What are the benefits...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RickVaughn, May 10, 2013.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    of choosing the OMD or EP5 over something like a K30/K5ii, other than physical size? I'll be purchasing a new camera by the end of June and can't really decide which way to go. I'm currently using an E-PL1 with a few primes and the 40-150.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Oly will have more consistently accurate focus.
    Ditto sharpness in most cases; and noise - at least vs. my K-5.
    Art flters can be v interesting.
    Size matters (to me).

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Other than physical size? Well, you've already got a few primes and the 40-150 and they'll work with the E-M5 or E-P5. In my view that counts for a lot.

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    A second go at this question.

What are you asking? Why are you asking it? We really need more information.

You're going to buy a new camera, fine, but are you going to keep your existing m43 gear or not? Are you thinking about getting a new camera for a specific purpose, in which case it will be co-existing with your existing gear or are you thinking of replacing your existing gear entirely? If you're thinking of replacing it entirely, why are you doing so? What makes you dissatisfied with it?

Your answer to those questions makes a difference when it comes to how people answer your question.

And while I'm asking questions, I'll throw out one you might also like to consider: "Apart from physical size, what are the disadvantages of choosing the K30/K5ii over something like the OMD or EP5?" That may sound as if it is the same question you asked, just turned around a bit, but it isn't. It's a quite different way of looking at the choice, especially if you're thinking of replacing your m43 gear because this question asks you to look at what else, apart from small size, you're going to give up.

As an example of how looking at things from a different perspective can change things, think about depth of field. M43 gets criticised because it's harder to get shallow depth of field with smaller sensors, you need faster and/or longer lenses in order to do so, and many view this as a negative. On the other hand, generations of landscape photographers deliberately worked with small apertures on large formats precisely in order to get deep depth of field, and that caused problems for them with long shutter speeds. M43 delivers the depth of field they wanted at much wider apertures and shorter shutter speeds.

So, answering your question solely in relation to depth of field, a portrait photographer would say that they would gain isolation if they moved from m43 to a larger sensor and that is an advantage. To answer my question, some landscape photographers would say that a disadvantage of choosing a larger sensor over m43 is increasing difficulty in getting the depth of field they want at faster shutter speeds.

The facts underlying those 2 comparisons are identical, the conclusions are completely in opposition to each other and that's because of the circumstances. You haven't defined your circumstances and no one can really attempt to answer your question without knowing them.

Give us some info and we can give you some in return.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The K30 is a good camera. OMD/GH3 is just as good. Image quality in this case should not be a deciding factor. So what is then? That depends on your personal photographic requirements.

Like others have mentioned, size is the most obvious benefit of the m4/3 system. I would also throw in diversity (in bodies and lenses) that makes m4/3 attractive to me.

6. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sorry for the vague question, sent it from work yesterday. I do enjoy shooting with the gear I currently have, but I know it's time to upgrade. I will be getting the Ricoh GR as a take with me everywhere camera. Does it make more sense to pair the GR with another APS-C camera or would an updated m43 camera be a more versatile option?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What does it matter if it's APS-C or 4/3? Just use the system you like, they're both as capable.

8. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Understood - it's not the camera... I'll go with what seems to tick off the most boxes for me at the most reasonable price point.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That's really not a good way to pick a camera as there are so many subjective qualities to be considered.