1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are the downsides of using Olympus 12-40 on a Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Steven, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    The most obvious one I can think of is the lack of OIS, but are there any other negatives? Are there corrections performed by Olympus camera bodies that will not be done on a Panasonic body?
    Thanks.

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Shoot/stay shooting RAW and post process anything away. Its not like the chromatic aberrations are too bad on it. More than anything, you're getting that little bit of extended zoom range in practice.

3. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Lack of OIS is a pretty big negative. You might be able to find an ACR profile for distortions/CR to make post-processing a bit easier.

4. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Why not get the 12-35 Panny lens. Cost a lttle more but your already at $1000 with Olympus?

5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    No Ois could be a problem if you drink lots of coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  6. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    How is it we all shot 35mm film and digital for years without any form of stabilization and now people cannot live without it?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Same way we shot without auto focus or any sort of auto-exposure or even without built in light meters. And we shot with single ASA (ISO) film and couldn't shoot over ASA 400. Etc, etc, etc...

Which of those things are you willing to give up now that you have them? Stabilization is just another of those modern features that we got by without but are damned happy to have now.

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I don't think you're at a focal length that really requires OIS just yet... I can shoot at 80 mm-e fairly well as long as the shutter speed is kept at reasonable speeds.

9. Ultbruin

Ultbruin Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    GX7 solves OIS problem

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    OK, so now that we've determined that you give up OIS unless you have a GX7, can anyone think of any other downsides (I can't)?

OH -- It has that Lens Function button on it.. I suppose that would be non-functional..