour settings to different parts of the image which may explain why...

p.s. i personally find nikon colours much more pleasing and slighty warmer than oly's, but the camera form factor thing keeps me on oly.

savvy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Les
same here, i've never been able to reproduce the olympus colours coming from raw manually. i can get more detail or more dynamic range but i can't get the colours like olys engine.

I think i read some where that olympus might be applying multiple colour settings to different parts of the image which may explain why...

p.s. i personally find nikon colours much more pleasing and slighty warmer than oly's, but the camera form factor thing keeps me on oly.
Give the Huelight colour profiles a try, I find they are a great starting point and fairly faithfully reproduce the "Oly Colours"

I have the Huelight profile for the OM-D, and almost always use it for my starting point since I like the colors better than the default Adobe. I usually still like the Olympus JPEG better for color, saturation, noise, etc.

I need to watch more Lightroom tutorials. There are a lot of artist out there that can make a good RAW file exceptional.

Latest threads

Top Bottom