1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What are the chances Oly will make a GM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Feb 24, 2014.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I really like that form factor... think Oly will make a simple PEN like that?

(maybe they read this forum...)

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Yeah, I'd figure the E-PM3 replacement taking a GM1-style redesign to be a E-PM4. More a stylistic change than functionality. Super devoid of buttons and as small as possible with only a shutter release, mode dial (maybe not), maybe 1 Fn button, and the new 14-42EZ.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Like this:

newoly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    My understanding is that the ILC market as a whole is contracting, mirrorless faster than DSLR, and that the PEN cameras have not been doing well for Olympus, so my guess is, not too likely? It seems like the entire ILC market is moving upscale.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It will be interesting to see what Olympus does with the PEN series. I can see them making the E-PM series a bit smaller and simpler. A lot will depend on how well the GM does{is doing}. I personally don't like that small or simple of a camera but that is me.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    That's pretty nice. I think Panasonic's 12-32mm lens is as important to the over GM1 package size as the camera body itself. In the case of this proposed Oly, wouldn't you like that with a fixed zoom that collpase flat or near-flat?

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It would be bundled with Oly's new 14-42EZ. All metal, a premium PEN, but tiny.

9. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It would be good if they kept the port for EVF's etc on a smaller body, though what I would like is a smaller body with say a 2" screen and an EVF. Though with some clever design they could move the screen to the other side and fit an EVF or how about a pop up EVF, anyway I would not get another cam that I can not have an EVF on. I have to wear reading glasses and can't walk around with them on (get migraines) so as nice as the GM1 is, I can not use it easily.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It would be a cool package from Oly to have a body like this, the new small kit zoom, and both body cap lenses.

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    You're right, it would just be a stylistic difference, an upgrade in material quality, and the current chipset and software. If the PENs are doing so poorly, this would be the only other PEN besides the E-P5. A "feast or famine" choice.

12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    That's my, purely speculative, thought as well. I could see a smaller form factor E-PM2 replacement intended too compete with GM1 and high end compacts, and an E-PLX that is a more fully featured entry level camera without EVF. And I think the release of a collapsable zoom is suggestive of an even smaller form factor Pen. And I could easily see them dropping the E-PX series. I know some folks really love it but I don't think it has much of a market niche.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't see much appeal in GM1, tiny flash with 1/60s flash sync, no stabilization. One would be much better served with RX100.

E-PM2 size is more than small enough, Oly needs to put built-in tillable flash in it.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, the GM1 is technically upscale, at least in terms of price vs. the GF6 and G6. But Olympus has a 6 produce lineup at the moment. Going to 7 seems like the wrong move.

• Like Like x 1
  16. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Just a little bit bigger but at least with one (have EPM2/VF3 on the way) I could attach my studio lights or the VF for bright sunlight. Now what I would like is a means of using flash and the EVF and I would be sorted, a PC socket would do it, but as I have other bodies its no biggie.

17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Olympus has a real opportunity to combine their IBIS technology with an electronic first-curtain shutter, in a small sub-PM2-sized camera body. No shutter shock! That would be incredible. Sadly, I just don't see it happening . . . would love to be proven wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Unlikely.

The next PENs will probably use the 3 axis IBIS from the E-M10. I doubt you can squeeze that into a body much smaller than the E-PM2 is now.

19. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    They should make an E-PM with higher build quality. Olympus should also simplify their product line and make the Pen cheaper, because it is not selling well. Maybe like this.

Pen : Similar specs and build quality as the E-M10. Priced slightly cheaper.
    Pen Mini: Same as pen, but with less buttons and no flippy screen. Similar priced as the current Pen Light.

20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    If PM/PL lines are making a loss, why not ditch these and collapse them into one oly 'gm1'? As long as it has a hot shoe, I'll be there. The PM1 build quality and size still rocks my world ^_^