1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are the chances that the VF4...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Andym72, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    ... which seems to be incoming very soon along with the E-P5, will work on any of the older PENs?

What do you think?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Given that the leaked images of the E-P5 seem to indicate that it uses the same accessory port (denoted by the "AP2" logo next to it in the image below), I would guess that the VF-4 will be compatible with all the other PENs as well (except the E-P1, which lacks an accessory port).

If I were a bookmaker I would put the odds of backward compatibility for the VF-4 at around -1000 (bet $1000 to win $100).

[​IMG]

3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    True, but just because the E-P5 has the same accessory port as the older pens doesn't automatically make the new accessory compatible with them; the older pens required firmware updates to make the VF-3 compatible with them. I certainly would hope that Olympus will make those required updates, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that doesn't happen either.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good point. A firmware update might be required, but I would think that would be something that Oly would prioritize since it would help them sell more VF-4s.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'm not a betting woman, but something tells me the new EVF won't be called "VF-4," perhaps "VF-5?" :smile: Oly's been clearing out the VF-2 and -3 at really good prices, so perhaps the new VF *will* work on existing bodies. I never would have bought the VF-3 if the VF-2 had a lock on it. So if this new VF has higher resolution and a lock, my guess is there will be lots of current VFs on the used market pretty soon. Just guessing, of course.

I do have to say this new body looks very sexy. I love the retro look of my E-M5, and I love the retro look of this new E-P5 too. But then retro brings back fond memories of cameras I learned on and that my dad had when I was a kid ... oh so long ago! :biggrin:

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If there will even be another VF in the near future...don't put your faith in rumours!

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The photo in this looks like it will be VF-4 (FT5) Next two Olympus E-P5 pictures! | 43 Rumors

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

VF4 death to any Chinese who uses it!:biggrin:

If it is backward compatable, i will be getting one or two.

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks, hadn't seen those photos yet! Interesting that it's OK to use the numeral 4 for an EVF but not a camera. :wink: :biggrin:

Edit: Oh! I just noticed that the 17/1.8 in the second photo is black!!!!!!!!!!

10. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Personally I hope it's not compatible with older cameras. Not to spite anybody but rather in the hope that it features a higher refresh rate, which probably wouldn't be compatible with older cameras. Then again I guess they could allow for a lower refresh rate on older models and a higher refresh rate on the E-P5. Never mind, carry on :biggrin:

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it's more camera dependent. The VF-2 EVF is superior on a 3rd gen Pen (or mounted on an OM-D) than it does on the previous models despite being the same accessory.

12. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If Olympus wants to sell viewfinders, it makes sense for it to work on as many camera models as possible. The FL-LM1 flash doesn't work on the E-PL1, but they don't make a profit on those.

13. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    The only reason you would not be able to use an VF-4 on an older PEN (excluding the E-P1 or course) would be if the VF-4 had some new tech that was so advanced the old hardware of the other PENs can't work with it. I find that unlikely considering Oly's past history. The only major reason for the AP2 port was the file transfer stuff for the less than popular PENPAL. 'AP1' has been good with all VF's from the start.

14. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    For those wondering if there will be a lock on the new viewfinder, if the current pictures are accurate, a lock button is clearly visible.

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    How so? I've never used it on anything other than my E-PL1 so I'm curious.

16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Higher resolution of the sensor? It can't be that the VF is actually better just that the signal it gets is better. I have not tried it personally but that would be my guess.

Not sure it quite works like you are thinking. But no matter it should be possible to match signals although a conversion algorithm might need to be added to firmware.

17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Again, how can pictures be accurate when it doesn't exist...there is no OFFICIAL info out there! Doing a search only comes up with discussions in forums of what they WANT the VF-4 to be.

18. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The images that are already out in the wild are not Photoshop fabrications or 3d computer graphics renders. They are photographs. So they are either photographs of an incredibly detailed mock up of a product Olympus have no intention of selling, or they are photographs of the real thing.

And at this point I quote Occam's Razor - the suggestion with the least contrived or least amount of assumptions is most likely to be the answer.

19. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    But they suggested its better on a third-gen PEN also, which has the same old sensor but improved processing. My guess is a better refresh rate, but I've only ever used my VF2 with my E-P2, so I've no idea.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've used the VF-2 on an E-PL5/PM1/PL3 vs the older E-PL1/2 and the viewing is much improved especially in low light (better refresh rates I believe).